1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WEGA or Trinitron?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Baggimodo, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Baggimodo

Baggimodo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

having just moved bk home after a mental year at Liverpool uni, i have some spare cash to blow and was considering investing in a nice TV.

I am totally perplexed by the Sony models, although having had a look in my local comet was impressed by the picture quality.

the only thing is now that i have the choice between gettin a 32" WEGA or a 32" Trinitron from KrishAV. theres only a 9 quid difference, but I would like to know the benefits and drawbacks of both systems before i part with my cash.

I apologise unreservedly for my ignorance :p

Baggins (not of the Shire)

2. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds like Sony's logo policy may be getting the better of you (and probably lots of other people too). Trinitron refers to the patented technology within the tube of all Sony's conventional TVs , whereas 'WEGA' is just a 'sub-brand' that Sony like to use for their TVs these days.

I was in my local Sony shop looking at a new 28HX15 model yesterday and I noticed that the WEGA logo is now printed in big letters on the top left of the frame and Trinitron logo is relegated to small printing on the bottom right but this seems to be just a marketing issue, rather than a technical one.

3. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My KV36FS76U had Trinitron on the top left corner BUT also had Wega in the manual! Now,my HQ100 has Wega on the top left BUT Trinitron FD on the bottom right too!! Note that the FD is for the new high pitch tube,which is FANTASTIC BTW! But as above,Trintron is just the name for the tube technology which is old now but Wega is the latest branding for the TV's.

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think you're getting confused. Trinitron is indeed Sony's name for its patented CRT technology. 'Wega' is Sony's name for its patented picture/motion processing technology - its a digital processing 'system' which Sony claims enhances the quality of the signals which enventually 'drive' the actual (trinitron) crt. So they are quite different. If your tv has Wega and Trinitron on it then it has both of these quite separate technologies. Follow this link to read about 'Wega'

http://www.sony.co.uk/PageView.do?s...22717120&section=en_GB_Magazine_Entertainment

regards, yt.

5. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I thought "Picture Power" and "Advanced 100Hz Digital Motion" were the picture processing technonlogy!! That's plastered all over it too! Whatever it means,to me it means excellent picture on the HQ100.Maybe Sony need to clear up their marketing!!

6. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    The features mentions here are actually four different things in the world of Sony.

Trinitron: Sony's Original tube technology. Including a differnet type of appertue grill, single gun etc.

FD Trinitron: This was the first really 'flat' tube technology.

Wega: First used to describe the range of FD trinitron tv's, Wega is actually a star you only see once every hundred years or so. Sony viewed the invention of the flat tube as technology you do not see created very often, and used the Wega tag becuase of this.

Wega Engine: As above this is a new style of processing.

7. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Sorry to add to the confusion, but there seems to be a difference between "WEGA" and "WEGA Engine".

I'd always thought that WEGA was the flat screen version of the Trinitron, which came out about 10 years ago (long before Widescreen).

WEGA Engine appears to be the digital processing.

It sounds a bit like Panasonic's "Acuity" system, which includes both the Quintrix SR CRT and the picture processing system.

Bet you're even more confused now!

8. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    must be,HQ100 has Wega on it but no Wega Engine-this does seem to be picture processing technology on LCD's and Plasma's.Confusing yes,but the short and sweet of it is fantastic picture IMO..........My mistkae on the FD designation-my old FS76U has this and wasn't fine pitch! Looks like Sony just call the fine pitch ones "fine pitch"!!
    They should have called it "Super Wega Fine Pitch" for aded confusion :p

9. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    If you are going shopping for Sony equipment call 08705 111 999 or e-mail general.cic@eu.sony.com and request a brochure. In the brochure is a glossary of Sony 'terms'.

10. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So finally Baggins, tell us exactly which two Sony WEGA Trinitron models are you torn between and hopefully we can help you choose (and may be confuse you a little more in the process! :devil: )

11. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    We've probably put him off the whole idea now!

12. Baggimodo

Baggimodo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be quite honest lads, i am definitely more confused now, but appreciate the effort!

Right the two tvs that i am lookin at are: Sony KV-32CS70 or the Sony KV-32FX68 love the look of both of them, but which is better?

sounds like i am opening a whole new can of worms :p

Or to throw another hat into the ring, are there any other tellies that are worht lookin at?

Cheers in advance

Baggins

13. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    I know this sounds like a cop-out, but only you can decide! :lesson:

Consider which features are important to you and try to get a side by side demo.

But remember that the set-up and viewing conditions in the shop will not match those at home.

It's been said many times on this Forum, but John Lewis are tops for customer service (ie replacement/refund if you're not happy), will pricematch any shop, and throw in a 5 year guarantee for peace of mind.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

14. Baggimodo

Baggimodo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think the John lewis thing will swing it for me tbh

they dont stock the WEGA and the lure of the price match, delivery and free 5 year guarantee is all too much :D

would like to thank all for the help and advice, and will keep u posted on how i find the new tv :D

Baggins

15. Baggimodo

Baggimodo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    me again, lol

how do i go about gettin a price match on John Lewis?

cant see anythin about it on the website!

cheers in advance....

Baggins

16. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll find that they're basically the same under the skin so I'd go for the prettiest, or failing that the cheapest!

17. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Try the search facility of this site, there are lots of threads discussing this topic.

18. Baggimodo

Baggimodo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Lynx

appreciated :D

Baggins

19. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned: