Website builder

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by leo79, May 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. leo79

leo79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +400
    Hi

I really need to get my website sorted but I don't know where to start. I've had a look at Weebly and Moonfruit but I'd prefer not to have to maintain it myself.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I don't need a shop or anything fancy, just a web presence really. Someone has suggested soletrader.com which seems cheap and cheerful, rocketspark.com which looks good but more than I want to spend, and swiftcreations.co.uk which looks cheap and apparently is very cheap.

Thanks

2. E-com

E-com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +537
    i think it depends how much your website is going to be a part of your overall business plan. you might find its cheaper to outsource to someone in the long run to get something bespoke.

3. leo79

leo79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +400
    It's really just to have a presence, I have got a site at the moment but it's shocking. I'd like to add my website to my stationary but at the moment I don't because it's something I threw together years ago.
    I don't need it to promote more work but I'd like to look a bit more professional.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,930
    leo, I think the key question you need to ask here is 'What is the aim of the website?'. You mention it is just for 'presence' which I assume means just basic details - are you sure that is all you want? I don't know what business you are in but IMHO there are very few enterprises where a decent online presence won't drum up extra trade - if nothing else by making you more visible to users who are googling your product or service. A very basic website (however smart and shiny) can be quite frustrating in such circumstances. For example, you give your card to a potential client and they take the trouble to look at your website because they are interested in your product/service. This is the time to give them detail and if all they see if PR fluff or superficial details you are wasting their time.

Factors to consider for your website:
    - Who is going to use the information on the website? - i.e. what do you need on the website! What value is this going to add and to whom?
    - What age are your viewers likely to be and what devices are they likely to use to view the website? - i.e. do you need to invest in a fully responsive design?
    - Are you sure you cannot monetise (even just partially) on your website? - i.e. are you 100% sure you don't need e-sales components?
    - Do you need restricted (client only) areas?
    - What does my competition do?

All this said I am inclined to agree with E-com that for a business you are probably best to look at an external producer for your website. It is relatively easy to make a professional looking website with all the WYSIWYG type web-builders out there but its got to offer something otherwise you are just wasting your time. It is worth getting the above straight in your mind before you contract someone to build a website for you.