Weird channel skipping problem

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by flaccidcookie, Feb 11, 2009.

1. flaccidcookie

flaccidcookie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have an Amstrad PVR3 box and in the last couple of days it's developed a curious intermittent fault. Everynow and again without using the remote the channel will change to the next one up or down. You then change it back and it changes again. It may go to the tv guide, then into the planner - it may go through a few channels on the on screen search bar and then stop.

It's as if the sky remote has a problem, a stuck button or something - except it happens even with the batteries out of the remote. The red light always comes on on the box when thiese phantom operations occur.

Help?!?!?

2. SkyVanMan

SkyVanMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It could either be, that if you have a digi sender in another room interfering with it, or some other source. Maby a neighbour has one, do you live in a terrace house ? Have seen this before. Try unplugging everything electrical off, and switch them on, one by one untill you find the offending article. The way I sorted it was to blank off the front of the box (cardboard of something) and fit a magic eye to the rf2 on the back of the box and place the eye higher up.

3. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Do you have a plasma or LCD TV or energy saving light bulbs or fluorescent lighting? All of these have been known to emit spurious infra red light which can interfere with most remote controls and often give phantom commands. Even if they are in another room connected with a magic eye this can happen.

Depending on the source of interference careful siting of the digibox or use of a magic eye carefully sited can cure the problem once source is found.

4. flaccidcookie

flaccidcookie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for those...

I've not got an LCD or Plasma - though i did recently install an energy saving lightbult in the bedroom where i has a magic eye type sender so i can watch/control the sky box from up there. So if what you say is true Dave then that could be the source?? Though it happens when that light is off...

On the interference front i'll be checking the magic eye type sender i have tonight, switching the channel it is using and ultimatley unplugging it to see if that makes all this go away!

Otherwise the digibox is cited in a compartmentalised tv media staion thingy. TV on top (magic eye sender next to and behind the tv), sky, dvd, cd player, av amp etc on the wooden shelves in the unit...

5. SkyVanMan

SkyVanMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Senders effect amstrads for some reason, causes delay in remote commands, later on all the commands reach the box, hence the jumping of channels. I'd unplug the sender first.