Webcam (and also separate microphone) audio problem

Bert Coules

Can anyone please suggest why my new (and excellent on the video side) Logitech C920 webcam should give me horribly boxy and bass-heavy sound, and why the separate (admittedly budget) Eivotor microphone I obtained to try to get round the problem should sound exactly the same, but my old, lower-then-bargain basement i.t.works webcam (hopeless visually) produces beautiful clear, clean, crisp audio?

This is with all three devices placed in essentially the same location. I've tried connecting via a USB hub (my preferred method) and directly to the computer (Windows 7 desktop PC) but it makes no difference to the sound quality. I'm mainly using Zoom and Skype.

Thanks.

Last edited:

jimscreechy

Plugging in a different Microphone doesn't mean that it is being used by the application. Have you double checked that the actual Mic you think is being used is the one that has been selected for Zoom or skype.

That is the first thing you should try... then report back to base.

Bert Coules

That's an excellent point, but I was careful to check, yes. I also unplugged the webcam and tried the new standalone mic as
the only audio device connected, and unfortunately the result was still the same: next to no high frequencies and a horrible overall boxy sound..

Last edited:

Bert Coules

Is there a way of putting an audio mixer across the Windows 7 audio input? I know about the built-in Windows application which controls the levels of individual audio components, but what about something more sophisticated incorporating frequency adjustments?

Last edited:

jimscreechy

How are you connecting each of these mics to your PC are they USB? I'm assuming the Most Excellent Logitech is at least?

Bert Coules

I just found this YouTube review of the Logitech C920 and the reviewer reports an audio problem ("as usual with Logitech webcams"). Watch and listen from 3 mins 30 secs.

jimscreechy

The audio from this clip does sound pretty bad, and when compared to the condenser mic its just highlighted. Is this how your audio sounds?

jimscreechy

To be honest, I find that sound unacceptable. I'd return it and get something else. I have a Microsoft lifecam Studio, which I've had for a few years now and its excellent. I also have a couple of HP wecams which though not so high res offer similarly good sound.

I'm a bit surprised by the poor quality of the audio from this device, because Logitech are one of my go-to products for most other things, and generally the quality is exceptional. THey seem to have dropped the ball on this one.

rpr

I use an external mixer for Skype which taes a feed from the PC, a feed from the seperate mic and then feeds back into the PC.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom