Web browser Auto-Refresh TV?

Tosaf

Novice Member
Hi everyone!

As the experts of TV world, i need your help:

I need to buy 4 Tvs in order to display a different Excel file on each with ability to auto-refresh the file data once changed on file.
Upon my research there are few different solutions, many paid, and the free ones too complicated to execute and maintain properly.

I embedded the Excel file in a website that auto refreshes the info every 5 minutes.
The idea is to show each Excel as a website using each Tvs web browser, but i have no clue what tvs (android, webos etc..) have the ability to keep the browser auto-refreshed all the time so no one needs to manually refresh the website every excel reentry.
I need it to stay On indefinitely.

I am looking for 4 x 40" cheap tvs.

Unless you guys know a TV with the ability to download an app to show the excel file with live update function.

Please help.

Dodgexander

Smart TV web browsing is very basic. Your best bet would probably be trying an Android smart TV model but I'm not sure they are sold at 40". You'll probably have to go for a 43".

I can't really help you with your specific need, but if the website itself requests a refresh I see no reason Chrome browser on Android TV wouldn't act the same as on a smartphone.

All TVs will stay on indefinitely if you don't set any power saving sleep timers.

Sony are your best bet if you need good viewing angles. Otherwise the cheap 43" models from Hisense running android like the H55 or H65 (latter if you want UHD) also run Android.

Android TVs have the added bonus of being able to side-load unofficial apps, for example an app you find works on a phone, but isn't on the Android TV store.

If you choose a different system like WebOS I'm not sure the browsers will be as feature full or comply to the same standards as Android will, so no clue how that will work out. Some websites may not display properly.

Tosaf

Novice Member
Thank you for your reply,

I don’t mind if Tv screen will be bigger, but in Tv world things that should be like browser auto refresh, are usually not there. Tv browser version is usually different and limited.

I have an LG e8 tv, and the browser there doesn’t auto update indefinitely.

Usually even with power saving mode, the TVs stay on, but the display data kind of falls asleep..

The thing is that I can not just buy TVs thinking how they should perform, but need to know for sure ahead of a time.

Can you guys check on your TVs if the browser keeps auto refreshing the displayed website even after at least an hour, and let me know your TVs model, so I’ll buy a comparable tv?

Thanks a lot.

Dodgexander

Usually even with power saving mode, the TVs stay on, but the display data kind of falls asleep..
This is an OLED thing and doesn't apply to LCD TVs.

Can you guys check on your TVs if the browser keeps auto refreshing the displayed website even after at least an hour, and let me know your TVs model, so I’ll buy a comparable tv?
I would by my Roku TV doesn't have a browser.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are asking, does the website you have the excel document request a refresh from the browser, or are you wanting a browser to request a refresh itself?

If the latter you're going to be out of luck, maybe sideloading Kiwi browser on a Android TV will let you install a Chrome extension like this: Easy Auto Refresh

If the former, I don't think you'll have a problem with Android TVs because the browser releases won't be too different from smartphones. Hopefully someone can test for you but if you are forced to buy without knowing beforehand you can always buy from a reputable store with a good return policy.

Perhaps a PC with a 4x monitor output will be better and give you more flexibility to use Windows/Linux for your specific need.

Tosaf

Novice Member
What I’m asking is:

I need the TVs to function as virtual whiteboard to display stats in one of the offices.

If connected straight to the pc, then the data entry will be limited to that specific pc.

Once I add data to the excel file, usually it doesn’t auto update elsewhere if the page wasn’t refreshed.
The best way to test it is to load let’s say News website on tv and on a pc/phone.
News websites usually update very often.
Then to verify if updated news entry that show on a pc, reflecting on the tv without touching the remote every time there is a new update.

Thank you.

Dodgexander

If connected straight to the pc, then the data entry will be limited to that specific pc.
No, you'd use web browsers on that PC that auto refresh.

Chrome on Android should support it fine just the same as the Android phones do, but I can't test it as I don't own an Android TV. Maybe someone else can.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Interesting question. My best bet would as Dodge says would at least be Android TV. However even on Android most websites do not auto update however some do e.g. Airport arrivals/departure boards, rail train progress /arrival info etc. So the technology is out there but is probably not within the scope of this TV orientated group of subforums.
You may get more help by posting on another subforum here.

Fully appreciate your problem as was involved with providing auto updating displays in several fairly distant locations from VAX VMS system in 1980's.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

I was trying to understand the exact implementation of the OPs plan. Still not entirely sure what he's planning to do but if it just works the same as say google docs/bbc news etc refreshes then it won't be any different on chrome browser on Android to PC.

I think the safest thing though is to use a dedicated PC for the purpose, since then you have much more control. PCs are often designed with this kind of usage in mind, whereas a smart TV web browsing is very much an after thought.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Hi Dodge - basically agree but whilst this AVForums website seems to update on my Windows PC it does not on my Android phone and tablet. This is with the exception of the said airport and certain other time critical website updates (via browser not Apps). As also said there are gurus on another area of this forum who may provide a solution.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

I think a lot just depends on the website, there's websites that can trigger a browser refresh and websites that just automatically update. If the OP uses Google sheets I think it will auto-update the last input automatically using the google sheet app/website though. May be another reason to go Android because then you can sideload apps like Google Sheets/Excel.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom