Weight loss/starvation mode?

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Firstly, we have all heard about starvation mode, but is it real or a myth?

secondly, a few friends and I have decided we need to get into better shape and so have decided to eat better, track calories and lose weight.

have only been doing it for a couple of weeks (need to start somewhere), and at the start I was 17 stone 1.6lbs. I had maintained this weight, or around this weight for ages - fluctuating between 16 stone 12 to 17 stone 3, and I was doing this with little exercise and eating literally what I liked - looking at my portion sizes now as a reference, I must have been on 3,000+ calories a day.

On my first weigh in I dropped 6lb as I took it seriously, tracked my calories and cut out all the snacking and crap in between meals.

i woke up this morning and felt a little different and bloated - this was despite eating just under 800 calories yesterday (all tracked and accurate). I weighed myself (I know I shouldn’t and should try snd stick to weighing in on the same day each week) and I have some how put on a pound - now my brain is telling me “clearly 800 calories a day is too much - eat less!”

so I am now battling with myself with what to eat. I am hungry and want breakfast, but am now worried if I do that will be 250 calories I don’t need.

I had a very active day yesterday as well, doing jobs around the house all day (10am to 8pm) - gardening, diy, cleaning etc.

somehow, having eaten only 736 calories, built up a sweat, I have put on a pound - how?

Its really messing with me now. My friends are saying I should eat more, but I am so scared that if I do I will just gain more and more weight again.

attached is what I ate yesterday, all tracked in my fitness pal (doesn’t include my water intake, which was probably a couple of litres, which is normal for me).

Friday I are 1,023 calories, Thursday 1,037, Wednesday 914.

any thoughts?

Attachments

• 9A746BDD-A1E7-4727-8648-E7F7A3748F19.png
    9A746BDD-A1E7-4727-8648-E7F7A3748F19.png
    201.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 81C2D4BA-DE22-4DED-BF3E-FCF27B5637C3.png
    81C2D4BA-DE22-4DED-BF3E-FCF27B5637C3.png
    200.5 KB · Views: 47
You're eating too little, even if you were small and female it is still far too little, let alown a fully grown male.

Work out your TDEE and go from there

Use that as a guide, it isn't exact, but it's good to use as a starting point and with bit of trial and error you will find your sweet spot. Remember to constantly check back on your TDEE because as you lose weight, you requirements will change.

If you're very over weight/obese you can go upto 1000 calories less a day short term as long as you don't go below your BMR regulary, then the more weight you drop and leaner you get you'll wanna be nearer to 500. But everyone is different, it's trial and error too.

But eat more please. And weigh yourself at the same time each week under the same circumstances, your weight will fluctuate a lot.

But eat more! 800 calories isn't healthy at all long term.

Also something like 'starvation mode' or whatever someone wants to call it, wouldn't just happen just like that and wouldn't be something that can be switched on and off, it would happen over a long period of seriously low eating.

I am not sure if it's a myth or not, but the term is overrated as well if you want to worry about it, as it takes a good while before your body would get to that stage if it was to happen. And I mean a good while. It certainly wouldn't happen because you ate 800 calories one day.

Our bodies are a lot more adaptable then a lot of people realise and appreciate.

Last edited:
Had you been to the toilet before hand on either measurement. That can account for up to a kilo depending on ...

But how can I be eating too little if when I eat 800 calories I am putting weight on?
Surely it’s a simple in and out process? If I eat more calories than I burn off then I put on weight?

But how can I be eating too little if when I eat 800 calories I am putting weight on?
Surely it’s a simple in and out process? If I eat more calories than I burn off then I put on weight?

As others have said though 800 isn't enough but in terms of weight add on, how much water etc are you drinking?

But to answer this question.

How are you weighing yourself?
Are you in your birthday suit each time or same clothes etc.

Having a full bladder\bowel will add a significant amount of weight.

Are your scales accurate etc, used in same place?

I was 16st8 and am now 13st10 sow I do understand what you are saying. You need to change what you eat more than try and eat nearly nothing. Basically No bread, potato or paster. Remove processed food from your diet and exercise for at least 30mins per day. Your body does simply shutdown if there is not enough food in your system and the old said diet stuff does not work. I not had a biscuit or normal chocolate in two years, think I personally love. I used a diabetic food guide book to home in on things to do and don't do

C'mon man, 800 calories is too little for any adult. Don't get into the mindset of 800 calories is too much as you are going to go down a very unhealthy path. Think logically.

You said yourself you did not weigh at the same time, your weight will fluctuate during the day. Weigh yourself once a week at the same time, i.e first thing in morning on an empty stomach wearing the same things. Be consistent with that. Extra one pound when you weighed yourself at a different time is nothing to worry about at all.

Without knowing your stats, your BMR is probably what, around 1900? That's what your body burns just existing, so logically by taking in 800 calories (And 1000 calories on the previous days) simple maths says you will lose weight. But 800-1000 calories is too low for someone your size, way too low.

If you haven't lose weight, that could be because of different conditions when weighing yourself, under estimating the calories you are consuming (Doubtful in your case since you're eating way too little anyway) or something else entirely.

Did you put in your details in the TDEE? What did it say.

Maybe go talk to a doctor, as your mindset regarding 800 calories being too much is a dangerous way to think.

And eat more good stuff.

800 calories for let's assume you are the average height make 5ft10 800 calories is far too little to eat in a day it is unhealthy and not good for you, that is fact.

So why did you gain a pound well let's start with the most obvious, your scales are inaccurate, 2nd what 800 calories you consumed, the time of day you got weighed there are so many variables as to why the body can fluctuate in weight this is why it's better advised you get weighed once a week the same time, same clothes and if possible the same food for a few days before, an example being I have pizza and chips night it takes roughly 3 days for my weight to self correct, now I haven't gain weight it's just the makeup of the food that makes me retain water weight, much the same effect that beer has on the body in terms of water retention.

Thanks guys.
i just did the TDEE input and got the attached results - maintenance is just over 2,400 calories a day
1C3183FF-521B-40AB-8CBE-EFFF1D209459.png

Go for 1800 calories a day, and count everything, don't leave anything out. Even sauces and couple of sugars in ya tea here and there all adds up.

Also do some exercise, even walking 30-60 mins a day will contribute.

Thanks guys.
i just did the TDEE input and got the attached results - maintenance is just over 2,400 calories a day
View attachment 1546402
So this is fairly simple now just cut out 500 calories, or if you exercise this then gives you more calories to play with for example 30 mins of average exercise will burn approx 300 calories so there for on that day you have 2700 calories to play with, but be aware to loose weight you dont have to loose weight everyday, to keep weight off you have must a relationship with food you can sustain in the long term. Like having takeaways and beers etc it's not wrong to have them but accept that on this week you may only loose 1lb or even maintain your weight, then move on to the next week, a piece of cake won't do any harm here and there won't hurt having 2 pieces a day for a week will, but this is for you to work out, for me when want to loose weight I cut out all things sweet and beers until I get to my target weight and TBH honest once you get that first 2 weeks out of the way it's fairly easy to stay away from it, to be very clear I do eat alot it's just the healthy stuff, chicken, brown bread, veg's, fruit but the difference is with the more healthy stuff is that it's simply not addictive and that makes a huge difference when controlling food and calories.

Hope this helps👍

Theres no such thing as 'starvation mode' to prevent people losing weight, if there was, then people wouldnt die of starvation

Your body naturally fluctuates depending on water, salt levels, whether you have exercised and therefore you body healing itself by retaining water around the muscle/joint, what time you ate last night, when you went to toilet etc etc. Its perfectly normal

If you are brave enough, weigh yourself daily for the next four weeks, eating as someone has said above 1800 calories which is enough for you to lose just over 1lb per week and counting EVERYTHING.

You'll see you go up an down but if you stick to the amount, you are going generally down

Its not possible to 'put on weight' over one day, you need a sustained calorie deficit over a week or more of around an average of 500 cals per day for 1lb loss every week.

That 6lb of 'loss' during the first week, will have been around 2lb of fat at the most, the rest will have been water weight, its still less weight off your joints and knees and thats a good thing but its not 6lb of fat loss, in the same way that your 1lb that you say you have 'put on' is not fat gain.

Instead of measuring your weight, monitor how your clothes fit.

2nd what 800 calories you consumed

Underrated comment. 100 calories of apple is bigger volume than 100 calories of cheese

800 calories of eating crap isn't going to help and you can get accurate direction on weight loss from day to day measurement.

Let's get one very clear, for average adult male 800 calories is medically dangerous for any length of time and should only be done under medical supervision.

With that about of the way there is a myth about eating carbs is bad. Well it's not. What is bad is continuously eating bad food. You want to be aiming for for as little processing as possible and check GI of what you are eating. The higher the GI, the harder your body has to work to break it down. I am not going to tell you to stop eating bread and pasta but put a limit on it and switch to wholemeal. Also be careful with fruit, most is high in sugar so limit of one price of fruit a day and try not to puree it like in a blender, you want as much of that natural fibre as possible.

One other tip which might be difficult depending on your work is try and eat 5 times a day evenly spaced out. If you get hungry then eat a small healthy snack, it will stop you eating too much as larger meals.

And drink plenty of water, it will help keep you feeling full and lifestyle is going to work if it leaves feeling hungry all the time.

800 calories? :eek:

My 4'11" 8.5 stone wife has just been dieting down for a bodybuilding competition and she's been on 1,400 a day and that was only for the last few weeks. 800 is nothing for a grown man.

Anyhow, some good advice above and just to add that consistency is key. Whether that's down to food or when and how you weigh in, just keep it all consistent and the results will come in time. Be patient :)

800 calories? :eek:

My 4'11" 8.5 stone wife has just been dieting down for a bodybuilding competition and she's been on 1,400 a day and that was only for the last few weeks. 800 is nothing for a grown man.

Anyhow, some good advice above and just to add that consistency is key. Whether that's down to food or when and how you weigh in, just keep it all consistent and the results will come in time. Be patient :)
Yes well put patience is the key, people tend to want results instantly and start doing at types of crazy stuff when the reality is that's good 3 months upwards is needed to see any proper results, by this I mean not them daft two weeks when people go on low carb diets and the scales say minus 6-8lbs when the really all that is lost is mainly water weight!

Dropping too many calories is a typical mistake in dieting but everyone has already said that above. In my opinion, you will lose more weight at 1800 calories a day then you would at 800 calories a day. Your body does a lot of strange things with its "systems" on only 800 calories - it thinks it is being starved!

Anyway, the other thing I wanted to comment on, I have learnt from a lot of dieters. All the advice tells us the maximum recommended fat intake per day. But it does not mention there is also a minimum. Human beings need essential fats in their diet. I have met so many people who have gone on low fat diets and started to feel awful after a couple of months because their bodies are missing the essential fats that they need to function.

So, anyway, just saying make sure you're still eating enough fats and oils in your diet. And the more varied in the type of fats the better.

Dropping too many calories is a typical mistake in dieting but everyone has already said that above. In my opinion, you will lose more weight at 1800 calories a day then you would at 800 calories a day. Your body does a lot of strange things with its "systems" on only 800 calories - it thinks it is being starved!

Agree under eating can have the outcome of slowing one's metabolism. A balanced diet alongside an appropriate exercise regime is the way to burn fat and maintain / increase muscle

There is always metabolic adaption to weight loss but this an area which is full of unknowns and caveats. The Biggest Loser study showed how drastic this can be:

BUT very few people undergo such a severe calorie restriction and exercise regime so it can not be assumed that everyone will see this size of effect.

The NIH bodyweight planner has been tested/compared with multiple studies for accuracy so worth using.

You can use it reverse so that weight loss stops in will tell you how many calories you are consuming so can help you understand errors/issues in your food diary.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom