1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wedding Video - Company gone AWOL !!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Shady, May 13, 2005.

1. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Chaps

Wondered if you could help me out.

I booked a company (one man band or so it appeared) in January 2004 to record our wedding in September last year. This was done at a wedding fair in Market Bosworth and they were based in Leicester (I won't name them just yet).

At the time I gave them my credit card number, which his assistant wrote down and I was duly charged the £200 booking fee. So far no problems. However I had an uneasy feeling that I had not received a booking confirmation or a receipt and subsequently called and e-mailed him where I was constantly fobbed off. Following many reassurances that all was OK the big day finally arrived and to my surprise the video man also turned up. He stayed for the day and recorded everything from the Bride getting ready to the end fireworks.

He said that the DVD would be ready in a few weeks and left it at that. After returning from honeymoon we called him to check on the progress and found we could only leave messages. He would occaisionally call us back and leave messages (when we were out), stating that all was OK, he had suffered a few personal problems, but was on track with everything to deliver over Christams.

We are now in May and his telephone number that he originally used, albeit not answered, is now unobtainable.

What can I do ?

I have their address as he asked for copies of old photographs to build into the story - do I go round and confront him ?

Of course I don't want to jeopardise the delivery of our DVD which we are really looking forward to, however we may not ever get to see such a thing if he has done a runner.

Is this a job for Trading Standards (Leicester / Hinckley) ? WHo would have a copy of his trading status to see if he has applied for bankruptcy ? This is all new to me and I don't know who I would approach to check this. They are not listed at Companies House.

Any ideas ?

2. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that you need to contact your credit card supplier and trading standards. I would not advise going to see him, hold that in reserve

3. Sarah T

Sarah T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I first read this I thought you had ordered a one man band to play at your wedding.
    It's a tricky one, you really want the dvd so try the gentle approach first.
    Perhaps if you have his address you could drop him a friendly note saying you hope all is well, can't wait to see the dvd and ask when he's sending it or would he rather you come to his house to pick it up.

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hope you haven't lost the videos of the honeymoon? :devil:

5. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    If you've got his address, companies like Equifax hold credit information on people and you should be able to get a report that'll tell you if he's gone bankrupt.

6. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
  7. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    In all honesty mate I'd say you were stuffed. Any company that takes that long to edit and send out your video is taking the p**s. ither that or they've gone down bust. They really don't sound like a professional company

And it certainly sounds like the company has gone down the tubes. If you've paid for it all on your credit card you may, at least, have the small comfort that you'll get your money back.

I would at the very least go around to his office address to see anyone is there. But I think you'll be wasting your time.

Chris

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    At the very least if he has gone bust ( and I fail to see how a one man wedding videographer can actually go bust ) you should be able to get the tapes of the wedding footage from him even if he will no longer edit and create a dvd.

I'm surprised he didn't just send you the tapes himself if he's gone down the crapper...no skin off his nose ...very poor.

9. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,472
    Having just returned from my wedding/honeymoon I can imagine how you are feeling...I am gutted for you, my wife (!) would be absolutely devastated if this had happened to us...and here's me upset that the DVD of our day isn't widescreen. I haven't got any advice for you but I really do hope you can track it down. Good luck.

10. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Is it possible he has had a nasty illness?