Weird audio problem with optical cable

redlester

Standard Member
I've noticed recently, with two different DVD players, that when I'm using the optical audio connection from DVD player to my AV amp, the first second of sound when playing a menu selection seems to be muted. In other words, if I select a movie or chapter from a menu, and the selected movie starts playing, if there is audio right at the start I miss the first few words.

For example, on the Buffy DVD's, Tony Head's "Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer" is truncated to something like "...uffy the Vampire Slayer".

This is incredibly annoying now that I've noticed it. What I want to know is; do I happen to have two malfunctioning DVD players, or does this always happen when using an optical audio connection? If the latter, then will it still happen if I splash out on a co-axial cable instead? Or could it be some sort of problem with my AV amp?

redlester

Standard Member
OK I was just asking in general terms in case it was a standard feature of all optical connections, but the kit is:

Toshiba SD220E player
Cambridge Audio DVD86 player
Pioneer VSX-C301 amplifier

Am now wondering could it be something as simple as a poor quality optical cable? The thing is I've had it for quite a while and not previously noticed the fault till very recently.

redlester

Standard Member
Nope, it's definately the DVD player (in the case of the Cambridge Audio one). Have wired them up using the stereo outputs direct into my TV, bypassing the amp, and the Toshiba is ok but the Cambridge Audio one still exhibits the problem. It's brand new so it's going back tomorrow. In fact I've now also discovered it won't play anamorphic discs anamorphically! Think I'll just get my money back...