1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wedgewood Plasma Screens

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MontyUK, Jan 2, 2003.

1. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Afternoon all.

Has anyone bought from the above company, or had any dealings at all with them ? Their URL is

http://www.plasmascreens.co.uk

The reason I ask is they seem to be just about the cheapest around I've seen (Tosh 42WP27B for £2995 delivered), but they aren't Which accredited and I've never heard of them before. Also many of their screens are 'Class A' rather than 'Class B' . . . does this mean they shouldn't be used in a home ??

Any information greatfully accepted.

Monty.

2. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Their prices exclude VAT, which brings the overall price to over £3500. I looked at them too recently as I have also just purchased a Toshiba 42WP27B. I got mine from www.unbeatable.co.uk, priced at £3197.96 including VAT and delivery.

3. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info torrent . . . I hadn't checked Unbeatable, but I have used them before and their service has always been good.

Mmmmm, I believe Richer Sounds will price beat Which accredited web sites by £100, so it could be even better news . . . roll on our house re-mortgage !!

Monty.

4. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the Richer Sounds thing. I sent them an email regarding the "beat this price by £100". To date they have not responded.

I went to their Reading store and can only say that I have never dealt with such an incompetent bunch of muppets in my life. I don't want to go into the story here especially as it revolved more around some Nakamichi hardware than the Toshiba Plasma. Based on my experience with them over that though I wouldn't have placed my order with them even if they had offered me £100 off the price.

On another note, have you worked out how you are going to connect your Sky box and DVD player to the Plasma yet? (Assuming you have a Sky box). I've spent the best part of today trying research this and work it out. I am more confused than when I started now. :)

Good luck with your quest.

5. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Torrent, I know the connection issues are confusing, but assuming your DVD player can do component, I'd use that and use one of Dr John's RGB to VGA coverters for your Sky box. I used that for a friend's set up and it's great. From reading this Forum's postings Dr John's converter is the only one I've never seen anything negative about (except possibly price, but if you spend £3.5K on a screen is £120 too much to ask?!).
    If your DVD can't do component, but can daisy chain RGB that's probably next best.
    Obviously this is only my personal opinion, but one based on actually seeing the results...

Simon

6. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent! Thank you for confirming what I was thinking was the way forward. I have absolutely no problems with forking out the £120, especially as the only other one I have seen is on hificables.co.uk for £150.

Who is Dr John and where do I purchase the cable from?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

7. PVR

PVR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is : www.rgbtosvideo.com

Got my rgb --> vga box from there as well, and it is great.

Regards,

PVR

8. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, sorry that bit of info would have been helpful wouldn't it?
    Dr John's website is http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/
    ...and just in case you're wondering, I have no connection with him or his company except I purchased one that I'm pleased with!

Simon

9. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both.
    You've been a great help.

10. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    I would be inclined to check the information on that website with another source, they have the Pioneer MXE displays listed as Class A which is incorrect.

There may be other mistakes but that was the most obvious to me.

Mark

11. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please excuse me jumping in on your thread but your posts have prompted a related question....

Is the "Dr John's" box *instead* of a component terminal board in the plasma screen or as well as??

FWIW I am planning a completely new setup so need to try and get a grasp of how to connect everything up!

12. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no expert as you know but here is my limited understanding:

Dr John's box takes the Component RGB signals in a fully wired 21 pin Scart and converts them to VGA (15 pin D sub). Also, and this is the clever bit, it takes the Scart's Composite sync and generates the H and V sync required by RGBHV. This is better than using the Scart's Composite Sync (in RGBS).

This means that if you have a VGA 15 pin socket on your plasma (and most do), then you will not need to purchase an AV module.

You mention "Component". The answer here relates to RGB Component and not Component Video (YUV). Does this make sense?

13. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi guys,

if you want some details on the various standards (RGB etc) then look at this link it covers all the basics.

http://www.kat5.tv/videoformats.html

If your DVD does have true component output (ie YUV) and your Plasma supports this then all you need is a suitable SCART to RCA cable. I have to say most UK DVD players output in RGB or composite. In this case you will need the RGB to VGA box as previously indicated.

Hope that helps!

14. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I think I get it now...

The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

15. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm...I'm not sure this is correct. I don't think you can get a straight Scart to Component Video (YUV) cable as Scarts carry Compnent RGB signals and not, as I understand it, YUV. I believe there are YUV to RGB convertors but they are more like a boxed unit as opposed to to a straight cable. Maybe one of the more experienced members can clarify this (if they are still dipping into this thread).

Apologies if I am totally wrong on this one.

16. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your plasma supports RGB with sync on composite, you may be able to use a SCART to 4 RCA cable.

If your DVD and plasma support Component YUV then you will need a 3 RCA to 3 RCA cable (or BNC depending on plasma).

If you wish to convert RGB to YUV colourspace, ie SCART to 3 RCA, you need a convertor box.

Finally, if you want to use YUV for your progressive DVD player, you can purchase an RGB to VGA convertor to use the PC input of the plasma for the STB.

Too many TLA's I think, no wonder we all get confused...:D

17. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I am really confused!

18. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK,

Lets put a typical setup together.

DVD player. Many of the newer players have Component output, 3 phonos on the back, this is also called YUV. When connecting to a plasma this is often seen as the best connection, especially if your DVD player supports Progressive Scan.

So to connect the DVD player to the plasma and get the best picture you would need a 3 phono to 3 phono cable like these:

http://www.hificables.co.uk/acatalog/Cable_catalogue_RGB_RCA_cables_36.html

If it doesn't support component, the next best is RGB, which gives comparable quality. This would be best connected using the method described below (hopefully using RGB loopthrough).

Now, if you have Sky or cable, those boxes can output video in RGB. Most people connect this to the PC input of the plasma using something like the JS Box.

http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/rgb-vga/rgb-vga.htm

Finally, if you have a VCR, these generally go onto the composite input, which gives the poorest picture.

Does that help?

19. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James,

Thanks for the explanation. I was confusing RGB with component.