Weird glitch when turning system on...

SquidSurprise

Novice Member
Hey Everyone,

I've searched the site (and Googled) and can't find an answer for this...

I have a Samsung 85" QN90 (QN85QN90AAFXZC), Denon AVR-X6700H and Bell Fibe TV 4K receiver being controlled with a Harmony One Ultimate remote.

The Samsung TV is connected to the receiver via HDMI 3 (the EARC input) and uses earc for audio (I occasionally use a fire stick which is connected to HDMI 2 on the TV). The Denon is connected to the TV via monitor 1, and the Bell 4k Receiver via "CBL" input.

When I turn on the system with the Harmony remote, I get sound - but the TV stays on a blue screen. No matter which buttons I press (including "help" on the Harmony remote), this doesn't change. However, if I simply turn it off with the Harmony Remote and turn it on again.... it works fine!!

Anyone have any ideas to make this work WITHOUT having to turn it off and on again? I have CEC enabled on both receiver and TV.... I'm wondering if perhaps I need to alter the timing on my Harmony... but if so, why does it work after turning it off/on?!?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Yes - order of turning things on can give that result. So experiment with that and delays as needed to get it working as wanted.

My TV needs ON before firing up my satellite PVR made by Humax which goes via my AVR (in pass-through normally).

Likely no need to power off/on - just change the TV's AV setting to another input and back. That usually re-initiates the hdmi CEC handshaking process I've found.

SquidSurprise

Novice Member
Yes - order of turning things on can give that result. So experiment with that and delays as needed to get it working as wanted.

My TV needs ON before firing up my satellite PVR made by Humax which goes via my AVR (in pass-through normally).

Likely no need to power off/on - just change the TV's AV setting to another input and back. That usually re-initiates the hdmi CEC handshaking process I've found.
I tried changing inputs - on both the TV and the receiver to no avail... but I'm thinking I can change the order of the devices... will try tonight... I'm wondering if the problem is the Bell 4k Receiver, as it goes into sleep mode... but when I turn off/on every device, it would have had no chance to go into sleep mode first...

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom