• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Weighing hand luggage at check in

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Just back from Portugal and wanted to get your thoughts on my check in experience.
We booked our holiday with James Villas so they sorted out the flights with flyglobespan and everything else for us.
Anyway got to Glasgow Airport and went to check in, we put our suitcases on the scales and they averaged out at just under 20KG each, there were 4 adults travelling and a baby so we had a suitcase and 1 peice of hand luggage each. Anyway after the suitcases were weighed we were then asked to put our hand luggage on the scales, the total of all hand luggage came to 18KG and were were made to pay for extra baggage allowance at £8 per kg (£144 in total). We were also informermed that this would also be the case on the return flight so during the hoilday I pre booked 20kg of extra luggage for 60 Euros. Needless to say they chose not to weigh the hand luggage on the way home.
Is this normal practice these days to have the hand luggage as part of your weight allowance? The check-in girl said it was clearly written on their website but as the tour operator booked for us we never saw this. Do you think I have a case to claim this back from James Villas or even Flyglobespan?
A friend of ours flew out on the same flight as us a week later and they didnt weigh his hand luggage. Where is the consistancy?

Last edited:

Alan Westy

If weight is so critical these days for luggage, surely its ony a matter of time before the weight allowance is made up of the person and there luggage to be weighed together (this being made up of an average persons weight plus 20kg)
This would seem a much fairer option as everybody would only be paying for their payload on the aircraft.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
There is no consistency with hand luggage, in my experience.
I flew to Prague not so long ago.
KLM via Amsterdam on the way out.
Air France via Paris on the way back.
Because of tight connections, I didn't want or trust hold luggage.
So I followed their instructions on hand luggage to the letter, specifically buying a suitcase that fitted in with their published dimensions and, as a result, had to make do with less 'stuff' than I'd normally take.
Only to see everyone else taking all sorts of bags on board.
Very annoying and frustrating.:mad:
I probably could and should have taken it further, but what's the point?
To get a standard letter back, denying it happened and contradicting my own eyes?
Pah...

Ian J

Banned
I'd take it up with James Villas to see what they say. I've never had my hand luggage weighed but there again I've never flown with that airline and that may be one of their new pennypinching ideas.

I usually fly with Monarch and on the few occasions that one of our suitcases has been over the limit they haven't even charged me excess baggage

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Here is KLM/Air France's 'rules' on hand luggage.
Which I, evidently naively, followed.

One piece of hand baggage
Maximum dimensions; 55 x 35 x 25 cm
Maximum weight; 12 kg

As I said though, safe to assume you can completely ignore this, just like everyone else did on the four flights.:rolleyes:

Yes, I've seen terms & conds that say all luggage, including hand, is included in weight allowance

It's a total racket these days and the trouble is the conditions change without warning every few months

And there is no point in arguing at the airport because nobody cares one jot

Favourite scam is to allow hand luggage weight free on the way out and then weigh the lot on the way back where you have absolutely no chance of winning the argument

They are all learning fast from Ryanair

Dony

Distinguished Member
Flying with Ryanair the other week, at the boarding gate, a couple of girls went up to the hand luggage guide thing, and tried to stuff an oversized bag into it, almost knocking it over. A member of staff calmly walked over with her invoice book and pen, and charged one of them for excess baggage.

The next 10 mins or so was hilarious, watching the number of people shuffling in their seats and looking at the size of their hand luggage. In the end a separate queue had to be formed for people to pay the excess.

I doubt if anyone would have had to pay (never seen anyone charged for hand luggage before) if it wasn't for the 2 girls making it so obvious and bringing it to the staff's attention.

Last edited:

W0LFIE

I fly alot (sometimes every week). Main airports I use are East Mid, Glasgow, Edinburgh & Geneva.
Not once i n 2 yrs has anyone weighed (or charged me for) my hand luggage...:nono:

Next time I rec'd you get one person to stand well away from check in with all the hand luggage.

Note - I'm not saying they can't charge you for hand luggage just that it's never happened to me.

I fly alot (sometimes every week). Main airports I use are East Mid, Glasgow, Edinburgh & Geneva.
Not once i n 2 yrs has anyone weighed (or charged me for) my hand luggage...:nono:

Next time I rec'd you get one person to stand well away from check in with all the hand luggage.

Note - I'm not saying they can't charge you for hand luggage just that it's never happened to me.

Which airlines?

IronGiant

My wife was made to check in her laptop because she also had a small hand bag, so now she travels with a larger laptop bag (still within hand luggage size) that she can also put her handbag in.

Dony

Distinguished Member
My wife was made to check in her laptop because she also had a small hand bag, so now she travels with a larger laptop bag (still within hand luggage size) that she can also put her handbag in.

Is that a new thing?
I noticed a lot of women being told to put their handbags into their luggage at check-in as the bag counted as the one piece of hand luggage.

Only fair though considering the size of some of them :eek:

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Is that a new thing?
I noticed a lot of women being told to put their handbags into their luggage at check-in as the bag counted as the one piece of hand luggage.

Ironic that you can buy as many items as you want in the airport and everything you buy in the airport on in individual carrier bags though isn't it?
Considering some handbags would fit into these carrier bags.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
Flying rules are going nuts (on certain airlines) i am going to dublin for weekend later in the year and considering not taking any bags buying tooth brish and paste there and a lynx bullet. Job done some clean sockets etc in my pockets.

Charter flight used to be awful but scheduled are ctahcing up FAST. That said heard very good feedbackl on air africa recently on mates flight out of Gatwick.

Dony

Distinguished Member
Flying rules are going nuts (on certain airlines) i am going to dublin for weekend later in the year and considering not taking any bags buying tooth brish and paste there and a lynx bullet. Job done some clean sockets etc in my pockets

Knowing that you are an installer, I'm not sure if that's a typo or not. :D

Sandman

Distinguished Member
A lot of interesting comments about varios experiences, I think I will be sticking to the main airlines in the future and avoiding the budget ones. The annoying thing is my 18 month old daughter traveled for free but we would have been cheaper buying her a ticket just for the luggage allowance. Lesson learnt though, avoid flyglobespan.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I think I will be sticking to the main airlines in the future and avoiding the budget ones.

Amen to that.
I'm not saying 'proper' airlines are immune to hassle, but compared with my experiences on budget airlines they are a treat.
I have a rule now.
If I can only afford to use a budget airline, I won't go.

IronGiant

Is that a new thing?

It was about six months ago, she'd not had a problem previously. As Iccz pointed out if she'd had some airport shopping in a carrier bag she could have dropped it in that and been fine.

Ian J

Banned

What's daft is that at Birmingham airport (and probably all others too) once you've checked in your bags and gone through to airside you can not only buy more suitcases but also laptops too.

Dony

Distinguished Member
I've never bought anything bulky before at the airport except for a coat that I wore onto the plane.

Taking a laptop as an example, if you already are carrying one, and decide to buy a second, can the airline now charge you at the gate for extra hand luggage?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom