Weight Training Programmes for Beginners

kingolympics

Does anyone here know of any websites that can recommend a programme of weight training/resistance training for someone who only exercises doing cardio at the moment? :)

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

IronGiant

It's on its way :thumbsup:

sniffer66

Distinguished Member
Does anyone here know of any websites that can recommend a programme of weight training/resistance training for someone who only exercises doing cardio at the moment? :)
Scoobys is a great site for beginners to pick up the basics, and especially if you are working out at home. You didnt state whether gym or home but I'll assume you dont have a gym membership yet

I'd suggest a 3 day a week Full Body workout to start. You could even just do bodyweight exercises until you get into your stride

Main Scooby site is here: (dont be put off by Scoobys build/looks)

Scooby's Workshop | Home Fitness & Bodybuilding Workouts

Forum is here:

Ask Scooby - The Friendly Home Fitness And Bodybuilding Forum - Index

And a really good workout guide and info is here:

21 Workout Routines

The bodyweight or Weightlifting Options 1/2/3 are a good place to start

This site is a great reference for checking out how the various exercises should be done (form)

http://www.exrx.net/index.html

Last edited:

Dan Baker

Another thumbs up for stronglifts from me. It encourages the core compound exercises. Please please please though forget about the weight to start with and concentrate on form. Get the form right from the get go and it will set you up going forwards. If you start with bad habits they are hard to break.

kingolympics

That's fantastic guys. Thank you for all the help. I will look into them all now.

I'll be in the gym by the way. Just signed up to a new one as I was previously in a gym where the weights section was full of idiots who hoarded lots of weights at once

mooperman

Distinguished Member
Watch Pumping Iron, move to California and don't take posing advice from big Austrians
on the back of this, you also need to rename your profile to "Big kingolympics"...

Steve Kelly

This was a really good website for me when I started looking around...
Sample Bodybuilding Routines

Within the site there are loads of links to article (appearing on the same website), some really good fundamental weight training info on there.
One of the best tips that I never listened to for years (and always regretted) is doing a pre-training course(4 to 8 weeks, I'd say), to get your muscles used to the new exercise levels. I never did ti (till now) and always over-did every session, getting bad DOMS, and giving it up as a bad job after a few weeks. repeated that cycle over a few years.
That said, lots of people I've encountered never really suffered from DOMS as I have, so I guess it's down to the individual.
But still, lots of good in-site articles on that site.
Good luck!