Weight lifting / body building

yep, there's some great people on youtube...

and what got me through last night (when doing 100 burpees as a finisher with a 20kg vest) - was my kettlebell / bootcamp instructor at the place I train, as he got me into the mindset of pushing yourself past what would your normal limit (tho, perhaps to some it's not?) and keep going... I could have easily stopped after 20, but managed the full 100.. :)

also, I work from home of a Wednesday and don't think I ate enough too... :(

yep, there's some great people on youtube...

and what got me through last night (when doing 100 burpees as a finisher with a 20kg vest) - was my kettlebell / bootcamp instructor at the place I train, as he got me into the mindset of pushing yourself past what would your normal limit (tho, perhaps to some it's not?) and keep going... I could have easily stopped after 20, but managed the full 100.. :)

also, I work from home of a Wednesday and don't think I ate enough too... :(
Great stuff! I will annihilate my shoulders today 😁

I'm a little confused about the numbers. This week my weight went down to 106.1, but my body fat went up by almost 2% o_O
Very strange.

I'll check again next week.

How are you measuring it? (Body fat)

How are you measuring it? (Body fat)
My gym has a machine which measures your height, weight and body fat. You put a pound coin in, go on scales and grab two metal handles on each side when it tells you. I suspect it measures it by sending an electrical pulse through your body.

I thought about buying scales which can also measure BF, but I suspect they are even less accurate.

My gym has a machine which measures your height, weight and body fat. You put a pound coin in, go on scales and grab two metal handles on each side when it tells you. I suspect it measures it by sending an electrical pulse through your body.

I thought about buying scales which can also measure BF, but I suspect they are even less accurate.

save yourself some pound coins and look in the mirror instead.
people get far too hung up on weight and bf%.

I'm a little confused about the numbers. This week my weight went down to 106.1, but my body fat went up by almost 2% o_O
Very strange.

I'll check again next week.

Sadly the only machines that accurately measure body fat is the dex, they are about £50 a go the last I read. To put things in to perspective a little here for your.

At best on a really strict clean diet and good exercise the most bf you could hope to loose in a month is 1-3% depending on your level of commitment.

It's impossible that you could gain 2%bf in 1 week, there are alot of variables that could throw a cheap machine off, clothes, the time of day, food you have eaten in the last 24 hours etc.

Pro body builders go on cuts for roughly 3-4 months to loose perhaps 5-6% bf, but a proper cut is tough and there countless hours spent hungry, it's not a pleasant experience to say the least.

Hope this helps👍

save yourself some pound coins and look in the mirror instead.
people get far too hung up on weight and bf%.
Sadly the only machines that accurately measure body fat is the dex, they are about £50 a go the last I read. To put things in to perspective a little here for your.

At best on a really strict clean diet and good exercise the most bf you could hope to loose in a month is 1-3% depending on your level of commitment.

It's impossible that you could gain 2%bf in 1 week, there are alot of variables that could throw a cheap machine off, clothes, the time of day, food you have eaten in the last 24 hours etc.

Pro body builders go on cuts for roughly 3-4 months to loose perhaps 5-6% bf, but a proper cut is tough and there countless hours spent hungry, it's not a pleasant experience to say the least.

Hope this helps👍
Thank you both.

Just to clarify, I'm not interested in numbers as much is in trends. So for example, I'm interested to see a continued drop in BF. The number itself is meaningless. Same with weight. I'm not interested in losing weight at all. In fact, the ideal scenario to me would be losing BF and gaining weight. Hard to achieve I know, but that's the goal. Failing that, losing BF and keeping the same weight would be great too. That's the only reason for me to checking weight and BF.

I know the accuracy of that machine might not be great, but I plan to keep doing it in regular intervals for a while to see what is the trend. Same day, same time, same circumstances. I don't have access to more reliable BF measuring device, so that is what I have to keep using for the time being.

As mentioned I have started counting calories now as well, but even that is not perfect as a lot of it are just estimates. Again, this is just to see the trend. I have no plans on competing anyway, far too old for that and all of that is just for my own enjoyment and to keep fun. I know that I can stay much more motivated if I have set goals for myself, short term goals and also (more importantly) long term goals. So this is just all part of keeping myself occupied and motivated :)

I have settled down on 2500-3000cal diet at the moment to see what the trend is. 2500-2700 on an off day, 2700-3000 on a training day. Again, rough estimates as I don't live in a perfect world. I have a family and two jobs.

BTW, this is the machine in question. The name is Davi Vendy
atIAxqI.jpg

At the end of the day if you want lower body fat and you are consistent with your training just try and eat better, the addage that abs are built in the kitchen unfortunately is true.

At the end of the day if you want lower body fat and you are consistent with your training just try and eat better, the addage that abs are built in the kitchen unfortunately is true.
Yup, doing that. Lots of veggies, rice and chicken is my base meal. All home cooked. No junk food, no takeaways, no alcohol (haven't drunk a drop in 4 months), don't smoke, lots of protein (around 200g per day), fruits daily, etc. Consistence with the diet and training. Feeling lighter around the belly already. Training consistently heavy. Short rest periods. Sweating lots. No missed a single workout yet.

I wish I could train one more day per week though. As it is I train 3 times per week (spilt body) around 90 min each time, but I recover quite quickly and have a feeling I could get away with hitting the same muscle group twice per week instead of just once. Unfortunately life doesn't allow it at the moment. Anyway, I am quite happy with the progress even as it is.

Not going for any PRs, not really interested in that, but already hitting quite heavy weights. Considering that it has only been a few months since my return, the strength went up massively since then. I'm very surprised. Just Thursday squatted 130kg 8 reps. It did not felt very heavy too, I always had big strong legs, but I am wary about the knees, getting old :) (bought knee support so wanted to try it out). Usually I squat with 110kg 10 reps and a few series. I am very careful with deadlift though so I don't go heavy on that. Most I put on so far is 90kg, but I do deadlift at the end of my back workout just to kill it off, so I am pretty tired then. Another reason is, I don't have a belt yet. I don't want to go heavy with deadlift to protect my lower back. Flat bench 106kg 5 reps. Again, I don't go for PRs, so I usually work with 80-90kg sets of 8 reps. I actually do more of incline than flat chest. On all excercises I'm really careful about the form. Going slow on the way down and faster on way up. Full reps, no cheating. Lots of drop sets. Working hard on my mind muscle connection.

I can't wait for tomorrow. I bought elbow supports as well, so will try them on tomorrow for first time. Tomorrow chest. Cannot wait. Feeling good :D

Last edited:
This was fish, but replace that with chicken breast and you have my typical main meal of the day now that I went on mini diet

Fp3mE0y.jpg

I've always been a strict ectomorph all my life and underweight, but then in recent years people were denouncing the fact these body types even existed citing that ectomorphs simply didn't eat enough (cause or correlation?) - I know I didn't eat enough when I was younger but that various factors like being skint and being active at the same time etc..

I'm not sure what the craic is tho, I just know that I eat a lot more now and a healthy weight (unless you look at a BMI chart..)

I've always been a strict ectomorph all my life and underweight, but then in recent years people were denouncing the fact these body types even existed citing that ectomorphs simply didn't eat enough (cause or correlation?) - I know I didn't eat enough when I was younger but that various factors like being skint and being active at the same time etc..

I'm not sure what the craic is tho, I just know that I eat a lot more now and a healthy weight (unless you look at a BMI chart..)

Yeah I'm not convinced about different body types either, we know that there are bigger boned people so obviously the skeletol frame plays apart here, but some people like running, some can't stand running or any cardio and are happy to lift weights throughout life so remain bigger that way, but if you asked that same person who had been a heavy lifter all their life to become a runner then their full body composition would change in a couple of years then how would they be catergorized?

Oh and please let's not get started on the BMI chart, I read somewhere that this is going to be revised somewhere in the very near future and so it should. It's unbelievable that some people still use this to determine if they are healthy and fit.

Lost around 5 kgs in 4-5 weeks on 2500 - 3000 cal diet. Kept the intensity of my workouts up. Belly is almost gone. In two minds whether to continue as I do now for a little more or up my calories / carbohydrates a bit. I've not measured body fat in a good while, but it must be down by quite a bit.

n1jIoPL.jpg

A few years ago I decided I wanted to train for strength and mass, but didn't go full clean on my eating. I achieved what I wanted and got to 108 kg last year and was the heaviest and strongest I've ever been.

