Wearable displays

Flash80

Did anyone see the gadget show on Monday, i was intrigued about the glasess they used when putting together the home made rollercoaster ( iWear AV920). It then got me to thinking, would these glasses be any good for gaming. At the moment i have a 42inch tv so to be any use the glasses would have to produce a seriously large image. Does anyone know of any glasses out there that would give you the feeling of actually being in a game...

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
i imagine they would be quite annoying for gaming

but it would be good to try them

the gadget show on mon was interesting

Flash80

I agree that the ones out there at the moment may not be the best or most comfortable but maybe a couple of years time there might be something out there for us gamers.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
ye, it will be one of those things that will evolve and be proven

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Did anyone see the gadget show on Monday, i was intrigued about the glasess they used when putting together the home made rollercoaster ( iWear AV920). It then got me to thinking, would these glasses be any good for gaming. At the moment i have a 42inch tv so to be any use the glasses would have to produce a seriously large image. Does anyone know of any glasses out there that would give you the feeling of actually being in a game...

i had a pair of olympus eyetrek, top of the range, and they were utter ****, uncomfy, sore heads, middling to poor sound, and the heat on the bridge of your nose was incredible, and coupled with the low resolution( 640x480 ), they performed really poorly.
these dont look that much better, same resolution, and composite too.
a novelty indeed, but not for gaming, i would say.

Stinja

Distinguished Member
i had a pair of olympus eyetrek, top of the range, and they were utter ****, uncomfy, sore heads, middling to poor sound, and the heat on the bridge of your nose was incredible, and coupled with the low resolution( 640x480 ), they performed really poorly.
:rotfl: I had some of those:

I think they were fine for the job i used them for - i wasnt trying to watch epic cinematic movies, but for playing SD PS2 games they were fine. Worse than a CRT? Totally, but i could take them on holiday and play games quietly in the evenings or whatever (yes i am that much of a geek).

these dont look that much better, same resolution, and composite too.
a novelty indeed, but not for gaming, i would say.
I do agree the modern versions dont seem to have pushed things along very far at all. Maybe thats due to technical reasons, but given how good TV tech is i'd never buy a pair of wearable displays till they did something cool; like provide see-thru HUD for walking about and surfing.

jms_uk

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
I think they were fine for the job i used them for - i wasnt trying to watch epic cinematic movies, but for playing SD PS2 games they were fine. Worse than a CRT? Totally, but i could take them on holiday and play games quietly in the evenings or whatever (yes i am that much of a geek).

i can remember playing shadow of the collossus and ico on them,with the ps2, and being totally blown away by the scale of it all, then just getting the burning sensation on the nose, and the abrupt safety cutoff of the olympus, before it either went into meltdown, or exploded in my eyes, due to the 2 hour, 15 minute cutoff "safety feature"...:rotfl::rotfl:

mcfaddenben

Standard Member
Alienware do a curved gaming screen which is pretty cool.

Although I cant find it on there site now.

two-440.jpg

Last edited:

Stinja

Distinguished Member
Alienware do a curved gaming screen which is pretty cool.
Dosent look super wearable though...

i can remember playing shadow of the collossus and ico on them (EyeTrek),with the ps2, and being totally blown away by the scale of it all, then just getting the burning sensation on the nose, and the abrupt safety cutoff of the olympus, before it either went into meltdown, or exploded in my eyes, due to the 2 hour, 15 minute cutoff "safety feature"...:rotfl::rotfl:
Oh yeah the safety warnings :rotfl: probably because the resolution did weird things to your eyes, i'm sure i got a little trippy flicking the box on/off after the safety warning for a "double session".

I'm hoping something like this comes along: Wearable Head-Up Displays (HUD) comming! - Digital In, Analog Out

Less a device for gaming/movies, and more to have a screen for information transfer (phone, laptop, sat nav etc) while on the move.

Stinja

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 Review, Apple Lossless & Dolby Atmos @ no cost, Sennheiser IE900 review + more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom