1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We All Knew This Was Coming....

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Indiana Jones, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,323
    Saw this listed on DVDAnswers yesterday...

So its pretty much the same 2 Disc release which R2/3/4 got earlier in the year but this time instead of the extended edition just consisting of the 1904 opening scene they have stuck in afew of the Deleted Scenes to make a longer Extended Edition.

Personally I think the film is fine (if you can use that word) as it is and the Deleted Scenes were best left in the Deleted Scenes section on the 2nd disc but it is interesting that this release includes Deleted Scenes which were not in the previous 1 or 2 Disc releases but I dont think that will be enough to make anyone who already has the 2 Disc R2/3/4 release buy it again but if you are a fan in the US it will be a nice set.

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    I hate it when they do this. [​IMG]

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,323
    At least they released the 1 and 2 Disc Editions in the UK at the same time so we had a choice of barebones release or Loaded with Extras release, the US just got the barebones release with no mention of a 2 Disc release until yesterday.

It is interesting though that brand new Deleted Scenes have appeared out of no where so Fox must have been planning this since late last year or would have included them on the current 2 Disc release, how sneaky is that.

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

Sneaky indeed. Dam them [​IMG]

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Dont think I will be getting this.
    I manged to pick up the standard 1 disc edition for 3.99 the other day at chelmsford market. Brand new and sealed to :smashin:

6. ns1col

ns1col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What a suprise. :mad:

7. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Unless the commentary contains the word "sorry" at least a hundred times I aint interested.

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

[​IMG]

9. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Can't see many peoploe who bought the UK 2 discer bothering with this one...especially now you can get the Extreme edition so cheap!

It really is getting annoying with how much this is happening though...talk about money making scams :mad:

10. Battle

Battle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    Unfortunatly it will only stop when people stop buying them

11. Demonio

Demonio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree completely.. why do people buy the first versions, especially considering the controversy there's been with this movie being rated pg-13 (**** you FOX!) and paul anderson claiming it got cut..

I personally would never buy this movie, no matter what the unrated version turns out to be, cuz this movie blows, i doubt a few mins uncut would change the whole plot :p

Anyone got a hint about how much extra (min) footage there will be in the unrated?

[Post edited by Mod for swearing]

12. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Makes you wonder who the pirates really are? ;) ;)

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

Well said :thumbsup:

14. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,323
    You do know that there never was an R rated cut of this film dont you? all those rumors about Fox cutting it to a PG-13 were just that, rumors which got started from a single report someone posted back before the film was released.
    Anderson himself said in a video interview which you can watch on the net that the film we saw at the cinema was what he intended all along and that the only bit he regretted not adding was the original 1904 opening sequence but considering we got that with the original DVD release, this new Extended Edition is nothing but Fox wanting to offer something extra to try and get all the people who bought the original 1 Disc release to buy the new release.

The Extended Cut has a running time of 115mins which is 15mins longer than the Theatrical Cut but unless it contains some major character development which actually makes me care about the characters this time I dont see how they will add anything to the film and to be honest the 11 Deleted Scenes on the 2 Disc release were left out for a good reason so why anyone would want them back in the film is beyond me.

Also, dont assume because it says 'Unrated' that its going to contain any extra gore or violence, it just means it hasent be submitted to the MPAA.

15. Demonio

Demonio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trust me I know all this, I was a huge fan and followed the whole production of this 'supposedly fan movie' ever since the greenlight was given, until we all (us real fans, not the kiddos who loved avp) got led down by Fox and Paul WS. I mean honestly during the production, most of us avid fans really thought this movie looked interesting, even plot wise, and definitely costume & effect wise.
    That interview, i guess your talking about that one that got posted e.g. on blood-disgusting.com where Anderson claims "all the best got cut, 30 min blabla" right? This is no news to me, i knew this was fake, but since i've read so much bulls**t the last 1½ years about this movie, I wouldn't know what to trust really. I just hoped to the last that Anderson wasn't a complete liar, as he stated clearly in a magazine longtime before AvP's release (can't remember the name, some gory magz) that it's definitely gonna be rated R, and Tom Woodroff backed him up, so perhaps there actually are some gory scenes that got cut, probably by Anderson himself because he was more interested in more money than 'love' from the fans.
    If this movie at least had been rated R, and we actually had more than 2 real Alien vs Predator fights, this movie wouldn't have been such a disaster, because we all knew from the start that Paul Anderson can't write for s**t as we saw in both RE movies so what did we expect.

Btw i agree nothing could lift this movie's boring characters, i hated them, wanted them all to die, but hey there weren't much fun in that either, cuz we didn't actually see them die, just some lame cut-away and a scream, whoopy!

16. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Nope the only extra "gore" if you can call it that , was during the predator/alien fights ... not human gore .... just some coloured ky jelly or its digital equivalent , lobbed about most likely.

The film was only ever greenlit by being a PG13.

However this needn't have made it a complete loss ...plenty of movies have managed to scare the audience without lashings of gore ( Jaws , Jurassic Park ...even Aliens could have managed it with maybe a slight editing down of the chestburster scene and the language toning down... I think it might even have been reclassified as a 15 these days).

For what its worth I felt the basic plot of AVP could have worked. The art direction was up to snuff and the effects were adequate ( the CG aliens are actually more lifelike than the guys in suits to be honest) . Totally let down by a complete lack of pace and terrible acting, although the script didn't help.

With the sort of resources and budget they had a decent edgey new director could have pulled off a decent little action/jeapordy movie ( Dog Soldiers anyone?) instead we got something more akin to an extended advert for the sticker album.

17. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess when your potential market for a film is this small (honestly, who's buying this?), you have to milk your fans for as much £££ as possible. I expect a 3-disc version in 18 months.