We Were Soldiers Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Sep 16, 2007.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +446
      Reviewed by Chris McEneany
      As a combat film, We Were Soldiers is incredibly intense and does almost everything right. As a drama about the consequences and the tragedy of war it drops a few points. Of course an effort should be made to balance out the battle with the effects it has on those back at home, going through their own hell – but the creeping inevitability of such a split narrative is that you end up hankering for the bullets to fly once more, rather than the tears to flow. Luckily, We Were Soldiers cuts loose with a powerful sense of gritty drama and pulverising violence to compensate for the angst going on Stateside. Gibson and Elliott are utterly superb. The blood-bag igniting mayhem is a giddy gore-fest and the treatment that the ass-in-the-grass soldiers – both American and North Vietnamese – receive is honourable. Col Hal Moore’s book is required reading for anybody who enjoys this movie as, if nothing else, it will prove that movies cannot hope to come even close to emulating the true nature of bravery and savagery of warfare, no matter how enthralling an experience they may be.

This Blu-ray transfer may not look that much better than standard, but the audio side of things is absolutely breathtaking and well worth making the upgrade for. Extras-wise, it is great to see that nothing has gone AWOL from the original package. The commentary and documentary are excellent and, overall, We Were Soldiers gets a major thumbs-up from me!
      Read the full review...

2. Gary Nash

Gary Nash

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +17
      As there's no separate review for the UK blu-ray, I thought I'd add this comment for reference.

Although the UK version has improved video (AVC) & audio(6.1 DTS-MA) compared to the USA release, it has several problems:

1. Major problem with the Opening Credits having been completely omitted! The montage of scenes is still there but the film title, cast & crew credits are not overlaid as per the original theatrical release/DVD.

2. Scene captions are also missing - these normally appear as overlays to identify the location, date and time that an event or battle is taking place (I'm not talking about the captions that appear when you fire up the scene selection menu, but the overlaid text that should display as the film progresses). This is also evident in the opening scene when the first line of the narrator's comments should appear as typewritten font across the screen, then disappear as if blown away like sand.

3. Special feature documentary plays inside a window approx one-quarter the size of the available screen, rather than filling the entire screen as per the DVD release.

4. Missing the 10 deleted scenes and collection of trailers & TV spots from the DVD (and US Blu-ray).

I also note that the menus are in 2ch stereo - the UK DVD had nify 5.1 menu's with some great directional effects. Only a minor point but it does appear that more care was lavished on the DVD than the blu-ray