Web enabled discs and EP35

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jwlawler, Feb 8, 2009.

1. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I watched Eastern Promises earlier. I noticed that it offered "web enabled features", so since the player is near the broadband router I connected it. Unfortunately, the web enabled feature seems to be to turn the picture black and the sound silent. The player claimed to be playing the disc but it was sending no signal. Other discs worked OK Finally, after much confusion, I pulled the ethernet cable out and it started working again.

I have been waiting to try BD Live but not expecting much of it (I have the player but no disc with BD Live yet) but it seems that HD Live is definitely not worth bothering with.

Has anyone else tried this amazing feature? With this disc or any other?

The player is already on firmware 4.0 and I hear that there will be no more so I guess that there is no point in this connection.

2. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If I change the network settings from DHCP to a fixed IP address, the disc will play but the web enabled features still fail saying that I am not connected to the internet. However, the router does report that the player is connected and it even responds to ping. It is not obvious why the fixed IP address made a difference since the player appeared to be connected in either case.

On the positive side, by specifying that there is an NTP server, the player does not seem to request the time when it is switched on. I wonder if this is enough to justify the network connection.

3. Jase Winter

Jase Winter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    They have probably closed down their servers for HD DVD online content, it was nearly a year ago that tosh pulled the plug on the format. I got eastern promises when it was released and the web enabled content did work at the time, nothing special though.

4. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That would seem likely but since it was easy, I thought that it could be a bit of fun. They have been quite good about firmware support so I thought that there was a chance that this would have been left on as well.

5. rojgelf

rojgelf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Live content will be the studios not toshiba.

6. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Good point. The studios probably lost interest more rapidly than Toshiba.

7. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    Yep... I'd say so ;) :D

8. rojgelf

rojgelf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Except turning off a web service requires a decison, whereas as simply leaving it there until the server dies or is updgraded requires no decision and is therefore normally what happens. It was probably a temporary blip.

9. Jase Winter

Jase Winter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    Yeah but leaving a server running for a dead format cost money which would probably force a decision! :D

10. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Unfortunately, it was a borrowed disc that has been returned so I cannot easily try again later. I don't recall noticing this feature on any of the discs that I own but I will watch out for it and try the next time that I see it. For the moment, I am leaving the player connected to the internet. Partly because it is less work to leave the cable there than to take it out but also because of the minor benefit of preventing the time request when the player is turned on.

11. rojgelf

rojgelf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Believe me I work in this area and it doesn't work like that. Servers only get switched off when they are relocated (when people say what was this for anyway?), upgraded (OS) or die.

12. rojgelf

rojgelf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    I think transformers and 300 have some web features on, as does heroes.

13. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks, I have two of those, I will have a look.

14. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I could not find anything on 300. There were some extras called "Webisodes" but they appeared to work even without a connection. Maybe I did not go deep enough into them.

Transformers did work. It offered a download which we took. This added some "heads up" icons to the film such as a GPS and robot status icons. It only amused us for a couple of minutes but that was longer than the only example of BD Live (Iron Man) that I have seen so far.

Were does the EP35 store the downloaded material? My Panasonic BD35 BluRay player needs an SD card to use BD Live but there is no such requirement for the EP35. How much and what sort of memory is in there?

We used to use the XBOX add on to play HD DVDs and I don't remember noticing these web enabled features. Did it not support them or did we just fail to notice (not unlikely since I don't generally bother with extras)?

15. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    The EP35 has built in storage.. More convienient but also limited of course.

The Xbox addon uses the hard drive on the Xbox I believe. :smashin:

16. rojgelf

rojgelf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    correct, you can see the storage via the menu, and clear it if necessary. I need to do that when watching the kingpom, I have to delete the uiniversal stored data or disc deosn't finish loading.

17. Jase Winter

Jase Winter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    I'm pretty certain (from back when I used the drive as my player) the add on drive has built in memory, as there were those with the old 'core' system that had no HDD or memory stick before the 'arcade' that came with a memory stick.

I'm 99% sure as I had to delete some data from it to get disc 2 of heroes to actually load. I have an elite and all HD DVD data seemed to get stored on the drives memory not the HDD.

18. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    Jase, you're right.. My mistake.

It's been a while :D

The memory is within the drive, but accessed through the normal 'memory management' in the Xbox settings.. I remember having to delete them all quiet often to get titles to play for a second time, when HD-DVD first started over here..

19. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    The last time I looked the web features on my T2 Steelbook German edition worked still. It had trailers and stuff.