Question Weak satellite signal

algray

Standard Member
Reaction score
I live in a block of apartments with a communal satellite dish. The Freesat box picks up all the channels when plugged in to a 1m long cable, but I wanted to move the tv to the other side of the room so I bought a 7m WF100 cable but now I no longer get some channels due to "no satellite signal". I've lost channels like BBC1 and Channel 4 but I can use some of the regional BBC1s and Channel 4 HD.

My question is would an amplifier help? If so which type?

7m would / should not make that much difference

Try it back on the short lead
If that's OK then check the new lead for faults .. look for tiny copper wires in the f connectors / make sure the connection is ok (continuity) and the outer screen is 100%

You can cause damage with a short but usually there is short circuit protection

Otherwise look for interference eg a DECT phone / modem etc

Unlikely with WF100 compared to the thin CT63 shotgun cable but check you haven't bent the centre 'pin' over when inserting into the socket(s) and it is making a poor connection.
:lesson:easily done with the thin stuff I found:facepalm:

I thought I'd try a different WF100 cable - pretty much the same result, except if I wait 5-10 minutes BBC1 or C4 suddenly kick in. (I'd left the TV on with the "No satellite signal" on screen when it just started working on its own)

However, the reception is temporary, as when I turn everything off and wait a bit I end up back with the no signal message.

I also took one of the 90 degree elbow things that were aesthetically pleasant, but perhaps causing some loss of signal.

Could be you're commnal system is so bad, just another few inches on a coax is enough to tip it over the threshold.. must admit I've seen so many badly installed it might not be so out of the ball park.

Next.. list a few more of the channels you do get and don' get .. it might help to spot an issue eg.. no voltage passing, on a single dish that would stop all channels but on an IRS it could be powered so might default to say just channels on vertical polarisation (they are transmitted/ received either vertical or horizontal and the receiver uses 13v for V & 18v for H )

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom