Webcam with zoom to relay video via laptop to other monitors

PeteG

Standard Member
What I'd like to do is connect a webcam to a laptop in my church, which would simply relay the image in full screen mode to several monitors and a projector (monitors already set up via a VGA splitter box and working fine).

The webcam needs to point to the front but zoomed in. Rotation and audio not required.

Any ideas about which webcam and if I would need additional software on Windows 7 appreciated.
Thanks.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
What do you mean by 'relay'? Transmit across the internet? Send to another computer by cable? Output to the VGA splitter connected to the laptop?

I can't give you much guidance on the camera, although I suspect you may end up looking elsewhere as webcams typically don't zoom - I would guess either security camera or a camera module designed to be integrated into other hardware.

PeteG

Standard Member
Thanks for responding. All I want to do is display the webcam in a zoomed in position on my latop (and additionally output onto monitors connected via VGA - that's the easy part). Windows XP automatically displayed a connected webcam via My Computer. Windows 7 does not.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You might do better with a USB capture card and video camera - maybe an old camcorder than a web cam. Web cams are designed for wide angle close up work and it sounds like you need a big zoom lens.

Your other route is an IP security camera, which can be controlled - zoomed and panned etc. via the control software. Probably more expensive though.

Whatever you put in, there will be some delay - latency through the system. This might be an entirely usable 1/4 second for a USB capture card, or 1 second or more for IP. It all depends upon the speed of your PC and associated hardware.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom