1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weekend Boxing

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Synchronicity, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Theres a few decent fights on this weekend,Clinton Woods is defending his title on Friday night and I think thats being shown on SKY,then Saturday Calzaghe is fighting,with Kahn on the undercard all being shown on ITV :clap:

2. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :thumbsup:

The clinton fight was good, I just can't believe how much he's improved. Definitley a confidence fighter.

I just hope Calzaghe has done his homework because I would love him to meet up with Jeff Lacey later this year,

As for Khan I find it hard to get excited about his fights yet and to be honest can't believe the hype around him.

3. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :thumbsup:

The clinton fight was good, I just can't believe how much he's improved. Definitley a confidence fighter.

I just hope Calzaghe has done his homework because I would love him to meet up with Jeff Lacey later this year,

As for Khan I find it hard to get excited about his fights yet and to be honest can't believe the hype around him.

4. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Amir did very well, battered his opponent for 4 rounds and won on points. its time for him to step a class with his next fight, but no doubt that wont happen :thumbsdow

5. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    I'm no boxing expert, I wouldn't even pretend, but I hope Amir chooses tougher opposition.
    I'm sure choosing 2 obviously inferior fighters for the start of his Pro career is great for morale, but that ain't gonna make him world champ

6. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93

its his manager... always lines up crap opponents when his boxers professional careers are just getting going

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    Yeah some stiffer competiton would be better for entertainment

I'm don't expect real life boxing to have the drama of Rocky v that russian guy but I don't expect a 4 round walk over

Am I expecting too much?

8. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    also , i dont know why hes only fighting over just 4 rounds

9. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    Maybe they wanna prevent injury? I mean media and Kahn supporters are always saying he's damn fast and has good stamina

10. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    against these lesser fighters that are put in front him who dont pose much of a threat, either technically or physically, i think he could be given a good work out by fighting over 10 or 12 rounds. i think that if 35-40 year old has beens can do it im sure an 18 year old can

11. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    i saw him fight at the Reebok a few weeks back and after the fight he looked as fresh as he did when he entered the ring

12. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Kahn may have dominated his weight class in the amateur ranks but pro boxing is a completely different ball game :lesson: Sorry,but any suggestions that he should be fighting 12 rounds now are ridiculous,how many rounds do you think he used to fight in the amateurs?Check the records of people like Lennox Lewis or Audley Harrison,I think they both fought their first 10/12 rounders after 12 pro fights,until that point they were progressing in 6 and then 8 rounders,which is normal practice and not a sign that a fighter is a lazy git looking for an easy life :rolleyes: Sorry,but fighters dont turn pro and dive straight into a 12 round title fight :nono:

I agree that Warren can be extremely overprotective of his fighters,subjecting us punters to numerous tedious bouts where his fighters severely outclass their opponents but from the way Kahn has been talking I dont think Frank will have the opportunity this time as Amir has stated that he wants to be the youngest British world champion ever so there wont be any time to waste padding records and making money of gullible fans :nono:

After all that has been said,I also hope that Kahn steps up the quality of his opposition because it is obvious that he has the ability to maybe skip some of the learning curve.

Looks like bad news for Calzaghe if his hand is knackered,at this rate I cant see him ever getting his much talked about"career defining fight" :rolleyes:

13. soup nazi

soup nazi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Khan has had only 2 fights,he will not step up for the next 10 fights at least.