Weird/Delay issue in waking PC via IR Remote

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by kinn, Feb 8, 2009.

1. kinn

kinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Im having a few issues with one of these cheap Media remotes (PC Remote Control 4 Microsoft Media Center MCE Vista XP - eBay (item 310089908584 end time Mar-05-09 00:47:52 PST)) that I picked up from Ebay.

It all works i.e. volume, wakes/sleeps the PC etc, except that its has problems with the "waking the PC up" part.

Putting the PC into Stanby/sleep is a simple matter of hitting the power button. However, waking it up I have to keep the darn power button held down for like 10+ seconds (sometimes its quicker).

I have no idea what the problem is. Can anyone help?

2. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    Hmmm, that remote looks very similar to an X-10 model that I had but there isn't a green windows button in the middle of it so are you sure that it is conforming?

Presumably you've got the unit set to wake on USB. When the system is asleep, try pulling out the usb dongle. It should wake up . Does it wake up as slowly as previously or is it "instantaneous"? If it is as slow as usual then it would appear to be an issue with Vista settings. Have you downloaded the correct drivers?

3. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Something is doing something when you ask the PC to sleep. When I had 4TheRecord installed with MP there would be up to a 10 second delay before the machine actually went to sleep as it was checking it was actually ok to let the machine sleep.

Have you got anything installed which is likely to be effecting sleep?

4. kinn

kinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Yes I have set to wake on USB. I can wake the PC fine without issues with the keyboard And as you suggested I pulled the dongle out and that caused the PC to wake up fine and straight away.

I had no drivers for the remote and XP just installed the relevant drivers by itself.

@jameson_uk - I have nothing really that could be effecting sleep.

OK this might sound a little strange but I've also noticed that pointing directly at the IR dongle doesn't really work most of the time (when the PC is in Sleep mode). I have to like point the remote upwards or behind me or at the walls for it to switch on.

I'm getting confused with the last issue.

5. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    I'm sorry I misread the Ebay description and thought you had a radio remote. .:oops: Certainly neither of my IR remotes need any special drivers. Is there a led in the dongle that illuminates when a valid signal is received? If yes, does it reflect the sluggishness of the response?

6. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    Which of your USB ports are you using? Try one of the ports on the motherboard (round the back) not on an extender. They aren't necessarily all awake.

7. kinn

kinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Yes there is a LED that lights up when a signal is received. It lights up staright away to responses except for when I want to wake the PC up. In that case nothing happens and only lights up when the PC wakes up.

I've also tried different USB ports and same issue.

8. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Got to be something to do with that - on mine (official MCE Remote, but should be the same) the red light responds even when the PC is asleep.

Check the power settings and have you changed any motherboard jumper settings?

9. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    What motherboard do you have ? You may have to set a jumper or change a setting in the BIOS to allow resume from S3 via USB.

The Green Button - S3 Standby - Hardware & Software solution
    is helpful but there are two regisry hacks I believe that may be needed (only one documented in that link)
    (other one is in same place
    "USBBIOSHACKS"=dword:00000000
    )

You can try the
    http://slicksolutions.eu/mst.shtml
    which can set the registry edits for you but I found it did not quite work on my last setup

10. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    I have a similar problem using my harmony remote to power on. I have to press the power button quite a few times before it turns on. It goes into sleep fine though.

11. kinn

kinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I have no jumper settings on my motherboard. The pc is a shuttle sd37p2. I did get in touch with shuttle about no jumpers and they said that there was no need and that wake on USB was enabled by default.

They said that I just needed to enable the option in windows I.e. Allow this device to wake the pc.

I would have thought that those settings are fine since I can wake the pc with no problems via my USB keyboard/mouse and also wake on LAN too.