Weightloss Help.

• Thread starter Deleted member 695993
  • Start date

Deleted member 695993

Reaction score
I had my weight and height checked today as part of a health check. I'm in between 6ft and 6ft 1 and 14 stone 11. The woman said my ideal weight would be 13 stone 7. Can anyone give me any advice to achieve this? Thanks!

Hello nice to have a chat with you here. Would you like to lose your weight right now? As far as I know, there has some good solution online. Just search a little bit. Hope you'll get the ingredients for weight loss.

Ideal weight based on what?
Did she know the know you body composition in terms of %fat, muscle etc? If not then a arbitory 'ideal weight' is just complete nonsense.
Do you feel you have some fat to lose? How active are you? How is your diet?
If you are carrying a bit too much fat then the simple equation of doing a bit more exercise and eating a little less will give you the desired outcome without having to resort to the latest fab diet etc. The benefit of this approach is that if you can include the exercise etc. into your daily life then it will be sustainable and so will your weight.

It is about time we abolished BMI as a guide. It was bought in nearly 200 years ago and does not take into consideration people history, lifestyle, genetics, muscle/fat/bone/water ratio's, energy levels of requirements, diets (everything is different today than it was in the 1830s) etc etc etc

What the nurse, the OP, me and you consider to be healthy, unhealthy, fat, normal, under weight and over weight may ask be very different things.
OP, how do you feel? What do you think? What is your diet, lifestyle, exercise and ability levels like?

A good place to start would be taking a look at your nutrition and start getting more active. This forum has great resources for healthy eating. As far as activity, buy a fitbit and get walking!

I'm 6'-6'1" (I swear I used to be 6'2) and seven months ago I was just shy of 17 stone. After being diagnosed as Type2 diabetic, I decided to tackle it with diet rather than pills, so I changed my diet - amount, portion size, frequency, type of food, etc and along with regular, but not too in depth exercise (I upped my walking, and I was already swimming, so I just did a bit more of that when possible) I dropped to my lowest of 13st 7lbs a couple weeks ago. My original target was to get under 15st, then I wanted to get to 14.5 and then ideally under 14st. Now I've made 13.5 (although after a week of poor diet, BBQ, and some beers etc, I'm now teetering on 14st again), I've been told I look ill and shouldn't lose any more weight (not by a doctor, btw) :laugh: I don't think I should lose anymore - 13 would probably be nice to get to, and another belt notch would be nice, but the lower you go the harder it gets, the longer it takes and the harder it is to maintain it. I'll be happy to stay under 14st, so I aim to be 13.5, as you bounce around +/- lbs every day.

Diet wise, obviously I had to cut out everything sugary. That goes right down to things like fruit juice, and changing the type of bread (and vastly reducing it) you eat - limit your white flour intake (granary bread instead of white), ease off on potatoes, eat more veg, more fruit, cut out almost everything with added sugar (harder than it sounds). Lots of protein, lay off the fats (especially saturated and trans fats). Hungry? Drink water. Still hungry? Have an apple. With anything sugary, even natural sugars, have something with fibre in - so for breakfast it's 2x weetabix and a banana - the weetabix is full of fibre, and the banana's natural sugar is offset by it's fibre (light green to "new" yellow is the best colour for bananas in terms is less sugar more fibre). One sandwich for lunch instead of two, and try to eliminate bread wherever possible by having a salad instead.

I made it from January to Easter having only 2 creme eggs in four months - a record for me since I'd often have about 6/8/10 a week in the years prior.

It's hard work, there's no two ways about it. There aren't any shortcuts. You have to have the will power, and the drive to do it. I had a goal (a job I was going for that was dependent on me not being put on medication) and that goal helped me achieve what I have. After that 3-4 months of doing it, it does become easier in as far as the mental conditioning; you break that habit and what you're doing becomes "normal" to an extent. If you're anything like me, and I'm not a competitive guy but I do like to better myself and hit targets, you'll push yourself to go one better and make that next milestone. The key is to not get obsessed with it, as that can lead to eating disorders and other issues.

Above all else, you've got to want to do it. If you don't want to do it, you won't do it. It's that simple.

If reading is your thing, check out the 8 week blood sugar diet book by Dr Michael Mosely, and get a copy of the G.I. Handbook (Barbara Ravage)

Eat less/exercise more.

Not much more complicate than that. Avoid/limit sugar/alcohol etc.

Drink water

Diets are like religions, when people lose weight they become firm believers in whatever diet they used to lose weight. This is understandable, especially for people that may have tried several diets and failed previously or for people who where suffering negative health due to diet/obesity. Their diet change may have saved them so of course they become extremely attached to it.

BUT, for everyone else this religion gets in the way of objective advice. What works for one person may not work for another. What was an easy to follow diet for one person could be complicated for another. Work, money, kids etc can make some diets difficult to sustain even if you are finding the diet aspect easy.

Just understand that anyone who has lost weight did so by creating a calorific deficit. That is the only way you can lose weight. Excess calories make you fatter, eating less calories make you slimmer. How you achieve that calorie deficit has to be something that is achievable and most importantly sustainable. If you love bread and pasta then going low carb wont work for long. If you love steak then becoming vegan wont last. You may soon get bored of going to the gym 2 hours a day 7 days a week not matter how good it feels initially.

Start looking at food labels and you will see many foods have more calories then you think, especially from sugars and fats. Green veg has so little calories and so many vitamins and minerals you can eat big platefuls everyday with little chance of creating an excess. Lean meats and fish are packed with nutrients and protein and little fat so again its hard to eat too much. These are just examples, but look into the foods you eat and decide which one you can limit or do without; for years, not just a few weeks. Its no good dropping 10kg over 2 years and then 2 years later being 15kg heavier but sadly that is the reality for most dieters. They chose something they can not sustain.

Whatever you do try to keep protein intake at a decent level, perhaps 25-35g per meal or more. This will help you retain lean body mass (muscle, tendons, organs etc). This is important because we need muscle, its not only helps us move put it also helps protect joints and it also burns calories for free (not a huge amount but it all helps). If you add in at least 2 resistance training sessions a week you can probably gain muscle while losing fat.

Lastly, our bodies don't like losing hard earned fat, they fight it.

After ‘The Biggest Loser,’ Their Bodies Fought to Regain Weight

Good luck, just remember there is no magic pill or magic diet.

I was in a similar position to you a few years ago, looked in the mirror one day and thought I need to do something about this. I cut as much fat and junk as possible out of my diet and started walking round the 4 mile block three times a week.Over a period of time this lead to gentle jogging and then running and now some 10 years later I still run twice a week and try to walk as much as possible. Problem I had was I lost too much bulk from my frame, the diet was too extreme, and as you get older its hard to maintain muscle mass. I have settled around 2 stone lighter and generally don't even think about what I eat, eating well is just second nature but I feel so much better than I did 10 years ago. As someone said, eat less move more.

Okay. Losing weight is easy in theory. In practice it requires dedication and commitment This is not only to lose weight but to keep it off
Here's the simple part Work out your rda and eat less than that. The less you eat relative to your rda the more you lose.
Exercise is important but won't really help you lose weight unless you do it fanatically
Remember muscle weighs more than fat
Walking is great for cardiovascular things but it won't help you lose weight
Eat less. You will feel hunger your body will adapt and your hunger pangs will reduce accordingly
To prevent pangs and the physical ability to eat then eat bulking foods and drink plenty of water
Apples are brilliant bulking foods. Yes bananas are good but not for bulking.
Potatoes are excellent bulkers. Forget the carbs in them as the bulking benefits with outweigh (sorry) the carb intake.
Avoid all nuts. Cut down as much as you can on bread.
So.eat as little as you are able a. D can function on. Slowly reduce more and more as your body adapts
Drink plenty of water and eat bulking foods.
Be single minded.
Once your body and mind adapts then everything falls into place
You can only effectively lose weight and keep it off it you really want to do it A doctor telling you to lose weight isn't enough
You have to want it
If you want it you'll do it
So do it and good luck And oh yes I've done it.
A word of warning. Losing weight is addictive Be careful not to get hooked on it. Know when to stop.
I agree that bmi is tosh It's irrelevant
I would also recommend that you ditch the scales. You don't need them. Learn to use your judgement When your trousers fall down in town then you know your diet is working.
Labels are important to a point but they don't really help you to trust yourself.
Over time you learn to trust yourself. Getting weighed and obsessively reading labels inhibit that process
You goal is not only to lose weight but to be comfortable with yourself and your body image.
I really don't think that getting weighed every week etc helps that.
I know doctors are obsessed with it That's for them to deal with.
Easiest way to judge is your belt your energy levels and personal self respect. Your belt gets bigger and your waistline goes down. Energy levels increase and self respect and esteem goes off the scale. That's when you know you are winning.

Last edited:
For weightloss, 80% is the nutrition and of course combined with exercise. I don't believe in strict diets, just cut out any sodas, bread and sweets. Or at least reduce it as much as you can and then cut it out. This will make a huge difference in your weight.

I weighed myself yesterday, I'm 91KG (14.33 stone), and having spoken to my GP today, he said the last time he has on my records that I was weighed, two years ago, I was 98kg. So I've lost just over a stone :thumbsup:

Have a look at DDP Yoga if you want something that you can do in the comfort of your own home.
I'm 6' 2" and did weigh 15 1/2 stone when I started a year and a half ago.
I've been doing a minimum 4 days a week of it since then and have nicely leveled out at 12 1/2 stone and I seem to be maintaining that.
Only days I don't do any are when my fatigue levels are too much (thanks MS :) ) or when I feel like I've done too much walking/DIY.
No major diet changes necessary for me although I don't really drink alcohol any more but never did that much anyway

I went on the Body Composition Analyzer in my leisure centre today. I weigh 89.1kg, with 64.2kg muscle mass! :thumbsup:

I hate to say it but those things are not very accurate, often completely inaccurate. sorry.
So what is more accurate? The normal scales in the chemist??

An MRI :D

Have a look at DDP Yoga if you want something that you can do in the comfort of your own home.
I'm 6' 2" and did weigh 15 1/2 stone when I started a year and a half ago.
I've been doing a minimum 4 days a week of it since then and have nicely leveled out at 12 1/2 stone and I seem to be maintaining that.
Only days I don't do any are when my fatigue levels are too much (thanks MS :) ) or when I feel like I've done too much walking/DIY.
No major diet changes necessary for me although I don't really drink alcohol any more but never did that much anyway
do you still do it ?

do you still do it ?
Yep.
still do it and now down to 12 stone and have been for the last few months.
just over halfway into a 100 day challenge where you do at least one workout a day.
Also I’ve now found a class with a qualified instructor near me in Nottingham that I go to once a fortnight.

Yep.
still do it and now down to 12 stone and have been for the last few months.
just over halfway into a 100 day challenge where you do at least one workout a day.
Also I’ve now found a class with a qualified instructor near me in Nottingham that I go to once a fortnight.
awesome I jus got the videos and will be starting tomorrow been inspired by some of the videos
so glad its working for you :)

Didn’t realise they did that.
I signed up to the app about a year before I started it properly and got an offer of the same $8 but for full app access.
If you get on with it then it gives you a lot more workouts - usually there’s one a week added and you can add a heart rate monitor to it to keep an eye on it to make sure you aren’t doing too much.

Attachments

• BF3C08D0-411D-47EB-A950-0A6BB9F02614.png
    BF3C08D0-411D-47EB-A950-0A6BB9F02614.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 33

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom