1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wega Engine

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by autobot, May 26, 2004.

1. autobot

autobot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just wondering has anybody seen any of the new XS/MRX plasma/lcds from Sony featuring the new Wega engine, a couple of people have said that Sony has finally got it right with their new range and that the wega engine makes a subtle enhancement, its just I'm about to make my first plasma/lcd purchase and I've always gone Sony for CRT but their flat panels seem to be lacking compared to some of the others.

2. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm in the same position and asked about these a few weeks ago. If you do a search you'll see some feedback on one post. Basically, the initial opinion of one forumite was quite positive.

I've been waiting to see if any reviews appear but none yet as far as I'm aware. Hope you have better luck finding one on display than I've had! Let me know if you have any luck

3. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Likewise - also any information on what 'HDTV ready' means - like can you have digital DVI/HDMI input somehow?

Thanks

Ian

4. autobot

autobot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I imagine DTV in the context you put it means freeview ready, hopefully will see a 42xs1 tomorrow in the Cardiff Sony centre, if their in.

5. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. It was a typo on my behalf - its actually 'HDTV ready'. I asked the local Sony Center here what it meant, and he said that it will work when HDTV is broadcast, but I got the impression he was guessing.

6. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Let us know what it's like. I'm more interested in the MRX1 but I don't think they're having one of those in (or the 42 LCD screen). The XS1 is nice looking from the piccies but it'd got an integrated tuner and I'm looking for a separate media box (and my wife loves the look of the MRX1).

7. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen the picture today and it is the best I've ever seen in an LCD

8. devilpup

devilpup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where i work (a sony centre) we have on display the kdll32mrx1, kdep37sx1, kdep42sx1, and the kdep50mrx1. very nice tv's thinking of getting the kde37sx1.

9. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Its nice but image lag still an issue with these LCDs. Sky Footie and games look terrible.

10. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Every plasma/lcd display you can buy today will be HDTV ready, all this means is that it can accept a 720p/1080i input via RGB or YUV and it will then downscale the signal to the displays resolution, its nothing to write home about and certainly no different to the competition..

A true HDTV display would have a 1920x1080 resolution and so be able to display a HDTV signal without downscaling.

Ryan :thumbsup: