1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wedding advice!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by geofftelforduk, Jul 26, 2005.

1. geofftelforduk

geofftelforduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Guys, I am going to a friends wedding on Friday and I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a few tips!!

Heres the scenario!! I am not the main photographer, this is purely for my records!!

I have a 20D with a Sigma 28-135mm Macro Aspherical lens!! Can anyone please suggest the best Mode and associated settings if it is:

a) a dull day with mainly clouds in the sky!
    b) a sunny day!

I look forward to your comments!

PS. I have enough memory to shoot RAW!!

2. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Probably the toughest scenario to get right. I'm no expert try and avoid the back light shining through the windows in church. Outside, try and get the subjects just in the shade so light is still good but not causing peope to squint. You don't really need much depth of field so low Fnumber (assuming light is ok)

Show us some of your results.

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You won't be allowed to use flash during the service so you're going to need a wide aperture for inside the church, you'll have to bump up the iso to get the shutter speed up. Shoot in Raw

For group shots outside then you want a small aperture to get a good depth of field.
    With some luck the light will be good enough for F8 outside

It's inside that's going to be tricky.

I tell you one thing that you don't want to do. When the photographer is taking group photos ect don't copy him as it distracts the subjects, some end up looking at your camera, i've seen it happen.

4. geofftelforduk

geofftelforduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Yeah I totally agree with ya Seany! I just really want to mingle around and take some candid shots and some of the bride etc!

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm sure you will get plenty of tips on this one.

I was in a similar situation a couple of months ago - taking pictures for my own interest to see what I could achieve.

The pro was using a medium format camera and spent ages composing each shot so I had plenty of time.

His compositions were deliberately with the light behind the subject and every shot was with flash. I do not (yet) have a flash so I was at a disadvantage. Using RAW helped compensate a bit.

During the ceremony (registry office) at the point where photos were permitted I had to increase the iso and shoot wide open.

Outside in the gardens the light was good but still with the sun behind the subjects.

I had my Tamron 28-75 on the 20D most of the time but also used the 70-200 F4L for some closer shots at F4 so they were isolated from the background.

I tried different positions but the best shots were mostly from near where the pro had set up. When a group are looking away from the camera significantly it just does not look right for a wedding picture. (didn't realise that at the time)

He took every shot from a tripod. I just had to watch the shutter speed was not getting too slow - I used aperture priority so I knew what depth of field I would be getting. Changing the iso is easy on the 20D so I just bump that up anytime the shutter is too slow.

I took quite a few 'candids' of family members and kiddies dressed up etc. they went down well with the couple.

We got 50 pictures printed and put them in an album as an after wedding extra gift. Also made a DVD slideshow of every passable shot and put some music to it. They were chuffed with both and show the DVD to anyone that will look :)

I shot RAW with small jpg throughout. It is an interesting exercise to compare all your hard work on the RAW's with what the camera did.... but thats another topic:)

Oh yes.. if you haven't already I'd suggest you change the focus method to use the single centre square only. Stop you getting out of focus shots because the camera chose something else and you didn't notice. Think theres a parameter you set that lets you pick other points with the joystick button thing if you need to.

7. geofftelforduk

geofftelforduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    50mm fixed or 28-135mm for wedding candids? WHY?????

8. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    i shot at iso800 in Av mode to allow me to keep the shutterspeed quick and loose the backgrounds.

important bits, shoot in raw, then you can white balance off the brides dress or off white shirts in post processing (VERY IMPORTANT!) select the focus point so it focuses on the faces/eyes etc

try to contact the vicar (if you must) in advance and ask him what people often do when photographing at his church (where the shoot from, what looks good etc) better still go to the wedding herhersal if you can and scope the place out.

if you can use a flash use bounce flash off the ceiling or wall to soften it a bit.

good luck! its nerve wracking but the reults are worth it, i photographed a friends wedding a few months back and there are some results on my site ( http://www.whitewashimages.co.uk ) they loved the pictures :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    He'll have the presure off as he's not actually the photographer for the wedding.

10. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    thats excellent then, i did that at another wedding, basically taking advantage of him setting the people up and then me stood behind ontop of a wall, taking wide angle shots, i then spent the wedding reception snapping away, taking pictures of people having fun! :D

11. geofftelforduk

geofftelforduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Yeah Seany and Mr Jones, thats right, I am just doing it for my own pleasure and well if I get a couple of good shots that I can give the bride and groom then thats a bonus!!

I appreciate all the advice as I am new to DSLR! Keep it coming!

BTW - what are the advantages off using the 50mm prime over a 28-135mm, or vice versa?!?!

12. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22

50mm has an f stop of 1.8 (or 1.4 if you fork out!) whcih cant be said of any zoom lens. to be honest i took 95% of the wedding snaps on the canon kit lens (18-55mm EFS - cuz it was all i had apart from the nifty fifty!) so keep all options open to yourself, 50mm is a great portrait lens (i have one and its attached to my cam almost permenantly) so if you have one keep it close and if your working with the bride and groom it can be a great lens to use.

just snap away, go candit, steal as many kisses as possible, get those great side on faces (staring into the partners eyes) that can only come from candit pics. oh and above all HAVE FUN! :lesson:

13. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    the zoom lens will be useful if there is a gallery in the church, it'll allow you to get shots from above without the congregation (i think thats the correct bible basher term) in the way, even better for those candit shots. as well as getting close cropped shots from the side eisles of the church.

just enjoy yourself (if your taking pictures and not enjoying doing it then why bother --> thats my moto!) relax, some sods getting paid hundreds of quid to take boring run of the mill pictures and yours will probably kick ass :)

14. geofftelforduk

geofftelforduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Mr Jones, I like your attitude! Yeah, I intend to enjoy! I see it as another way to practise with my new 20D!! I will have both at hand and see how I get on! I will post some samples on Saturday!!!

15. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're one of the guests (and can mingle easily), something more in the 17-24mm range will work very well for candids. Gives a more intimate perspective, (and avoids people getting in the way). You can also vary the composition a lot by moving around a small distance; much harder with 50mm which is effectively tele.

And of course, take lots of pictures; they're free.