Weird Browser Problem

nheather

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I mostly use Firefox as my browser, with IE8 (either stand alone or as the add in tab on firefox) now and then.

I'm currently experiencing weird problems in various forums, such as

AVF
IE8 - logs in okay - writing this thread using that
FF - logs in - get welcome message then immediately returned to login prompt and not logged in. It was okay whilst I had the cookie cached but since I've cleared down the cache, can't get back in
IE8 and FF - when I send a PM, get prompted to log in, even though I am logged in. Message does get sent though.
IE8 - Search Thread doesn't work. Just waits until the progress bar fills up - and then just seems to wait indefinitely

OcUK
IE8 and FF - Login works for both
IE8 and FF - Search fails on both. FF prompts me endlessly to log in even though I'm not logged in. IE8 dispalys '404 can't find page'

Odd behaviour on some other forums aswell.

Other than that all browsing, online accounts, purchasing, etc. work fine on both.

I've cleared cache on both and restarted but doesn't have any effect.

Anyone seen anything like this before or can suggest a solution.

I did have it a few months ago but it only lasted a few hours and then cleared up by itself. This has been going on for the last few days now.

Cheers,

Nigel

Sods law - I eventually post a question after trying for days to solve it.

Within 30 minutes and my PC miraculously fixes itself.

This is really weird.

It's not ISP or site related because it is fine from other PCs on my network.

Cheers,

Nigel

Not exactly related to yours Nigel, but an odd thing I'm noticing is that on my work PC (IE6), the time at the bottom says "All times are GMT +1. The time now is 9:43 AM."

At home my PC (Chrome/FF/IE8/Safari) says "All times are GMT. The time now is 8:43 AM."

So when I log in from home, all times are an hour out, ie this post will show as being made at 8.45am. Strange.

Not exactly related to yours Nigel, but an odd thing I'm noticing is that on my work PC (IE6), the time at the bottom says "All times are GMT +1. The time now is 9:43 AM."

At home my PC (Chrome/FF/IE8/Safari) says "All times are GMT. The time now is 8:43 AM."

So when I log in from home, all times are an hour out, ie this post will show as being made at 8.45am. Strange.

In the forum control panel you have an option for DST Correction. You may have your work PC and home PC set differently here. It may be that these settings are stored in a cookie as well as in your profile. Might be worth checking.

I had problems with the new 3.5 firefox, was down to incompatible extensions and add ons inherited from the older firefox. Was a pain, but resolved it via updates and removal of broken extensions.

I'm still using firefox 2.0.0.20. :thumbsup:

No problem at all. I guess it's a problem with your settings.

In the forum control panel you have an option for DST Correction. You may have your work PC and home PC set differently here. It may be that these settings are stored in a cookie as well as in your profile. Might be worth checking.

Thanks, I will check that out.

Spoke to soon. Still getting weird behaviour.

Just archived a thread. Got a message saying that I wasn't logged in or didn't have privileges to do this.

I've got used to ignorring these messages as pure rubbish and sure enough the thread had archived despite the message telling me otherwise.

I had problems with the new 3.5 firefox, was down to incompatible extensions and add ons inherited from the older firefox. Was a pain, but resolved it via updates and removal of broken extensions.

Might have a look at that - perhaps uninstall\reinstall.

Cheers,

Nigel

Use an up to date version, check your plugins. Try IE in safe mode.

Alternatively, use Chrome :smashin: (though that will give you some other issues with shittily coded websites).

Also, to the guy above. GET THE HELL OFF IE6. Hunka crap. If your machine is locked down by IT, complain at them, that piece of **** should be gone and if it isn't they're not doing their job properly.

Use a newer browser, and this bookmarklet to see all the horror of IE6:

Code:
javascript:(function(){var i=0,r=function(n){return Math.floor(Math.random()*n)},f=document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0].getElementsByTagName('*'),o=function(e){return typeof(e.style)=='object'&&e.tagName!='SCRIPT'},s=function(){while(!o(e=f[r(f.length)])){}return e.style};while(i++<5){s().display=r(2)?'block':'inline';s().position=r(2)?'absolute':'relative';s().margin=r(2)?'0':'1em';s().padding=r(2)?'0':'1em';s().width=r(2)?'':'auto';}})();

http://elbertf.com/ie6ify/

Last edited:
Also, to the guy above. GET THE HELL OFF IE6. Hunka crap. If your machine is locked down by IT, complain at them, that piece of **** should be gone and if it isn't they're not doing their job properly.

I work in IT. It's a "known weakness", but it's kind of an enormous company, so rollouts are complex to say the least. We have lots of other controls to protect us though, don't worry. ;)

Haha, shouldn't have assumed I guess. :lesson:

Y'know, the MOD still use IE6 and have no intention of changing. :oops:

Just upgraded to FF 3.5 and I'm still getting weird behaviour.

For example on the home page there was a poll. I voted on it but it just opened a page prompting me to vote. I then tried to vote and it said that the vote couldn't be registered because I had logged out. Then I refreshed the page and low and behold I was logged in and my vote had been registered on the first attempt.

Something screwy is happening on my PC with any forum activity that checks that you are logged in.

Cheers,

Nigel

Okay, found out a bit more info.

It seems that I'm getting lots of HTTP 400 bad requests.

IE responds with the blank page with a HTTP 400 bad request message, whereas FF seems to just refresh the page (so it appears like nothing has happened) or pronpts for login.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Nigel

Okay, I've totally removed FF and IE8 and I'm now back with IE6.

But I'm still getting a load of Bad HTTP Requests 400.

Basically I can google for something and a good number of the hits will result in Bad HTTP Request.

Likewise, I can be in a website, doing fine and click a button and Bad HTTP Request.

I've run a AdAware scan on full - found a couple of things of no real concern.

Any ideas what it could be?

Cheers,

Nigel

I get a slightly weird issue with AVF, sometimes using my ISP's fixed IP, I can't reach the site, I have to swop to a proxy and everythings ok.

The next day it's fine again..

No rhyme or reason to it.

ISP says everything is fine, but I'm convinced it's down to them.

Okay, I've totally removed FF and IE8 and I'm now back with IE6.

But I'm still getting a load of Bad HTTP Requests 400.

Basically I can google for something and a good number of the hits will result in Bad HTTP Request.

Likewise, I can be in a website, doing fine and click a button and Bad HTTP Request.

I've run a AdAware scan on full - found a couple of things of no real concern.

Any ideas what it could be?

Cheers,

Nigel

Download CurrPorts, it will tell you what Programmes are communicating over what ports and to where. Makes it quite easy to narrow down any malicious programmes hijacking net traffic.

Also try opening the Command Prompt, and do ipconfig/release, and then ipconfig/renew. ipconfig/flushdns might help too.

Edit: do the second suggestion first.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom