• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

WebPage Design Help Needed

nheather

Distinguished Member
My son and I need some assistance with a web design project he is doing at school.

He is using DreamWeaver and at the moment is restricted to basic HTML - no javascript, java, plugins etc.

He has created the complete site but is struggling on one aspect.

On the home page he has an 'About Us' link.

What he wants to happen is for this to open a small webpage or dialog box with a small description of the ficticious company.

He wants this to be an additional page rather than replacing the homepage in the browser.

With my help we have managed to get it to open a new page with all the info present. But what we can't do is control the size. Each time it opens as a big page with a tiny amount of text on.

Is there a way to limit the size of this new page so that it is more appropriate for the amount of info being displayed - or is there a better way of doing it.

Cheers,

Nigel

j98

Established Member
I don't think you can specify the size of the new window in html. It's very easy with javascript but that would be cheating :)

Edit: You could centre the content in a small box if you just want it to look nicer. For example a little white box on a black background.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
To open a link in a new window you can use:

HTML:
<a href="about.htm" target="_blank">About Us</a>

In order to specify the window size you'll need to be using JS as far as i'm aware.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies.

Yep I worked out the "_blank" bit but couldn't find anything about setting page size - now I know why.

Whilst I could look into JavaScript I think I'll tell him to stick to standard HTML as they haven't covered any scripting or programming yet.

Cheers,

Nigel

nheather

Distinguished Member
Not trouble just accepted that he will just have to let the new form size how it likes.

However, if you know a way using plain HTML (no programming or scripting) then I'm still interested.

Cheers,

Nigel

Disco_dave1

Standard Member
I dont understand what you mean by "page settings"?

the "about us" will need two things

a) its own page
b) a link in the nav bar/menu saying "about us", but then in Dreamweaver, you can set a link to open in a new/parent/blank window, by using the page properties at the bttm of the screen. In target, drop down the arrow, and choose _blank

Iccz

Distinguished Member
I dont understand what you mean by "page settings"?

the "about us" will need two things

a) its own page
b) a link in the nav bar/menu saying "about us", but then in Dreamweaver, you can set a link to open in a new/parent/blank window, by using the page properties at the bttm of the screen. In target, drop down the arrow, and choose _blank

That's what was previously said :confused:

Iccz

Distinguished Member
im confused slighty, as to what the OP wants? ... :confused: Just trying to explain in english, sorry :oops:

OP was looking for a way to use a new window, such as _blank, but to have it open at a set size xx high xx wide etc.

The best alternative as suggested above is a css rollover.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the info.

I might have a look at the CSS. It's a little advanced for him but they have been introduced to CSS but primarily just to set consistent font styles, background colours etc.

But we'll have a play and if he understands it then have a go.

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom