We start here

eddgreen25

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Your comments please on ultra tv
LG maybe next month with a size 84ins
What's the point nothing to view on it
Comments here

Not to mention the astronomical price tag ($22,100) that no 'average' consumer can afford :rolleyes:

Pointless maybe, but it's how technology moves forward. Look how long it's taken OLED to become (almost) mainstream, 4k for the masses is a while off, yet they have already started touting 8k
BBC News - Super Hi-Vision 8K TV standard approved by UN agency

Gotta love technology!

Last edited:
Still only a decade before they will cost about £6k apparently lol

eddgreen25 said:
Your comments please on ultra tv
LG maybe next month with a size 84ins
What's the point nothing to view on it
Comments here

Plus think of the hard work to talk out better halfs into letting us get a bigger screen.
Imo might as well go the pj route.

Insanity202 said:
Plus think of the hard work to talk out better halfs into letting us get a bigger screen.
Imo might as well go the pj route.

Be cheaper but i tend to prefer a tv to pj.

Not to mention the astronomical price tag ($22,100) that no 'average' consumer can afford :rolleyes:

Pointless maybe, but it's how technology moves forward. Look how long it's taken OLED to become (almost) mainstream, 4k for the masses is a while off, yet they have already started touting 8k
BBC News - Super Hi-Vision 8K TV standard approved by UN agency

Gotta love technology!
£13,000 in the uk for the LG 85ins 4k
As said the 8k is planned 8 times better then hd
It's content not there

eddgreen25 said:
£13,000 in the uk for the LG 85ins 4k
As said the 8k is planned 8 times better then hd
It's content not there

I think itll be 5 years before we see 4k content hit mainstream.

Guy I work with said that saving private Ryan was getting a 4k makeover

Absolutely no point in this until the content is available to consumers. Given that the current max bit-rate for 4k is 250mb/sec a movie could be over 3TB, so how are the studios going to get that into peoples homes?

By the time a new delivery format is available to consumers the current 4k TVs and projectors are going to have been superseded.

There's some sense in the models that can take it via hmdi or sd card for photos but the model that HCC reviewed that needed the special demo box just seems a weird solution unless they give one to demo it at home.

Absolutely no point in this until the content is available to consumers. Given that the current max bit-rate for 4k is 250mb/sec a movie could be over 3TB, so how are the studios going to get that into peoples homes?

By the time a new delivery format is available to consumers the current 4k TVs and projectors are going to have been superseded.

Surely with high speed BB now being available to most, that will be the way, streaming from Cloud based films ?????

Guy I work with said that saving private Ryan was getting a 4k makeover
SPR received a new 4K scan a couple of years ago, and that transfer formed the basis of the 1080p Blu-ray. Plenty more movies have been given 4K (or higher) scans.

The 4K material is ready, the delivery system is not.

[CynicalHatOn]

We currently have the technology to get perfect HD video and audio via Blu-ray, terrestrial and satellite TV, how often do we get it?

Heck, my local cinema (and its clientele) are happy with 2k on a huge screen. Why should they upgrade?

The technology doesn't seem to be what is getting in the way of our perfect experience.

[/CynicalHatOn]

[CynicalHatOn]

We currently have the technology to get perfect HD video and audio via Blu-ray, terrestrial and satellite TV, how often do we get it?

Heck, my local cinema (and its clientele) are happy with 2k on a huge screen. Why should they upgrade?

The technology doesn't seem to be what is getting in the way of our perfect experience.

[/CynicalHatOn]

2k and 4k material is delivered to cinemas on pre-recorded hard drives. Actually these are much cheaper to produce than the old 35mm film stock. Not sure what the standard is for 'live' satellite transmissions from theatres and concert halls. Our local cinema shows live performances on the big screen from the Metropolitan Opera House in New York.

I'll only be interested in 4k / 8k where it's use has some sensible, real-world application.

Passive 3D TVs that can do 1080p, IMAX theatres, ultra high viewing angle VR headsets etc.

But for Mr & Mrs Average watching their 50" TV from their sofa at 11ft, the increased pixel count alone is pretty worthless?

The price is obviously not right for the masses (or me) but I'd have one if I could. Imagine upscaled Blu rays on the big screen, I suspect they'd look great.. if not true 4K. So you would have some content to start you off.. until...

Seems to be a few neg comments about delivery but i thought i had seen somewhere that Sony has developed a new compression codec allowing almost all in the industry to adopt a 4k solution at a very reasonable cost (unlike 8k) so ....unless i am missing something this can now become fairly mainstream pretty quickly?

Surely we will see more and more sets being unveiled and smaller screens with hopefully smaller prices as well.
If so- count me in.

Sky will probably release a 4k channel next year and charge £4000 a month for it. Lol

stblob said:
Sky will probably release a 4k channel next year and charge £4000 a month for it. Lol

But to get it you need to subscribe to everything and sign and additional 10 family members, dont forget the installation charge!

As I understand it, these 4K TVs are edge-lit with the problems associated with edge lighting. :thumbsdow

Now, if they were Full back-lit LED I might take a look at them but as it is, I might as well buy a LG 670 for far less. :rolleyes:

How long has it taken 1080 to get where it is? Still see more DVDs for sale than blurays. 4k as mainstream is going to be more than 10 years away. We need to be out of recession for a start and then need faster broadband and peoples income will need to go up a fair bit to afford the sets, players and connections. Not forgetting how big the average screen will need to be to benefit, people are still buying 40" sets.

I hear many people saying that there isn't really any 4k content out there and we'll have to wait until Hollywood produces 4k movies etc (like the Hobbit). However from what I understand 35mm film which most films have been shot on for ages have resolutions at least equivalent to 4k?

Doesn't that mean that if film studios go back and scan their film library again in 4k then we can watch all the old movies in 4k? I would imagine that they already have done this when they did scans/remasters for blu ray of their library. I think I read somewhere that the old James Bond movies when being released on Blu Ray were scanned at 4k.

BB

My view FWIW, is the current batch of 4K TV are a stopgap. OLED is the next step forward but it would seem LG and Samsung are having problems, or why are they not pushing for sales?

So what is new with 4K TVs? They are edge-lit TVs and I am no fan of that as I wonder whether the centre of an 84" screen will be lit sufficiently. There is a scarcity of 4K but hey... the TV will upgrade to ersatz 4K. And it is expensive. Great! :laugh: And how heavy is it?

Just my thoughts. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom