Weird graphics card problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Squiffy, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,529
    Just wondering if anyone had any ideas what the following problem might be.

I've got a 9800 Pro in my regular desktop. About 1.5 weeks ago it started producing weird artefacts in my WinXP desktop - when moving windows about you could partially see the desktop underneath. Or when changing to another Internet Explorer / Mozilla window I could see a fair chunk of the previous window contents in a weird red colour. The problem progressed, and I would find that I would get a weird red patchwork grid on the screen.

I looked at the troubleshooting guide, and as suggested I turned down hardware acceleration. No difference.

Nothing had changed on my PC, so I tried applying the latest ATI drivers.

No difference again. In fact things probably got worse as I now find that I see this weird red patchwork at the Bios boot up screen! I did restore back to the previous drivers, but this new problem has persisted.

But bizarrely, when I run a game like Far Cry it is fine?

I've tried all the obvious stuff - cables firmly in place, lowering resolution, etc.

Being technical, I reckon my graphics card is "knackered" and this is the excuse I need to get a new one?

Anyone got any ideas on what the problem may be before I throw my money away?

2. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    if your getting a problem in the BIOS then its not a driver issue as no drivers have been loaded at this point. So i would go and get a new one :D

3. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had the same problem some time ago with different hardware and it was caused by having video shadowing enabled in the BIOS :)

4. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,529
    I'll have a look at that.

Mind you, the PC hardware & bios hasn't been touched since I bought it last year so I'm not sure why that sort of setting would have an impact now?

5. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Did you maybe knock the card? Mine isn't held in with a panel screw (crappy case) and goes mental nuts and occasionally displays similar symptoms that you describe. A rejig always sorts the problems out.

6. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,529
    Well, I turned my PC on when I got home from work yesterday...

And it was fine?

Errrr. :rolleyes: Not sure what is going on there. I'll leave things to see if the problem re-occurs.

7. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,529
    Well, I turned my PC on last night and it was fine.

Loaded up Far Cry and it was fine.

Was just about to complete one of the bits of cooler, when weird artefacts started coming up on the screen. Which then progressed to total chaos and it was very hard to make out what was happening. I then got killed... :mad:

So I've checked out the bios, and it looks fine. The graphics card seems to be seated properly.

Looks like an upgrade is on the cards after all. If only I could find somewhere with X800 XTs in stock. :rolleyes:

8. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    maybe the card is overheating, never played that game but i know its got a high degree of detail. Get a new one. :thumbsup: