WebGuide now free!!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Singh400, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    I know we got some MCE lovers on here, so I thought I would share the good news. Seems like an ace program, just ashame that I don't use MCE. Plus, it's now FREE (thanks Microsoft).

2. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Looks like Microsoft have hired Doug Berrett (the author WebGuide) into the Media Center team. The downside is that there will be no new features in WebGuide. The upside is that presumably there will be no more hassle about him reverse engineering access to the EPG data.

This is very good news as WebGuide is far & away my preferred interface to the EPG for scheduling recordings as on my 24" monitor it allows me to see 4.5 hours worth of guide data over 28 channels at the same time & quickly move around the guide by grabbing a slider in the browser window.

3. alfaevans

alfaevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the post.

I immediately downloaded it last night - what a cracking programme. Really is the nutz.

I have never tried it before ... great stuff.

4. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    On reflection this isn't such good news.

I thought WebGuide was so good that I bought it a couple of months ago. On the 'About' screen it says "Thank you for purchasing WebGuide4! Your support helps make future WebGuide updates possible." It sounds like that is an empty promise now. Microsoft have hired Doug Berrett in order to halt further development of WebGuide.

5. DervMan

DervMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Quite the opposite, they hired Doug because of WebGuide. The WHS version is currently in BETA and MS will be releasing it when finished. The development will go on and not doubt it will get better.

6. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Do you have some evidence for that statement? Doug posted

7. DervMan

DervMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes it was on the MS Windows Home Server blog.......

"Also, as the Code2Fame Challenge was getting announced, Doug posted a beta version of WebGuide for Windows Home Server. This beta is still available from his site. At this time, there is not a formal date for when a final version of WebGuide for Windows Home Server will be available. We are excited about Doug joining the Windows Media Center team and WebGuide becoming a great solution for Windows Media Center customers today and for Windows Home Server customers sometime in the future."

It's a good blog - if you're interested in WHS!

http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/

8. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I don't think a promise to

9. TShill7

TShill7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Excellent program - I too downloaded this off the back of this thread. One problem for me is that I'm not sure how to "turn on" the advanced features. :confused:

I was given a "demo" code to input into Webguide - but absolutely no guidance as to how or where!!

If anyone knows - please could I have some instructions. Other than its a really cool piece of software. Now to upgrade my phone to a Vario III (when lainched) and to find an EPG grabbing programme that will give all the channels on my motorised satellite set-up. Hmmm.... ;)

10. scrambler2

scrambler2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You do not need any code with the last version. Ignore the popup that mentions the need for a demo license. I just downloaded it yesterday, installed it, then configured it, and everything is there and working.

The advanced features are among other things , the streaming of video or live TV from the Media center PC. You do need to have configured it properly when the configuration page came up at the end of installation.

To try it, log onto webguide from any machine on your network, either select an existing recording, and in the options at the right of the recording, you should see a stream button. Or you can select guide, click on a program that is currently running, and in the options on the right of the program (together with record), you should also have a stream button.

If you have the stream button, then the advanced functionnality is there.

Given you have already installed a demo key, if you have problems, you may want to uninstall the program, and then re install it without the key.

11. TShill7

TShill7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks scrambler - I've tried the Live TV stream and it works (albeit slowly via a Nokia 6280 connecting to a Pocket PC by bluetooth). I'm hoping the Vario III will speed things up though.

Couldn't connect behind my corporate network but assumed that firewall settings at work were the reason. Still, WebGuide is great and I just hope it still gets developed under the MS umbrella.

12. scrambler2

scrambler2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have you tried streaming to another machine on your local network (wired and or wireless), and if so can you tell me the maximum bitrate you can stream at.
    On a wired LAN (100Mbps) PC my maximum streaming bitrate is 2000kbps, and on a wireless (54Mbps) the best I can do is 200kbps.
    I find these low given the network bandwidth and the host Cpu are far from maxed out

thanks

13. TShill7

TShill7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'll take a look tonight (whilst watching the England game :clap:) and let you know my findings.

14. naturbo2000

naturbo2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    hehe - it's always been free for me as I've been a beta tester :)

It's a shame if it means there's no future WebGuide updates - It's pretty good as is, but Doug's been excellent about providing help and support esp. regarding resolving live TV streaming, and it would have been nice to see some advances on e.g. the vista sidebar gadget.

Regarding streaming - Over LAN, I can definately manage to stream at the Ultra settings (8Mb/s). For liveTV, it's traditionally been much lower for me (~2Mb/s), but that's been RAM/CPU limited on my MCE box. I've also been able to manage 350kb/s over the internet (with a 768kb/s upload connection) - useful Slingbox if you're somewhere that doesn't have Sky, but you need to see a game :)

15. scrambler2

scrambler2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thank you for the data. It means I definitely have a problem, as I cannot stream above 2000kbps (existing recording) on a 100Mbps LAN, and 200kbps on a 54Mbps one.

Any ideas on what could be limiting my streaming performance (not CPu, not memory, not network bandwidth), are welcome.

just for reference, what encoder do you use ?

16. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    isnt this the same as orb? which has been free for ages

and you can stream internet tv as well

17. scrambler2

scrambler2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No Orb and Webguide are similar but with a few key differences.

With orb, things go through their server, and you get adds to pay for the software. It is not integrated with Media Center, and apparently interferes with it when streaming live TV.

With Webguide, your PC directly streams to any web browser, so no adds, the SW is now Free as Microsoft hired the developper. It is fully integrated with media Center, you have a Media Center like interface, you can remotely access the Media Center TV Guide, and Schedule recording within Media Center.

18. DervMan

DervMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2