Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Weird interference problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DigitalHell, Nov 21, 2002.

1. DigitalHell

DigitalHell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a VW11HT projector, ceiling mounted. When I'm using Component Video, the picture is fine, but using S-Video, I have a horizontal line that scrolls up and down the screen... it alternates white and black. Sometimes it distorts the screen badly enough that the projector needs to reset itself (1/2 second outage). This problem is intermittent; sometimes the screen is crystal clear.

There is an electrical box in the ceiling that has an outlet in it. The projector is plugged into an APC Line-R Conditioner that is plugged into the outlet. The ground from the projector is screwed into the back of the APC box. This electrical box gets its power from a switch in my living room. I've since replaced the switch with a switch/outlet combo (using the same ground as the box in the ceiling) and all my components are plugged into that.

I've also connected a different S-Video cable directly from digital cable box to projector (it typical runs through a Sony STRV444ES). Same result.

I don't know where else to check for interference. Can anyone help?

2. DigitalHell

DigitalHell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No ideas? Anyone?

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Well, no one better qualified than me will take the plunge. I've had a lot of interference problems with S-Video, wasted my money on better, screened cable, put the vid feed in a separate conduit, laid it on the floor away from everything I could find, and eventually cured the problem by giving up.... I don't use S-Video any more. I got myself a keene synchblaster cable and haven't looked back since. It does RGB scart to VGA 15 pin, and does it brilliantly. Only fault is that sometimes when I turn on the PJ the image is set off to the left, and the right side of the image is black. This goes away if I switch off, then back on, the RGB source. It seems to me that S-Video is very interference prone, it's not the best for sending a signal over a distance, component is best at that. Your problem could be any electrical signal within 2m, it could be a cable under the floor, in the wall, an energy saving bulb upstairs, etc. Is it worth the hassle, how much do you need that signal? A pro-v or synchblaster might cure the trouble.