WebElectricals: £75 collection fee for Sharp 42XD1E?!

NikkiC

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Greetings! This is my first post. I finally bought a Sharp LC42XD1E on the collective advice of many here. This is my first LCD TV and I was extremely nervous at the purchase because of comments about banding, buzzing and other issues. With hindsight, I should have bought from Dixons. They have a really good returns policy. Instead, I bought it from www.webelectricals.co.uk.

To cut the story short, the screen has six dead sub-pixels. Three are green, including one which is left of centre. That one is very visible when using it as a monitor with a PC. The retailer contacted Sharp and got a response that it isn't a defective screen. Apparently, you need about 30 dead pixels, according to WebElectricals, before it can be classified as defective. :rotfl: Anyway, I've exercised my right to cancel within 7 days to return the TV for a refund. WebElectricals will collect the TV but will charge an extortionate £75 for the collection. Would one consider that as "exceeding the direct costs of recovering any goods supplied"? I will investigate that one because it doesn't sound quite right. I'll have to ask one of the lawyers I work with. :cool:

I'm ordering the same TV again from Dixons. Their collection free is slightly more reasonable at £20. Apart from the dead pixels and very slight vertical banding in the centre of the screen, the screen is fantastic.

Nikki

If something is faulty, a web based company should collect it free of charge. If it's something a customer is cancelling purely because they have decided they don't want it, i can understand that the company doesn't really want to pick up the carriage costs, as well as having a used TV in their possession.

This is probably one of the areas that are never considered when buying plasma and LCD TV's. It's always the price that's important. Until it goes wrong......

How do you know the retailer contacted Sharp? Why don't you contact them yourself, and confirm/not what WebElec are saying?

In any case, it doesn't sound right. The item is faulty and should be at least exchanged FOC immediately.

Maybe you can get helpful info from the Office of Fair Trading: http://www.oft.gov.uk/

clemenzina

Apparently, you need about 30 dead pixels, according to WebElectricals, before it can be classified as defective. :rotfl:
Total tosh. I believe the limit is somewhere between 5 and 10, and it depends where they are on the screen. If they're all around the egde of the screen, it's 50/50, but if there are blatant ones in the middle, then that's a different story. Get tough with them. If they stick to their guns, ask to see Sharp's returns policy in writing. Probably best to contact Sharp yourself and arm yourself with the ammunition before confronting WebElectricals.

I read this article that was posted by some other poster on this forum (cant remember his name) which I found extremely helpful:

http://community.matchbox360.co.uk/showthread.php?t=825

I hope this helps you and I hope you manage to kick those ****s from WebElectricals where it hurts! Its these kind of sellers that treat their customers this way that really get on my nerves :mad: :mad: :mad:

This is a great web page! Personally, all LCD products should come with a warning "x number of defective pixels allowable". The order has already been cancelled. I'd love to take this further, but I'd have to rehabilitate the order to do so? The TV will be collected Monday.

Sounds like they are taking the ****. A reasonable re-stocking fee is allowed, I would say including collection £30 is fair - how much was delivery in the first place ???

Argos for example do not even charge a return fee, or you can off-load to your nearest store.

I threw in the towel on the Sharp 42XD1E, Sony W2000 and Toshiba WLT66 as I got scared off by panel lotteries.

Have ordered a Samsung LE40M87BDX at £1025 delivered instead from dabs.com. Just waiting on stock 5-7 days.

40"
1080p
3 x HDMI v1.3
etc.....

They can't charge a restocking fee if I cancel within seven working days, I don't throw out the packaging and keep reasonable care of the goods. I'm taking photographic evidence of its pristine condition before it's sent on its way. Call me paranoid! Delivery is free except Saturday which is £29. I've logged a complaint about this at the Office of Fair Trading.

Argos are fantastic. What is the delivery cost? £4.95 for unlimited items? And collection is free! I bought a leather sofa from them because of this policy.:smashin:

Is the Samsung LE40M87BDX any good? Hmmmm, I do like the extra 2".

Argos may be better when it comes to returns, but they're buggers for repackaging returned stock and selling them as new goods (i'm not breaking any rules or inviting court cases here, i've had first hand experience!). A guy i worked with bought a printer which they put in a large bag for him. When he got it back to the store where we worked, he found it had been resealed. Opening it up, the printer cartridges had been punctured and used. He took it back and they gave him another one. He didn't open it until he got back to where we worked because you'd think that was the end of it. Same again (it was a different one)! When he changed it again, that was a rebox too, but the cartridges weren't punctured. He gave up after that and accepted it.

The point is that Argos may have a lax returns policy and charge less for returning things, but someone cops it somewhere. Usually the guy who buys the one you returned!

(expecting the edit to come soon.......) :)

They can't charge a restocking fee if I cancel within seven working days, I don't throw out the packaging and keep reasonable care of the goods. I'm taking photographic evidence of its pristine condition before it's sent on its way. Call me paranoid! Delivery is free except Saturday which is £29. I've logged a complaint about this at the Office of Fair Trading.

Argos are fantastic. What is the delivery cost? £4.95 for unlimited items? And collection is free! I bought a leather sofa from them because of this policy.:smashin:

Is the Samsung LE40M87BDX any good? Hmmmm, I do like the extra 2".
If you think £75 is extortionate then maybe you should look into delivering it back to them yourself by insured courier, I doubt you'll be able to do it for much less. Have you asked them why they want £75 when their paid delivery is only £29.

neilmcl, thanks for the reply. I'd like opinions either way. My first reaction is that £75 is extortionate. I've no idea really. I checked out courier companies and found collection charges varied between £30-£45 for a maximum weight of about 30-35 kilos. The TV is outside of this. I'm presuming that the DHL van will be exclusively for the collection. I'll check the van load on the day. My gripe is that the TV is defective, I'm paying for the return and cannot get a replacement.

I feel sure that they can't charge you anything for taking back a faulty item - you're not cancelling because you've changed your mind, they've sent you something which is not what they advertised.

clemenzina

neilmcl, thanks for the reply. I'd like opinions either way. My first reaction is that £75 is extortionate. I've no idea really. I checked out courier companies and found collection charges varied between £30-£45 for a maximum weight of about 30-35 kilos. The TV is outside of this. I'm presuming that the DHL van will be exclusively for the collection. I'll check the van load on the day. My gripe is that the TV is defective, I'm paying for the return and cannot get a replacement.
You've got to decide which way to go with this, either a, cancel under the distance selling regs or, b, chase up the fact that you believe it to be faulty. You can't do both I'm afraid and as you've seem to have gone down the cancellation route there's little more you can do now, other than to get the retailer to break down exactly what this £75 is for. If they are including some sort of cancellation or restocking fee then as you will already know they're not allowed to do so. Personally I would have gotten on to Sharp myself to discover what their policy is regarding your TV's dead pixels before making a decision.

I feel sure that they can't charge you anything for taking back a faulty item - you're not cancelling because you've changed your mind, they've sent you something which is not what they advertised.

clemenzina
But as he's already stated that's exactly what he has done.

Try Interlink Express to deliver it back, I would pay (through work) roughly around £15 to send 35kgs.

Personally I would have gotten on to Sharp myself to discover what their policy is regarding your TV's dead pixels before making a decision.

I may contact them anway. What is it with this feeling I have that they'll substitute it with a turkey!?

But as he's already stated that's exactly what he has done.
Yes, I can't understand why he would return under the 7-day rule rather than as a faulty item. And if he did return as a "changed my mind", then why did WebElec contact Sharp about the dead pixels?

clemenzina :confused:

Yes, I can't understand why he would return under the 7-day rule rather than as a faulty item. And if he did return as a "changed my mind", then why did WebElec contact Sharp about the dead pixels?

clemenzina :confused:

It took them 5 working days to get a response from Sharp in regard as to whether the screen was defective and needed replacement. In the meantime, the 7 days cancellation right was reaching expiry. I sent the cancellation on the 5th day. The response from Sharp came on the 6th day coinciding with the letter. The screen was deemed not faulty by Sharp, apparently, and they [www.webelectricals.co.uk] deemed likewise, so I could not return as a faulty item. I had no option other than to proceed with the cancellation because time was running out. They could have purposefully procrastinated and invented the whole story. But I'm not sure to what end that would have benefitted them. [Unless, of course, they knew without a doubt what Sharp's response would be from the get go.]

mate make a problem for your screen.
say to webelectronics that the backlight of your screen was very unbalenced or something like that.
they wont check, and even if they do, they would have already sent you your new TV and you just argue your case.
but i can guarantee they wont check... and since its then faulty you can get your replacement

Poor you, Nikki. I honestly hate saying this (honestly!) but it just shows that we need to get advice before we act in panic.

I think you should write to WebElec saying that you were forced to cancel the order because they refused to accept that the TV was faulty, which it was. I've seen "graded" LCDs on eBay with ONE missing pixel! They are not sold as "perfect".

Please at least contact your local Trading Standards, I think you're being done over :mad:

Or - write off the £75 and feel pleased that you've warned everyone here about Web Electricals :)

clemenzina

clemenzina, Thanks!

I will be writing to WebElectricals, including making them aware that I am publishing my experience of dealing with them to warn other consumers. I will have a chat with them today. I will also contact Trading Standards. But it's not just about £75, it's more the principal.

I get deja vu when reading the 5th review below. I am not alone.
http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/retailer/134/reviews

[How very odd. The reviews have been taken down.]

Hi i have the 46" version of the sharp which i purchased from Richer sounds afew week ago, When i inspected the tv it had approx 9 stuck pixels.

So i decided to phone sharp and ask what the tolerance level was on this size of screen and i was told by a sharp technician that an allowance of 4 and no more, I took mine back but obviously had no problems at richers they just swapped for another display no problem.

Maybe this is of some help:)

Hi i have the 46" version of the sharp which i purchased from Richer sounds afew week ago, When i inspected the tv it had approx 9 stuck pixels.

So i decided to phone sharp and ask what the tolerance level was on this size of screen and i was told by a sharp technician that an allowance of 4 and no more, I took mine back but obviously had no problems at richers they just swapped for another display no problem.

Maybe this is of some help:)

I just rang Sharp and they said 8. I then said one was in the centre and they then said that it would probably need to replaced. I arranged for a technician to come around to my house for next week. I then rang WE to delay the pickup and cancellation of the order to allow the TV to be checked by Sharp. They replied saying that if Sharp does say that it comes within their tolerances, ie not faulty, then that decision is final and I won't be able to continue with the cancellation. BUT if I allow WE to collect the TV and deal with Sharp directly then I can still continue with the cancellation even if Sharp deem the TV not faulty.

So Sharp tell me directly that the TV will most likely be replaced by them, but WE indirectly tell me Sharp will not but I will have to have the TV collected by WE and sent to Sharp and checked by them to confirm that.:suicide:

What do you make of that?

This article might be useful to people:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/Buying-HDTV-Online-Why-Its-Better.php

"If you've bought your HDTV through the internet, you're in luck, because this is where the DSR comes in handy - you can return the television within 7 working days without needing to give any reason... and get a full refund. Heck, for all you care you can say that your cat didn't like the HDTV and the online retailer will still have to refund your money (less shipping costs) to comply with the DSR."

If within 7 days you can return a TV for any reason, dead pixels or not.

Also:

"Any restocking charges are illegal under the Distance Selling Regulations 2000. Retailers can charge the return delivery costs, but only if they stipulated it in their terms and conditions beforehand. Most of the time you'll get back the initial price + delivery charge less return delivery charge from reputable retailers."

Felix

So... I wonder what terms & conditions Nikki (unknowingly, like most of us) signed up to when buying the TV?

I still think a call to Trading Standards is a good idea. S/he needs to talk to someone who knows, not who uses their 'common sense' like wot I'm doing ;). Cos just as I may be an ass, so may The Law, they say!

clemenzina

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom