Weird Freeview problem

eirefin

Novice Member
So.. we ‘sacked’ Virgin after many years & decided to just use Freeview on the two main TVs that we use - one in the bedroom, one in the living room - the main ariel runs through the Living room Samsung (no Virgin), whilst the bedroom Samsung Smart tv had the Virgin box attached and had never been used without it. They also both have an Firecube attached to them. Once the Virgin was disconnected from the bedroom, we used a splitter to run the ariel through from Living room to bedroom (we’re in a bungalow) & all seemed to be working ok on both tv’s..... until.. i was watching a Freeview HD channel in the bedroom- on the Smart Samsung and my partner was watching - something - in the Living room on the Not-Smart Samsung.... he turned off his tv for the night & then suddenly all of my HD channels disappeared. .. So it seems that, as long as his living room TV is on then my bedroom HD channels (101 onwards) work fine - his tv is turned off (just the tv itself via remote, not the power itself, to the cube etc) then my channels just stop totally ... anyone have any ideas at all please? 🤔

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Q. Is there a masthead type amplifier (booster) involved in this aerial system?

If so it possible the main TV is providing the DC power to it when on... and in standby not - ergo no signal to the bedroom TV.

Check on the lounge Samsung for an 'antenna power' option in the menus (tuning/setup)?

If this is the problem it's solved by using an external masthead power supply unit (one with two outputs would feed both rooms, a single would need the splitter still). PROception F Type Masthead Amplifier Power Supply 2 Way
You may need TV plug/socket adapters to F-plugs.

If that's not the cause then we need more details of the aerial and pictures of the (marked) cables and splitter to suggest other reasons.

eirefin

Novice Member
Q. Is there a masthead type amplifier (booster) involved in this aerial system?

If so it possible the main TV is providing the DC power to it when on... and in standby not - ergo no signal to the bedroom TV.

Check on the lounge Samsung for an 'antenna power' option in the menus (tuning/setup)?

If this is the problem it's solved by using an external masthead power supply unit (one with two outputs would feed both rooms, a single would need the splitter still). PROception F Type Masthead Amplifier Power Supply 2 Way
You may need TV plug/socket adapters to F-plugs.

If that's not the cause then we need more details of the aerial and pictures of the (marked) cables and splitter to suggest other reasons.
Ahh right - thank you!
There‘s nothing other than the splitter on the ariel part of this ... (I’m deffo not any kind of expert with this stuff so apologies if I seem totally ignorant!) .. we’ve added no kind of signal booster at all as the signal in the bedroom was fantastic as soon as we connected it.. But - realise I didn’t mention this yesterday as it’s been there so long 🙄- the ariel is running through one of those Monster power bank/surge protector things & I guess it’s maybe something to do with that somehow.... ?
I will have a look at the options in the tv menus as soon as I get a chance though - really do appreciate your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom