• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wedding

Calzor Suzay

Finally got round to sorting flickr out and uploading a selection from my first attempt with the 450D.

C&C welcome, it's a learning curve :thumbsup:

2935158345_ddbc0740b3.jpg

2938902400_156410c169.jpg

2935253283_a09a0f34cf.jpg

2936098572_2f1ce54586.jpg

2936060238_7697c507ca.jpg

More at the set here

Last edited:

Calzor Suzay

I wasn't under any pressure to produce the ultimate pics so just wandered about taking photos, I think the brief for the prime was casual no staged shots and he blended in quite well.

I think the only issue I had was no external flash, the pop up can cause some harshness. Having just splashed the cash on a body, two lenses and associated odds and sods I think I'll wait for an external flash and just get a pop up flash diffuser for now :)

senu

Distinguished Member
All the more impressive;)
There is a current thread Wedding Kit vs talent in which there is debate about a Wedding tog with a 350D, kit lens and on-board flash
Your experience seems to lend some credence to the fact that that an Ext flash used ( skilfully) on these occasions is not a luxury, but almost a "must have"

Calzor Suzay

I've seen the thread and being fairly new to the forum not poked my nose in too much :)

I'd say it's a combination, with the current kit an external diffused flash probably would of helped on some of the indoor shots, to be more natural I shot some with no flash and a small aperture (wide open) but again with the kit lense your limited to how far open you can get this which means less light, longer shutter speed, less keepers.

I have noticed I sometimes tend to have more 'headroom' in a shot than desired and need to work on focus lock and recomposing, this might be down to the mode setting of the camera refocusing when it moves.

Still I'm not going to be chasing new kit just yet, considering this is my first DSLR and I'm still learning to play with aperture, shutter speeds, ISO etc I don't think I did too bad :)

I'd say a certain degree of taking a photo is having an eye for the shot and being prepared for it, next having the kit to take the shot, depending on what kit allows you less prep time and you end up with the shot you wanted.

senu

Distinguished Member
I've seen the thread and being fairly new to the forum not poked my nose in too much :)

I'd say it's a combination, with the current kit an external diffused flash probably would of helped on some of the indoor shots, to be more natural I shot some with no flash and a small aperture (wide open) but again with the kit lense your limited to how far open you can get this which means less light, longer shutter speed, less keepers.
With respect, the 450D is better than the 350D and the new kit lens ( with IS) way better than the original one the 350D has .
Also not being under pressure, you dont worry if you have less keepers.. A "Pro" wedding photgrapher cannot afford that luxury
FWIW I have the 350D and like what you can do with it but there is little point not acknowledging how much further better kit can get you ( if you are able to take advantage of it)
Still I'm not going to be chasing new kit just yet, considering this is my first DSLR and I'm still learning to play with aperture, shutter speeds, ISO etc I don't think I did too bad :)
No you certainly didnt and if you needed anymore kit, it would be lenses.. when the time is right, and then a Flash( or both)
I'd say a certain degree of taking a photo is having an eye for the shot and being prepared for it, next having the kit to take the shot, depending on what kit allows you less prep time and you end up with the shot you wanted.
True , " capturing the moment" but what better kit does is make it much easier to get the shots and end up with more keepers , where it is mandatory that you do, as is the case with a Pro with little margin for error ( so to speak).. Wedding shots cannot be re staged for the benefit of the photographer

In the case of say commercial model ? glamour ? adverts ect: you can keep taking it till you get it just right.. The "right " Kit may matter far less as one can get the very best from whatever one has to hand..

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom