Weber BBQ help...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Autopilot, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,552
    Right, know there is a HUGE bbq thread already. I can't read the whole thread sorry, it's just far too long for someone who was not there at the beginning. So I apologise in advance if some/all of my questions have already been done in that thread. However if the mods insist, then merge if you have to...

I have a few people coming around tomorrow and I just bought a brand new weber kettle (57cm). At some point in the near future I plan to do whole chickens, smoke fish, pulled pork etc.

Tomorrow though I have the classic problem of lots of people bringing all different types of burgers, sausages, chicken, steaks, veg, and so on... So I need a strategy. What the best way to approach the randomness of these kind of events? I have heard of the 50/50 method - would that help me? I have a few wood chips, should I just forget them for now? Any guidance at all would be appreciated.

2. SteakAndCake

SteakAndCake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,476
    50/50 should work. Get the sausage, chicken, and veg cooking indirectly then sear the steaks over the coals. Try to keep the lid closed even when doing the steaks. Get thick steaks as they are more resilient to overcooking and after cooking you can let them rest for a while to the side and they won't lose all their heat too quickly.

3. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,552
    Thanks. Do I need a drip tray on the coal-less side? I have on that came with the BBQ but it's probably too big.

4. SteakAndCake

SteakAndCake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,476
    You dont NEED one but you might find fat especially from the sausages runs down and hits the coal creating a lot of smoke.

5. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,552
    Excellent. Would you bother with wood chips?

6. SteakAndCake

SteakAndCake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,476
    Not for any of that food. I'd use chips for long cooks like roasting a chicken or brisket, or pulled pork. Stuff that cooks fast won't have that much time to absorb the flavour so for the type of BBQ you're doing, I'd skip it to remove one less hassle.

7. Monty Nine

Monty Nine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Top vent open all the time.

Control the heat with the bottom vent. Try it half open once the coals are roasting.

8. JimmyMac

JimmyMac
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,498
    Just to confirm what's been said, 50/50 is perfect, if the fish has skin on I just leave it skin side down in the indirect side and leave it be. The skin crisps up and has great flavour while protecting the fish from burning. As things cook in the direct side you can move them over to keep warm

Gotta emphasise what's been said about keeping the lid on too, keep the heat in and cook all round better.

Probably not enough time but worth investing in something like a thermapen for the future, really easy then to ensure things are cooked perfectly