Weak battery?

gamingboy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Got a car that has only been used once in the last 10 days. No lights left on. Went to start it and had to jump start it. Went for a half hour drive to get it up to temp and up to speed and now it starts by itself. Would the cold weather be enough to do that without use? Or am I right to suspect that the battery is weak and on its way out?

Car, age of battery, normal length of journey etc?

02 Astra 1.7dti. Battery has to be at least three years old. We purchased the car three years ago. So it's probably older than that. It's the Vauxhall battery meant for the car, correct spec.

I suspect it's old age.

It used to be used daily on the M25 for the last year 90 mile return trip to work. Now it's not needed.

It may be that the colder weather is causing this...

It also depends on what car you drive. My neighbor has a 500cl Merc and tells me in the very cold weather, a week is enough to drain the battery, because of all the electronics thats trickle down the battery.
When started and warmed up, alternator charges the battery and he's all set for another week or so...
Its worse (so he advises me) over the colder months..

Drive into Halfords to get a free battery / alternator check. If needed, get one from elsewhere :D

So the battery is potentially eleven years old. If so it's done well. Order on line from Euro Car Parts use discount code 'websaver20', collect or have it delivered. Discount code cannot be used over the counter in their shops.

Hi All,

Got a car that has only been used once in the last 10 days. No lights left on. Went to start it and had to jump start it. Went for a half hour drive to get it up to temp and up to speed and now it starts by itself. Would the cold weather be enough to do that without use? Or am I right to suspect that the battery is weak and on its way out?

Cold weather will make a huge difference, any weakness will be exposed by the low temperatures.

Charge up your battery and see how it behaves afterwards.It it lets you down after a charge then replace it.

If you are taking it for a test make sure the battery is fully charged as a flat battery or one with a low charge will give a false reading.

My wife's car gave up the ghost this morning and refused to start. Fortunately I'd ordered a new battery for it last week, unfortunately I hadn't got around to fitting it over the weekend :facepalm:

So the battery is potentially eleven years old. If so it's done well. Order on line from Euro Car Parts use discount code 'websaver20', collect or have it delivered. Discount code cannot be used over the counter in their shops.

Thanks. With that code I get the battery for £60. Is that a permanent offer they do?

ForumRunner_20130312_194550.png

If the car is not being used much THESE are handy to have for keeping the battery in peak condition.

You can also do better price with battery HERE £46.95 3 year warranty.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Been using something similar to This from Maplins on my golf for a few years now and the car, which is perhaps used 2-3 times a month starts every time.

Will add that I bought a good quality battery at the same time.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom