1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We Deserve Better

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by poynter, Feb 4, 2002.

1. poynter

poynter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why is it that the american players, even those that are supposed to be the same models as ours, always seem to have more or better facilities.
    take for eg: the new Denon 1600, US model has Sage/Faroudja
    interlacing.

There is a Panasonic called the RP-91 which looks identical to the RA-71, but once again it has full progressive scan output, 12bit video dacs, dvd-ram compatability and they're cheaper.

Then there are the more obscure brands, like APEX, that have various models coming, including one called the AD-7702. This boasts dvd-audio SACD, HDCD, mp3 and has Firewire outputs, progressive and component outputs and is firmware upgradable. All this for $349!
    Are we to be always short changed?:eek:

2. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Poynter, the RP91 is an awfully good player, indeed. It's the best of my 3 progressive scanning players, picture quality wise. It scales non-anamorphic DVD's and makes them look much better. It plays DVD-A discs too. Without paying mega bucks for hi-end "kits", it's one of the best players available. They sell almost faster than Panasonic can supply them. Maybe you should consider trying to import one? They generally sell in the $425 to $500 range.

Forget Apex!!!!!! They'e cheap Chinese made players prone to breakdowns. None of their models has had a superior picture quality so far, most have been below average. Be glad they're not sold in the U.K.!

Best wishes!

3. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Poynter,

Check out the headlines section, Lexicon are to sell a prog component player (DVD1000) for less than 200 smackers through Debenhams. Things are looking up, must be the way to go now given the huge popularity in PJ's. A word of caution though, cheap isn't always better.

Rachael,

We get those cheapo Chinese players too, usually sold for peanuts in supermarkets (apt don't you think?). A false economy if you ask me.

By the way, we have spoken before under my 'other' pseudonym;)

4. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Dick, ths is certainly a clever new name! I like it!:p There's been several news stories about the cheapie Chinese players in the news here lately claiming they're not paying their patent fees for the technology they employ. I expect a push to lock them out till they do. Apparently they are a false economy, completely! The Chinese don't seem to have much regard for intellectual property. Best wishes!

5. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll find it's Lecson

Steve

6. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CP,

Totally correct. That's what happens when you use one hand for typing and the other for scratching!

7. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hey Steve, I was wondering about the Lexicon thang...? Here, Lexicon is an ultra expensive brand and I was doubting and wondering wheather they sold 200 pound players! I was thinking that's wrong, maybe 2000 pound players? Lexicon's pre/processors run $4000 and up here. Best wishes!