We were soldiers

S

Sgt.Colon

Help please.

Can you guys give me your comments on this movie. I keep adding it to my basket and then removing it and I really cannot decide whether or not to buy it. Is it any good or is it just sentimental American drivel?

Thanks.

Geezer

Novice Member
I watched it a few months ago, and found it to be very good. The action scenes are very well shot. Second best war film i saw last year. Get it mate its good.

(needed to make a post it was freaking me out being on 666 posts)

James45

Standard Member
It's like a Black Hawk Down for the first battle in Vietnam with the added bonus of a grumpy Sam Elliot.
I liked it. Really nasty in places, one stand out "uugh" moment. DDDhouse have it cheap without extras, but it may be worth spending a couple of extra quid to get a copy with the deleted scenes, one of which almost stole the whole show.

Geezer

Novice Member
I really liked black hawk down, was going to say we were soldiers was my fave but couldnt decide.

S

Sgt.Colon

So should I also pick up Black Hawk Down then? I did watch Behind Enemy Lines and enjoyed the film right up until the end and that just spoiled it :rolleyes:

James45

Standard Member
It was disgusting wasn't it....:eek:

I liked behind enemy lines which was more of a film than both BHD and WWS, these have an almost documentary feel to them and both place great importance on realism in the combat scenes. BHD is worth getting as well.

J

juboy

It's an odd little film in that it marries some overt sentimentality with some ultra-harsh war scenes. Some of the set piece battle scenes are stunningly executed.

There's some serious flag waving going on and it's not exactly sensitive in it's portrayal of the 'enemy' BUT it is a damn watchable and enjoyable film.

One of the few DVDs I've watched more than twice, although I'm still not entirely sure why.

To follow on from James45's comments, the DDDhouse R3 version does lose extras but does include a DTS track, if that matters to you. However, it seems, as though the DTS track is 5.1 and not the 6.1/EX version you get with the R1 DD track.

Geezer

Novice Member
I also enjoyed behind enemy lines, its just a no brainer sit and watch. BHD and we were soldiers are far more enjoyable in my opinion. We were soldiers is probably easier to watch

S

Squirrel God

I wasn't going to buy We Were Soldiers because of Mel Gibson. But having seen him in Signs last night, he didn't bug me one bit. In fact, I actually think he turned in a fab performance and it was nice to finally see a totally different character from him. So I'm quite interested in We Were Soldiers now :D

B

bob007

I enjoyed We Were soldiers more than Saving that Ryan guy.

Says on the cover "Makes SPR look like Dads Army", tend to agree there.

Definitely one for the collection. ;)

S

Sgt.Colon

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll go and order it now along with BDH.

James I'm going to get BDH cos you reccommended it first, so if it's a load of pap I'll be coming round to yours to collect the price of the DVD :D

sparkymarky

good film in imo.

J

juboy

Originally posted by Squirrel God
I wasn't going to buy We Were Soldiers because of Mel Gibson. But having seen him in Signs last night, he didn't bug me one bit. In fact, I actually think he turned in a fab performance and it was nice to finally see a totally different character from him.
I agree, he was good in both those films... almost forgot it was him, apart from the fact he still does that idiosyncratic little jerky head motion he always does.

S

Squirrel God

M. Night Shyamalan doesn't make a guest appearance in We Were Soldiers as well does he? :D

S

Sgt.Colon

Did you guys find Signs funny? as in haha funny? I thought it was quite an amusing film in parts

S

Squirrel God

I was laughing one minute and jumping out of my skin the next! Never known a film to be like that before! Excellent stuff :)

briandzo

Standard Member
War films are at the forefront of my Dvd collection.
And personally im not that fussed about
we were soldiers.

its ok but not in the same league as others.

im not sure how many of you have seen
'stalingrad'
but this is worth a watch.
well made and based on fact.
its english dubbed though as its a german production.

made by the same guy who made
'das boot' another good dvd worth buying.

also if war basedf films is your thing
save up and get 'band of brothers'
a well made brilliant production.

that said i will be buying my own copy
of we were soldiers at some stage
it just wont get watched as much as the others

the impact just wasnt there for me.

thanks

Brian....

Geezer

Novice Member
Originally posted by Sgt.Colon
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll go and order it now along with BDH.

James I'm going to get BDH cos you reccommended it first, so if it's a load of pap I'll be coming round to yours to collect the price of the DVD :D

BDH Black Down Hawk :p sorry couldnt resist. Both very good films BHD drags on a bit, but it was one of my favourite films of the year. Im sure you will enjoy both

briandzo

Standard Member
War films are at the forefront of my Dvd collection.
And personally im not that fussed about
we were soldiers.

its ok but not in the same league as others.

im not sure how many of you have seen
'stalingrad'
but this is worth a watch.
well made and based on fact.
its english dubbed though as its a german production.

made by the same guy who made
'das boot' another good dvd worth buying.

also if war basedf films is your thing
save up and get 'band of brothers'
a well made brilliant production.

that said i will be buying my own copy
of we were soldiers at some stage
it just wont get watched as much as the others

the impact just wasnt there for me.

thanks

Brian....

S

Sgt.Colon

Stalingard

Thanks for that. That was also one I had seen. I hope Play still have it on special :)

B

bobbles

I thought BHD was a lot better than We Were Soldiers

Both are tons better than Windtalkers i might add (IMO)

Mel's second in command in WWS is a top bloke, has some classic lines.

B

bobbles

By the way Sarge did you know someone has you as their background on their desktop

:eek:

:D