Web Interface v2.5 for Foxsat HDR

adrianf36

Hello Everyone,

I am pleased to announce that Version 2.5 of the Web Interface for the Foxsat HDR is now available for download.

Before I get going on what's new, a few words of thanks. Full credits are in the Release Note document included with this release which can be found on the documentation page to which there is a link at the bottom left of the home page on the new release.

Firstly, thanks to af123 (or af12345 as he's known here) for allowing us to take his original work on the Humax T2 HD(R) and port it to the Foxsat HDR. This release marks the end of this initial porting activity.

Next, huge thanks to the core team of raydon, REPASSAC and Partridge who have contributed vast amounts of their own time in order to make this release available to you - from intial investigation, to feasibility tests, to Alpha and Beta testing and finally to bug diagnosis and fixing. Without them this release would not have been possible - thank you!

Thanks also to David500 for sourcing missing and updated channel icons, for producing additional documentation in a suitable format for presentation via the Web Interface and for helping in the final stages of Beta testing.

Okay - what follows is a summary of this release. Full details are in the Release Note in the documentation page of the new release.
PLEASE take the time to read that before posting any questions - it contains more detail than this announcement post.

What's NOT in this Release
Sorry to start with the negative, but some of you may have read hints on these forums that we were hoping to bring you a web based version of the channel editor with this release. Unfortunately, due to continued problems experienced in testing we have removed this feature for the time being. We will all be taking a little break over Christmas but please rest assured that it's top of our lists for the New Year.

What IS in this Release

Functional Updates and Bug Fixes
As a direct response to your feedback a number of functional changes have been made to the EPG screens. It is now possible to configure the Channel List used for these screens from the screens themselves and to optionally remove the EPG Search module from one or both of these screens. You will also be able to set the number of hours of program schedule displayed in the EPG 7-day screen. All of these options can be configured in the 'Settings' screen:

epgsettings.png

Other Changes

1. Media browser now deletes empty folders automatically
  2. Media Browser Opt+/Rename option allows for correction of HMT files if recordings are moved between folders. Simply select Opt+/Rename and "OK". No need to change any of the file details any more.
  3. Updated channel icons and added channel icons for new channels
  4. Twonky and MediaTomb icons only displayed on home page if installed and running
  5. Added additional listenting port (777) for Mongoose - primarily aimed at those who want to enable remote access to their Foxsat HDR

New Features
Scheduled Recording View
The new 'Scheduled Events' screen will give you a view of the programme recordings you have set up:

scheduledevents.png

Schedule Backup/Restore
The ability to back up and restore the entire list of scheduled events:

backuprestore.png

You are advised to use this feature on a regular basis. This is particularly useful before/after performing a factory reset!

Web Interface Scheduling of Recordings
This release brings you the ability to schedule Freesat single program or series recordings via the Web Interface EPG screens. This can be done from the program details pop-up window in the EPG screens:

epgpopuppreschedule.png

Note that recordings can only be scheduled for programmes which have programme or series CRID identifiers (as shown in the pop-up window). Not all programmes on all channels have this information.

The scheduled recording mechanism will detect recording conflicts based on the number of satellite feeds to your Foxsat HDR. This must be configured in the 'Settings' page:

satfeedssetting.png

Once configured, conflicts are detected when the recording schedule request is made:

epgpopupconflict.png

Download Instructions
To download the upgrade, browse to the "package Management" page and click the "Update Package list from Internet" button. Once complete, select the "Upgrades" tab and install the Web Interface package. This will also upgrade the EPG package on your system.

NOTE: You will need to re-boot your Foxsat HDR after the installation is complete in order to pick up the setting for the new mongoose port and in order for the new documentation page to work.

The Housekeeper and Channel Editor packages will also appear in the upgrades page. There are no functional changes to these packages but they have been re-packaged to include user guides which will be visible in the documentation page of the Web Interface once installed.

Lastly, just one quick further plea to please read the release note before posting questions.

Okay, that's it. I hope you enjoy using this release. My regards to everyone on the forum and Merry Christmas.

Adrian.

nowster

One little bug is that the space free is 5% less than that actually available (due to the reserved-for-root allocation in ext3). I assume you're using "du -h /dev/hda3" for this information?

May I suggest parsing the number fields from "du /dev/hda3", then working out the true use percentage from them?

REPASSAC

Is it just me or is there a missing image for the Web Interface Scheduling of Recordings section?
I don't know if I understand you correctly but you schedule recordings via the epg, Click on the programme and you will see buttons on the popup.

raydon

One little bug is that the space free is 5% less than that actually available (due to the reserved-for-root allocation in ext3). I assume you're using "du -h /dev/hda3" for this information?
You assume wrong. We use df -h /dev/hda3.
May I suggest parsing the number fields from "du /dev/hda3", then working out the true use percentage from them?
The pie chart is accurate enough using the current method. After all, it's only an indication.
And if you won't say it, I will. Thanks Adrian for all of the effort and hard work you've put into this latest release of the web interface.

hillel

Standard Member
Thanks guys, this is absolutely fantastic. You have taken the HDR to a whole new level. It's now back out of retirement and sitting proudly beside my Sky HD box. Thanks a bunch, and happy Christmas. Hillel.

af12345

Standard Member
Nicely done : )
I can see the improved conflict detection making its way back to the Freeview web interface.

We recently implemented automatic schedule backups over there with the last 7 days being kept - you might want to look at that for the Sat too. On freeview, a retune erases the schedule so it may be more relevant there.

adrianf36

Nicely done : )
I can see the improved conflict detection making its way back to the Freeview web interface.
Thank you.

We recently implemented automatic schedule backups over there with the last 7 days being kept - you might want to look at that for the Sat too. On freeview, a retune erases the schedule so it may be more relevant there.
Same on the Foxsat for a factory reset. We did contemplate regular automated backups but wanted to get this release out so had to draw the line somewhere. As usual you got there first on the T2 so maybe a little more of your code we can plunder at some point ;)

Thanks for the excellent original Web Interface :clap:

GaseousClay

Thanks guys, cracking new addition to the custom firmware. :thumbsup:
It's like Christmas has come early. :D
Just a glitch to report here. The schedule page hasn't correctly reported the data for a radio recording. It lists as an incorrect channel number and obviously doesn't show the channel logo. However if the CRID links are clicked the correct info is listed. Not a biggy but just concerned that should the data be backed up and then restored whether the HDR will fail to make the scheduled recording.

schedule.jpg

PS. what are the numbers down the left most column? :confused:

adrianf36

Just a glitch to report here. The schedule page hasn't correctly reported the data for a radio recording. It lists as an incorrect channel number and obviously doesn't show the channel logo. However if the CRID links are clicked the correct info is listed. Not a biggy but just concerned that should the data be backed up and then restored whether the HDR will fail to make the scheduled recording.
No need to worry about backup/restore. The mechanism simply takes a point in time copy of the entire reserve.info file (where the schedule is held) and puts it somewhere safe. The restore likewise just copies this back. The WebIf does not apply any interpretation during this operation so the restore is exactly back to the point in time of the backup.

I'll have a look at the radio recording a little later and see what I can find out.

PS. what are the numbers down the left most column? :confused:
They represent the "slot number" in the reserve.info file where that schedule entry is stored. Probably not of interest to most users I'll grant you but useful for debugging purposes and required by the "Delete" function to delete the correct entry. Probably could have hidden them but not particularly intrusive in my humble opinion.

dodgyd

Wow, this must have taken tremendous effort, very well done!

I can't find the update though :confused: I have clicked on update package list as per instructions.

freesat.PNG

Thanks again.

adrianf36

I can't find the update though :confused: I have clicked on update package list as per instructions.
Do you have the log from the popup window you got after clicking on "Update package list from Internet"?

I would suspect internet connectivity issues as your WebIf will be going to the same repository for the upgrade as everyone elses.

Bail74

Standard Member
Guys I have been following this for ages, updated my box and it fab the remote record function is just what I have been wating for, thanks for all your hard work!!!!

What would really finish this off is a remote app for android!! :)

prsf1233

Standard Member
This is very cool, the remote scheduling is just what i was hoping for, the only problem is that the need for a restart after scheduling a recording. Is this something that can be overcome?

Regards
Graham

adrianf36

This is very cool, the remote scheduling is just what i was hoping for, the only problem is that the need for a restart after scheduling a recording. Is this something that can be overcome?
Not in the short or medium term I'm afraid. The primary Humax process (called 'settop') manages all of the Humax operations. It reads the recording reservation list at boot time.

Obviously if you set a recording using the Humax remote you are doing this via the settop process itself and so the list is updated dynamically. There is no known way of externally "kicking" this process once it is running to get it to re-read the recording schedule like it does at boot time.

Sorry.

dodgyd

Do you have the log from the popup window you got after clicking on "Update package list from Internet"?

I would suspect internet connectivity issues as your WebIf will be going to the same repository for the upgrade as everyone elses.

Here you go

Code:
opkg update
Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/Packages.gz.
Inflating http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /opt/var/opkg/base.
Updating package meta information
Done.

raydon

Are you using IE9 as your browser ? If so, check out the webif notes about Internet Explorer under the "Installed" tab. You may need to refresh the page.

Last edited:

TJT1

Absolutely marvelous. Well done and thank you. Excellent new features. There's the pos.

Now a niggly neg. On the new 'Sheduled Events' page, there's a message that says 'Click on the CRID to view episodes', but nowhere else is 'CRID' mentioned to make it obvious where to click. I found that it was actually the link under in the 'Next Events' column. Perhaps this could be a little clearer in the next version for us technophobes who do not understand the jargon?

Another little query. On the Package Management Upgrades list, it shows Housekeeper 3.1 as installed and no ver no in the available col. (web i/f had 2.1 and 2.5 respectively before I upgraded) I have Housheeper 3.1 showing as installed on the 'Installed' page, so why is it still showing on the 'Upgrades' page with no upgrade version number?
Thanks again, super product.

raydon

. On the Package Management Upgrades list, it shows Housekeeper 3.1 as installed and no ver no in the available col. (web i/f had 2.1 and 2.5 respectively before I upgraded) I have Housheeper 3.1 showing as installed on the 'Installed' page, so why is it still showing on the 'Upgrades' page with no upgrade version number?
Thanks again, super product.
If it's in the "Upgrades" tab then it's upgradeable. Don't worry about the version number. It will show correctly as 3.1-1 once installed.
From Adrian's initial post
The Housekeeper and Channel Editor packages will also appear in the upgrades page. There are no functional changes to these packages but they have been re-packaged to include user guides which will be visible in the documentation page of the Web Interface once installed.

Last edited:

JIMMYBO

Many thanks to all involved for this brilliant update :cool:

And you guys still haven't been offered a job by Humax? :facepalm:

It must mean that they already have some brilliant programmers working for them :confused:
Only thing is, where are the results of their efforts for the last few years?
Still in "development"? :rolleyes:

imo the restart after a new remote recording schedule is acceptable because of the banner/header reminder when you forget to do it. :smashin:

dodgyd

I really hate to be a burden, and I have no expectation of a fix or even a rapid response. But what could be causing my EPG and now/next pages to be empty? I've rebooted. If I search the EPG, I only get shows in the timeframe up to the 30th October and nothing after.

epg.PNG

adrianf36

dodgyd,

Yor EPG data is way out of date - October 23rd!

Do you have Telnet or FTP installed?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published