Webcams - advice needed.....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Ian182, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    All,

Got Broadband before Xmas, so decided to pick up a cheap little webcam for use on MSN Messenger. Only cost about £15, but the quality is ropey.........(its only 352x288).

Been having a bit of a browse to see if there's anything better I can get, without spending a fortune. Is it true that 640x480 is the maximuim resolution you can get with a webcam ? That being the case, is there much point spending £50 on a flashy looking one, or will a £20 one with the same resolution produce much the same results ?

BTW I've got a digital camera, so not bothered about taking stills.

Are there are real bargains out there that people recommend ?

Cheers :)

Ian.

2. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I ended up with a second hand logitech one that doesn't have a great resolution (not sure what off the top of my head!). It'd be worth finding out what the max resolution MSN can take, as even 640x480 might be wasted, especially if you have a digicam as well.

If you find what msn can take or if a better webcam makes a huge improvement then please let us know :)

3. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could probably get better results just using your digital camera as a webcam instead. Most of them have a webcam mode, and you will be using a £200+ camera instead of a £15 webcam, so the quality will be as best as it gets really.