Fast forward to this summer and unfortunately I suffered a potentially fatal illness, unrelated to my weight, which forced me to miss the gym for at least four weeks and since it all happened I changed my eating and diet a bit and have lost all the weight and strength I worked hard for. Weighed myself yesterday and was around 95 kg.

The gym is harder work now and I struggle to lift what I was last year, which is a bit disappointing, but I got back to the gym as soon as possible and am here to tell the tale. The doctors didn't tell me I needed to lose weight, but I don't think it's wise going back to last year and that calorie consumption now.

Still finding my way at the gym, now I don't have the same goal.

A few years ago I decided I wanted to train for strength and mass, but didn't go full clean on my eating. I achieved what I wanted and got to 108 kg last year and was the heaviest and strongest I've ever been.

Fast forward to this summer and unfortunately I suffered a potentially fatal illness, unrelated to my weight, which forced me to miss the gym for at least four weeks and since it all happened I changed my eating and diet a bit and have lost all the weight and strength I worked hard for. Weighed myself yesterday and was around 95 kg.

The gym is harder work now and I struggle to lift what I was last year, which is a bit disappointing, but I got back to the gym as soon as possible and am here to tell the tale. The doctors didn't tell me I needed to lose weight, but I don't think it's wise going back to last year and that calorie consumption now.

Still finding my way at the gym, now I don't have the same goal.
The most important part is that you have survived. Gains, strength and muscle are all nice, but things go quickly into perspective when we fall ill. I hope you will find your way around gym and regain some of it. Health is more important though :)

Believe me Kyle when I say I don't have a time for it too. I've been working 2 jobs for the last 2 years. 7 days per week. However, because I have been very active most of my life (weight lifting, muay thai, MTBing), my body wasn't happy with being lazy. I got grumpy, mood swings and wasn't really enjoying myself much. Since I started training again, I feel much better physically and mentally. It is great to see my body growing again. And it grows very quickly, which I'm quite surprised about.

I had to do a few changes in my lifestyle to fit it in, but it seems to work so far and I have not missed a single workout yet. I had to change days a couple of times, but still managed 3 days per week. Besides you don't have to be there for hours. My workout usually is around 75 - 90min 3 times per week. Now that I am getting stronger I am actually thinking about intensifying it even more and going down to 60-75 min.

There is always something in the way, I have been delaying that moment of starting training again for a veeery long time, but eventually decided enough is enough. If I don't start thinking about myself and my body, nobody else will. Yes, bodybuilding / weightlifting is quite a selfish sport, but my body needs a good kick on regular basis and I see a positive change already. More energy, better mood, etc.

Cardio on its own won't really give you the same IMO. Better to go to gym instead IMO.
What's the best way to bulk up with push ups? Can you recommend a good routine?

What I have been doing and it helps me stay motivated, is on the training days I watch a bunch of training videos on YouTube. Usually during breaks at work. It helps. I did not have that option back in the days. There was no YouTube then and internet was still very primitive. Now I can take advantage of thousands of training videos on the net.
Can u recommend a good leg workout pls?

What's the best way to bulk up with push ups? Can you recommend a good routine?

300 a day for 30 days, workout your highest number of reps in one go, then work with 50% in sets per day...
i.e number of reps = 40, then do sets of 20 per hour your awake until you reach 300..

it's called Greasing the groove..

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend an app for home-based weight training? If been using Adidas (formerly Runtastic) Training which is a bodyweight program, and I really liked it. I would like something similar for weight training as I’d like to bulk up a bit more. I’m very goal oriented and would like a planned program.

Can anyone recommend an app for home-based weight training? If been using Adidas (formerly Runtastic) Training which is a bodyweight program, and I really liked it. I would like something similar for weight training as I’d like to bulk up a bit more. I’m very goal oriented and would like a planned program.

Stronglifts 5x5. Very easy app. Tell you what to do, gives you rests times. If you complete 5x5 on that certain exercise you move up next workout.

Have you tried Nike Training Club? I think it's pretty similar to Adidas app: a lot of achievements, planned programs and stuff.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom