• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Website Design Question - Screen Resolution

Elrond

OK, so I've designed myself a website and all looks OK and fits on the screen nicely. Then I test it on 1024x768 and the page does not fit on the screen.

Being a developer at work I still have to design to 1024x768 and all our websites are a minimum of 1024x768 but would people expect a photography site to fit that resolution as well considering photographers will be the main visitors and have a larger resolution anyway?

I have looked at some other sites and sites of people from here and the majority do not fit on 1024x768 and one site would not just be photographers visiting (selling a service)!

So, what do people think, should I stick with what I've got (its not to far off) or change to support 1024x76?. As a developer I know I should really support it, but then the images sizes would be a bit smaller!

Peakoverload

Well seeing as 1024x768 is still the most used resolution I would say that this should be what you aim for. HOWEVER, there is no hard and fast rule as really you'd design for your target audience.

If you were selling photos or a service to Joe Blogs then I'd say 1024x768 but if you are not and know for certain that most people viewing your site will be people looking to see your photos as large as possible on large screens then I'd maybe look at something like 1280x800.

However, (yes another however) I'd never put my photos online so that they were larger than 1024 width as it just makes them far too usable if/when they are stolen. Therefore, your site may fit 1280 but I'd still only have my photos at a max of say 800-900.

Depending on how you've designed your site and what you want it to look like you could try having the page fit say 1024 but allow photos to break out of that 'confine' by using various things like a lightbox which superimposes the photos over the page.

HTH

dmx005

We generally try to keep sites we build to fit 1024x768 as this is currently the most common resolution. I thought we would never get past designing sites for 800x600 but we got there in the end!

Have a look here:

this will give you some food for thought. i wouldn't necessarily say rebuild ure site, especially if its going to take quite a bit of time. Maybe sign up to Google Analytics and as a matter of interest keep check of your visitors resolutions so you can make a more informed decision down the line.

All the best..

Know your market and if possible use the correct code.

You know 1024 x 768 is not really 1024 x 768 ? I mean you need to knock off pixels for bars and menus and so on. Also what about Mac's ? ;)

I work for a large company that recently changed 50+ websites to fit 1024 x 768 all due to stats from users. What they did not find out was that the stats reported had came from maximum available size. :suicide: They also used % code regarding width and height :suicide: The phones just kept ringing :mad:

I would design the site for the market that you are aiming at. :smashin: I now browse the internet at 1360 x 768 :D

Elrond

Thanks for the reply's.

As I will probably just like people to visit the site and look rather than visit and think about purchasing anything at the moment I think I may go for 1024x768 and as its mainly CSS it won't take to look to re size (only used %'s once but it was the only option I had.

Also what about Mac's ?

OK, i'm using a Mac, but quite new to them so why is it different for Mac's?

OK, i'm using a Mac, but quite new to them so why is it different for Mac's?

Gamma 2.2 and 1.8 ;) it can have major problems if you want to colour match screen colour for example products and so on.

The best thing would be design it stick a demo site up and ask on the forums for people to give you some feedback :smashin:

tontoshorse

OK, so I've designed myself a website and all looks OK and fits on the screen nicely. Then I test it on 1024x768 and the page does not fit on the screen.

Being a developer at work I still have to design to 1024x768 and all our websites are a minimum of 1024x768 but would people expect a photography site to fit that resolution as well considering photographers will be the main visitors and have a larger resolution anyway?

I have looked at some other sites and sites of people from here and the majority do not fit on 1024x768 and one site would not just be photographers visiting (selling a service)!

So, what do people think, should I stick with what I've got (its not to far off) or change to support 1024x76?. As a developer I know I should really support it, but then the images sizes would be a bit smaller!

If you do have any spare time -I've always wanted a web site!

Any (very easy) how to's?

Mind I'm not at all web savvy. ;)

Elrond

If you do have any spare time -I've always wanted a web site!

Any (very easy) how to's?

Mind I'm not at all web savvy. ;)

I'm more a software developer rather than web, but then I have been interested in designing sites so I know a bit.

How to's - Know your limitations! I wanted to code everything, even the flash that I had no clue about, after months (not constantly) of trying and pulling my hair out I had got something I was proud of but then found a problem and then thought, why not pay a bit of money for something that will do it and a lot more.

Seriously though, you could learn HTML and CSS and design it yourself or there are programs out there that you design graphically and the code is done for you.

Also you will get a lot of differing opinions from people so take that on board to help you but ultimately it will be/is your site.

Also there are a few places that have the templates and you just upload your photos. Normally for a fee though but then done yourself you would have the domain name and hosting costs anyway. Some to have a look at are:

Websites for Photographers and Artists
PhotoBiz - Flash Websites for Photographers Ignore the $125, look down for $15 a month for 200 photos
SmugMug Photo Sharing. Your photos look better here.Depends on the sub you take but it can be customised. Others on here have used it.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom