Question Weird distortion on all in 1 Turntable HELP

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by HamiltonHood, Aug 21, 2017.

1. HamiltonHood

HamiltonHood
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I recently bought the ION 7 in 1 Turntable as I am young and am getting into records.
    After owning it for about a week i went to the charity shops and bought an old (and dusty) 7" single. since then whether it be coincidence or not the think has been making a really horrific noise during louder songs (Pink floyd- Brain damage, Most of Whatever people say I am, thats what Im not)

I have tried blowing on the stylus and cleaning my records with a glasses cloth but neither hath worked.

The speakers are not at fault as it works fine when playing CDs and Cassettes

I will attach the model i bought along with a video of said distortion

Cheers

Video

Turntable

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,990
    It is due to a combination of tracking and tracing distortion, as they are called, and is largely unavoidable.

Records are cut with a spiral groove using a triangular shaped stylus, using a radial tracking lathe.
    They are played back (typically) using a round shaped stylus using an arm that tracks in an arc - so the stylus is hardly ever tracking the groove at the same angle as it was cut.

The RPM of the record is constant but the as the spiral nears the centre of the record the groove going past the stylus goes at an ever slowing rate.... so there is less 'room' to accommodate the music information. Grooves become more compressed.

Distortion is always worst during loud passages and always worsens the nearer you get to the label.

The grooves of such challenged areas also become damaged over time by being played.

3. HamiltonHood

HamiltonHood
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank You, Is there no way to supress this? it seemed fine for the first while I used it

4. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An LP, as it gets played and played , gets worn out! that is worst at high volume level sections, this could be partly the reason (your records are worn).
    Also mis-tracking, and mis-alignment of the tone arm and the cartridge may cause the same.
    Just as a test, try increasing the tracking weight, if possible, if not put a small lump of blue-tac (a very small pea) on the centre of the headshell and try again.