Weak Subwoofer Sound from Big Subwoofer

uwbse09

Novice Member
Good Morning All,

I am brand new here and I apologize if I've posted in the wrong place. Here is my first post and question.

I recently set up a new home theatre system. I have an Atlantic Technology 6200 speaker system with an Atlantic Technology 642 SB subwoofer. I am using an entry-level receiver (Yamaha RX-V373) from my previous system at the moment because the new receiver (Yamaha RX-A2) is backordered at the moment. The sound from the 5 speaker channels is quite impressive; it is rich and loud even with that receiver. However, the sound from the subwoofer is extremely low. That subwoofer should make the windows rattle when it's working properly. Moving the subwoofer gain all the way to maximum is the only way to get some faint bass from it. I have gone into and tweaked all the settings in the receiver (speaker output level, speaker size, speaker distance, different sound programs/modes) with no luck. I've also tried adjusting all the switches on the back of the unit, no joy. Moving the low-pass knob all the way up to ~140 Hz gives a very modest improvement.

My question is, is the low sub output simply because of a weak signal from the receiver? The subwoofer has a built-in 300 watt amplifier, so it doesn't make sense to me that it would be a power deficit from the receiver. I am, however, pretty much brand new to the home theater & AV world.

Finally, does anyone have some recommendations of different receiver models to use? I am open to suggestions and hoping to be in the $500-$1000 price point neighborhood.

Thanks in advance for any input! I'm happy to be here in the community! Have a great day everyone!

Harkon321

Are speakers set to small? To ensure low frequency is being passed to the subwoofer.

Is the bass low everywhere or just where you're sat? Placement can make a huge difference.

uwbse09

Novice Member
Hello! Thanks so much for the quick reply.

The speakers are actually set to large right now, I can try changing them tonight to small. Thank you for the suggestion.

The bass is low everywhere. The sub is in an ideal location, or at least I believe it to be. It is about 7-9 feet away from the prime viewing area. It is sitting on a carpeted floor and is inside of an open cubby in a large pine wood shelving unit, which I would imagine may even enhance the sound a bit. Again, I may be totally off base there.

Harkon321

If speakers are set to large, then all frequencies get sent to the speakers. That may be your issue.

If not try physically moving the sub or move around the room yourself (or both) and see if that makes any difference. I moved a sub from rear to front and it was rubbish, despite being a better sub. You get things called room modes and you can be sat in a 'null' and the bass just disappears.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Good Morning All,

I am brand new here and I apologize if I've posted in the wrong place. Here is my first post and question.

I recently set up a new home theatre system. I have an Atlantic Technology 6200 speaker system with an Atlantic Technology 642 SB subwoofer. I am using an entry-level receiver (Yamaha RX-V373) from my previous system at the moment because the new receiver (Yamaha RX-A2) is backordered at the moment. The sound from the 5 speaker channels is quite impressive; it is rich and loud even with that receiver. However, the sound from the subwoofer is extremely low. That subwoofer should make the windows rattle when it's working properly. Moving the subwoofer gain all the way to maximum is the only way to get some faint bass from it. I have gone into and tweaked all the settings in the receiver (speaker output level, speaker size, speaker distance, different sound programs/modes) with no luck. I've also tried adjusting all the switches on the back of the unit, no joy. Moving the low-pass knob all the way up to ~140 Hz gives a very modest improvement.

My question is, is the low sub output simply because of a weak signal from the receiver? The subwoofer has a built-in 300 watt amplifier, so it doesn't make sense to me that it would be a power deficit from the receiver. I am, however, pretty much brand new to the home theater & AV world.

Finally, does anyone have some recommendations of different receiver models to use? I am open to suggestions and hoping to be in the $500-$1000 price point neighborhood.

Thanks in advance for any input! I'm happy to be here in the community! Have a great day everyone!
That looks very well made heavy sealed subwoofer which has got lot of praise how good it sounded, 1200$ product back in the day. THX Select approved so meets the performance criteria for 2000cuft room. In-room response down to 20hz. If you don´t have large room this should be quite enjoyable.

You need to run YPAO setup again and make sure you have set from Yamaha menu: Adaptive DRC off, Extra Bass off check all silly features that they are off. Let`s go step by step so you don`t break anything running the sub max volume cause it´s going to come alive when you change speaker sizes to Small, assuming you heard test tones when you ran YPAO = it`s working.. Behind your sub:

• Subwoofer cable from Yamaha sub pre out to your subwoofers "L/Mono"
  • Lowpass switch turn this to Bypass
  • Power switch (not the main power) to Always On, you can later turn this to Auto but not yet
  • Phase switch to Normal
  • Lowpass knob isn`t in use so doesn´t matter where it points
  • It has the volume/gain knob at the front, turn it so the arrow points 12clock (50%). Another option is the THX fixed one where there is mark, but let´s try this way first so turn it to half way.

- As Harkon said the placement of woofer is important and don´t sit dead middle or against rear wall in your room if possible. Atlantic Technology and almost all manufacturers recommends front corner (furthest from any openings) to start with so if this is possible then go with this or 1/4 front wall position.
" The closer the subwoofer is placed to a wall and especially a corner, the more and deeper the bass response you will hear. However, in some rooms, corner placement can produce a "one note" boomy effect. Under such circumstances the subwoofer may work better away from the corner. Experiment to find the best position in your room"

- After you have made sure knobs are set correct, subwoofer is placed ideally then you have to find your YPAO mic. Hopefully you have tripod, camera stand/boor arm mic stand. Place the mic at seated ear height using some stand in the middle seat (opposite to tv), if the couch is against rear wall then push the mic+stand forward slightly. Get away from mic/speakers and make room totally silent when you run it. Then run YPAO which takes few minutes. After that check did you get any errors and especially check in the speakers, levels menu "subwoofer level" that it ain´t -10db.

- Finally go to menu speakers, crossovers and bump them up to 80hz if they are set lower than that. That Yamaha is locked to one global setting for all speakers and you don´t want to run lower than 80hz with the cheap receiver. Then change speaker size from Large to Small.

Report back how it sounds!

PS. Denon X3700H / Marantz SR6015 (or 6014) if you are in hurry to buy new receiver! If you want Yamaha, wait couple months as there will be new models coming out soon. RX-A4A looks great if you are fine with 7.2 model. It should have better amplification, more connections, better room correction system etc. I think i saw 1300$ price in BestBuy (link was taken out).

uwbse09

Novice Member
Gasp,

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me and write so much helpful information. I am so grateful. Yes, the Atlantic Technology hardware is not brand new but the quality is exceptional. It is actually a pretty small room, maybe 12' x 20' x 7', so once I get these bugs ironed out the sound from this 5.1 system should be exquisite.

Based on yours and Harkon's responses, the issue that immediately jumps out to me is that I have the speaker size set to large and the extra bass set to on. I will address that tonight. My girlfriend and I just purchased and moved into a new home, hence the new theater. I think I know where my YPAO mic is - you know how it is after moving, things are stashed everywhere. I will track it down and run the program.

Thank you again guys, I'll report back soon! Take care

- James

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom