Website Help

richjthorpe

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My parents own a florist in Sheffield and have asked a local company to design and host their website.

When the site first went up, they did a search for 'Florists of Sheffield' (Which the website has word for word) and it came up a respectable 7th in the list.

A week later they did the same again only to be 77th.

Why is this and how can they get back close to the top again ?

Thanks, Richie.

If you PM me the url I will gladly have a look at it for you.

richjthorpe said:
Hi all,

My parents own a florist in Sheffield and have asked a local company to design and host their website.

When the site first went up, they did a search for 'Florists of Sheffield' (Which the website has word for word) and it came up a respectable 7th in the list.

A week later they did the same again only to be 77th.

Why is this and how can they get back close to the top again ?

Thanks, Richie.

Aaaaahhh.... the mysterious world of Google. Google seems to have what the call a 'sandbox' policy. new sites can appear and rank very highly for a short period. Google monitors the traffic and then uses that as a guide to how relevant the site is. If you don't get many clickthroughs you can find your site way down the list.

There are some basic rules that you can try in order to climb bacl up the listings:

Site optimisation. Good keywords and keyword density - 5 to 10% is a good average on your main keywords.

Keep coding clutter to a minimum - your text should be as close to the top of the page as possible, in code terms as Google will only read a certain % of the file. Google also finds complex Javascript difficult to wade through.

Back links: build good back links to your site. preferably sites that have a good Google Page rank.

More content the better. A 5 page website will not get very far as there is little or no content for people to read.

Good crosslinking within the site - builds a real 'web' of content. Make sure you use whole key phrases as links, rather than putting a link on 'click here'

Use good SEO sites like searchenginewatch.com for more info.

If all that fails use a Pay per Click service to get you started. But just watch your choice of phrases with this as you can burn money at a rate of knots.

any more questions just PM me.

Dr Diversity said:
Have 70 other Sheffield florists put up a web site this week?

I surprised that so many could exist there!

Chris Lamle said:
Aaaaahhh.... the mysterious world of Google.

Periodically they also make changes to their ranking algorythm which can affect some sites. The last re-organisation took place about 6-8 weeks ago and many high ranking sites disappeared.

page <title> tags seem to have a big effect on google rankings from what I remember when i was setting up my mums site.... worth checking these out too, most web-design SW just bungs any old rubbish in if you're not careful..

(quite old info there though, I could be talking bollards again...!)

The Dude said:
I could be talking bollards again...!)

Not at all - Google places great store on the page title but it must be relevant to the content, as decided by a piece of software.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

The site is only small detailing the business, gallery and a few other things so I think there are only about half a dozen pages in total but at the moment they don't need much more as they haven't got anything like online transactions or anything. To be honest I think it's better they didn't have that, they've only just got dial up last year !

:)

Richie.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom