• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Website creation & hosting for beginners?

clockworks

Despite being in IT (hardware engineer) for over 30 years - before it was even called "IT" - I've had absolutely nothing to do with websites, apart from as a user.

I've just taken over as admin for our RC club website, posting the results of race meetings, etc. Fairly straightforward, once I found some software that works with a Mac (Transmit3 FTP and Kompozer HTML editor).

I thought that I should have a go at creating a very simple website for my part time small business, just to get a few hits from potential customers Googling. To keep costs down, I want to use the free hosting supplied by Orange, my ISP.

The software that Orange supply is absolutely awful - I can't get anything to work.
All I want is a single page. If I create an HTML page, how do I go about getting it hosted for free? Will Orange supply the host server account details so I can FTP it myself?

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Not the official site, but has the Orange FTP details

Orange Settings - FTP Settings for My Site and Site Builder from OrangeProblems.co.uk

Create your html pages and upload them via FTP.

If Orange don't provide the option to configure a purchased domain name properly for your site, 123-reg.co.uk offers services to either redirect people to your orange website URL, or load your orange website in a frame.

The frame option will allow you to keep your domain name in the address bar. The redirect option will mean the user will get your orange/username web address given by orange

clockworks

Thanks for the info, but I still can't get it to work.

I've published the site, using the Orange website maker, but can't view it.

If I try and FTP to the site, I can't connect to the server - it times out.
I'm using the server name - sitebuilder.orange.co.uk
Username - (my email address)|websitename
Password - the password that gets me logged onto the Orange websitemaker.

I wonder if it's yet another example of apps that don't work on a Mac?

Edit:
I just tried using a different browser on my Mac (Camino), and I can view the website, o I know that it's there. I can't FTP to it, though.

Last edited:

clockworks

A bit of googling suggests that Orange disabled FTP access last year.

Are there any sites offering free hosting that work with FTP?

weetsie

i wouldn't use orange webspace if i was you, there are better and free linux servers with Cpanel and mysql.

a quick google search gave me Free Web Hosting - http://x10hosting.com/

then you need filezilla http://filezilla-project.org/download.php there is no FTP client that compares, dont settle for anything less.

then you can go for a subdomain or even a YOUDOMAIN .TK www.dot.tk

that will give you something that is alot easier to manage and it will look much more professional.

all that is left is for you to write and upload a site.

i wouldn't recommend writing a 1 page HTML job, not when PHP is so easy and so much more powerful. installing a template or even a complete CMS only takes a few clicks in the free Cpanel you get with free hosting.

andyk

As you are a Mac user I'd recommend CyberDuck rather than Filezilla. It is also free, but is much better (in my opinion anyway)

Matt W

Moonfruit?

clockworks

Ok, I created an account with x10hosting. The website is there - I can see a directory tree at the URL in my browser.

Problem is, I can't FTP to the server. I get "server not found".

Am I correct in thinking that any FTP program should be able to connect to the server?

Edit: Fixed - I needed to create an FTP account with x10hosting.

Last edited:

weetsie

how could you of tried to FTP to the server if you hadnt created an FTP account? you wouldnt of had any details to put in :confused:

clockworks

how could you of tried to FTP to the server if you hadnt created an FTP account? you wouldnt of had any details to put in :confused:

As I said at the beginning of this thread, I'm an absolute beginner at this. I figured that the FTP account would be created as standard - how else was I going to transfer files? :oops:

I got some details that looked like they would work - server name, username and password - when I set up my x10 account.

Last edited:

clockworks

Right, I've got my x10hosting account set up, FTP is working, and I've vreated a (very) basic page. It's up there on the web.
I've added some metatags, as explained in "thesitewizard.com", and made sure that some keywords are in the first bit of text on the page.

How long does it take before the page will show up in Google if I search on the keywords?

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom