We were soldiers, sound prob ?

karkus30

Ex Member
Reaction score
Bought this tonight, on the strength of the reviews on this Forum. Phew Im exhausted, wife was in tears at the end. Nice to see all sides represented for a change and with a respectful approach.
Private Ryan may have gone some way to unglamourising war, but this went a step further. Great Film

Only complaint was the indistinct speech from the leading characters, anyone else have a problem with this:confused:

and my poor sub was cracking and clipping all the way through.
Thats a new system for Xmas then:) :)

I also noticed the speach was a bit low on my region 1 version.
I just turned the center channel up 2db and that did the trick.
I agree, great movie.

I must concur here. Despite all the amazing effects that really tested the dynamics of your system, the speech level was ear-strainingly quiet - I estimate around 2-4db out.

Of course turning the centre channel up 4 dB can causes a complete break in soundstage as this channell not only deals with just merely vocals. Settled for a 2db gain in the end and put up with it.

I must say that low volume speech on movies really makes me mad. There is nothing more important then speech and yet they still churn out discs with low speech levels. :mad:

It would appear that the R2 version does not include the DD EX soundtrack, can anyone who's actually seen/heard the R2 version confirm this please?

I rented the R2 version today and am going to watch it tonight and don't know whether to watch it in straight DD 5.1 or through my Denon 2802's version of EX (the 6.1 matrixed option).

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Juboy,

Ill check tonight - at work now. Ill give you shout early tomorrow morning unless someone else has answered your question.

Brad

I think that the EX was just missed off the packaging, which is pretty common. I am almost certain that if it had an EX soundtrack in the cinema release that it's brought over into the DVD soundtrack by the conversion process by default. I'd watch it in EX regardless as even some normal 5.1 films sound good with it turned on.:)

Originally posted by kevb
I am almost certain that if it had an EX soundtrack in the cinema release that it's brought over into the DVD soundtrack by the conversion process by default. I'd watch it in EX regardless as even some normal 5.1 films sound good with it turned on.:)

I think you're right Kevb, I always understood that any DD 5.1 soundtrack that was EX in it's cinematic form was the same in DVD form.

Thanks for your replies, I think I'll watch it with the 6.1 matrixing turned on :)

Originally posted by juboy
It would appear that the R2 version does not include the DD EX soundtrack, can anyone who's actually seen/heard the R2 version confirm this please?

I rented the R2 version today and am going to watch it tonight and don't know whether to watch it in straight DD 5.1 or through my Denon 2802's version of EX (the 6.1 matrixed option).

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Where did you rent it from as Blockbuster don't seem to have it in at all?

Originally posted by Wayne Moule

A small, independant shop near me called 'Videostop'. They are excellent for DVDs and only charge £2.50 per night. I prefer using them to Blockbuster/Apollo as they actually give a cr*p about the films they buy in and rent out. Not much good to you unless you live in the Swindon area though.

Originally posted by Wayne Moule

Blockbusters appear to be boycotting some DVDs at the moment, something to do with distribution policy. This is probably one of the discs.

Occasionaly they dont get a film in, due to the shops location, so you have to drive to the other end of town.

I just buy DVD s now, cant be bothered renting as half the discs dont work properly due to mishandling by renters. I f you pay 4.00 and like the film, its only another 8.00 to buy, and no penalties for late returns.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom