We about to hit a long term peak for AV Receivers?

Don't laugh, but I am currently living in the Philippines and had to consider my own dedicated transformer, power poles and powerlines for clean power some years ago [not cheap}. To cut a long story short the power company added one much improved transformer and I use a dedicated line from that. It certainly improved the lighting / aircon stability a lot, even the electric fan speed would vary in the past, but not any more.
I just took a peak at the pictures of your home and your set-up... I'm not laughing at all.

Your home and garden is just WOW😍!

Indeed it is a peak/stable period for AVRs (i wont comment on the HDMI situation you folks said it all).
The innovation probs need to come from the room correction software; at the high end of the spectrum, Lyngdorf, Trinnov and co are nailing it, and their (yet antoher) black boxes carry a price tag worthy of the feaures.
Some AVRs are trying few things, such as Dante protocol for example in some JBL Synthesis', Denon's shy attempt at wireless surrounds (HEOS AVR something)....
I still think Zone 2/3 are after-thoughts in AVRs, and the Dual/Triple Outs are rarely independant, but again most people will set the AVR in a dedicated/non dedicated room and use it for one system.
The advances in digital compression will make HDMI's 40/48 gbs more than enough for all content (even if 8K bcomes a reality, with DSC it would flow freely in 2.1)
I got my X8500 end of 2019, and i dont think i would need an upgrade anytime soon, if i had the cash i would swap it for a Trinnov, but im a happy camper anyways.
Manifcaturers can always surprise you though, so let's keep an eye and see what's the best next best thing :)

Sound United have one more card to play.......16 channels please (at least !)
Not worried about "better" sound as I think we have nearly maxed out on that.

Whilst I don't dispute the principle, I dispute the values here. My viewing distance is 3m (measured with a laser measure held to my head) and I can clearly see a noticeable increase in detail on 4k stuff on my 55" TV.
I don't wear glasses, but my eyesight is nowhere near perfect.
Confirming what I said - We all buy the upgrade because we are thoroughly convinced we can see amazing improvements that we would be missing out on otherwise. Whether it's 2m (fully appreciate) or 4m (some difference) make little difference when I sit further away.

So are you simply an armchair expert google monkey, or are your comments based on practical experience, which you can back up, with specifics from first hand evidence, putting your own name and credibility on the line? That particular “popular” chart you have used, has been around for quite sometime (it’s certainly dated… The first time I saw it was more than 7 years ago, maybe even closer to 10+ years ago), and over the years I have witnessed numerous times it been proven to be inaccurate, on other AV sites, such as AVSforum, and Blu-ray.com.
I did not check the trigonometry, if that's the question and yes, I googled for a chart instead of making my own. If you have a better chart, please post a link to it, even better if it's backed by the calculations to prove its correctness. Determining the eye's visual acuity is a popular school exercise (e.g. here).

My name is on the post, so it should be clear that I am indeed putting my name and credibility on the line (Is your name really "cevolution" ? ;) )

There is more to come... and IMO it is in the RoomEQ and Digital audio processing realm - Dirac has released Unison for the auto environment, and has been hinting at similar tech for AVR's....

I think they were lining up to release it at CES this year, but what with Covid, they delayed it.

The ability to use ALL the speakers to actively cancel out or boost undesirable/desirable aspects will lead to changes... If every full range speaker in the room can be used to balance out bass nulls.... an even bass response throughout the room will become the norm.

As it is Audyssey never quite achieved its potential, and it looks like Dirac is on track to get our systems to the next level.

For most AVR's (including current Dirac ones) this will mean an AVR replacement... it will almost certainly require substantially more processing power.

Similarly we will get more advanced Video compression algorhythms, which will enable 4k/8k material.... but will also require new AVR processing hardware. ( This sort of stuff could theoretically be achieved via firmware upgrades in some cases.... but why would they? )

I have a brand new Integra DRX 3.4 AVR - but if they relase Dirac Unison - I will seriously be considering replacing it .... Dirac has made the biggest difference to my sound quality in years... I don't have DLBC for multiple sub integration... but with Unison and multiple subs, well, that would lift the game to a new high.

Dirac has released Unison for the auto environment, and has been hinting at similar tech for AVR's....

I wasn't aware of Unison. After now reading up the potential of an AVR implemented system, I couldn't agree more that it sounds really interesting. The concept of "support speakers" - excellent.

There is more to come... and IMO it is in the RoomEQ and Digital audio processing realm - Dirac has released Unison for the auto environment, and has been hinting at similar tech for AVR's....

I think they were lining up to release it at CES this year, but what with Covid, they delayed it.

The ability to use ALL the speakers to actively cancel out or boost undesirable/desirable aspects will lead to changes... If every full range speaker in the room can be used to balance out bass nulls.... an even bass response throughout the room will become the norm.

As it is Audyssey never quite achieved its potential, and it looks like Dirac is on track to get our systems to the next level.

For most AVR's (including current Dirac ones) this will mean an AVR replacement... it will almost certainly require substantially more processing power.

Similarly we will get more advanced Video compression algorhythms, which will enable 4k/8k material.... but will also require new AVR processing hardware. ( This sort of stuff could theoretically be achieved via firmware upgrades in some cases.... but why would they? )

I have a brand new Integra DRX 3.4 AVR - but if they relase Dirac Unison - I will seriously be considering replacing it .... Dirac has made the biggest difference to my sound quality in years... I don't have DLBC for multiple sub integration... but with Unison and multiple subs, well, that would lift the game to a new high.
I love the way a system developed (maybe co-developed) by Lotus to reduce unwanted noise by using the same frequency to cancel them out in the cabin via the speakers has made its way into the cinema sector. I'm not 100% sure if this is where its coming from, but it does sound similar to what's being said. I think Lotus was playing with it back in 90's which if it is, it's taken a long time for it to hit

The only real downside with this is are our speaker choices going to become limited if everything that sounds different is eliminated. I for one don't mind some of the nuances in my room which are a part of the room and speakers combined. You take to much away and you may take the heart of the speaker away. I've already experienced this with one of the best Room EQ systems currently available where it masked a foot tap with what sounded more like a hand clap. Prior to that, I'd just enjoyed the sound and never noticed it until it was gone

Last edited:
I love the way a system developed (maybe co-developed) by Lotus to reduce unwanted noise by using the same frequency to cancel them out in the cabin via the speakers has made its way into the cinema sector. I'm not 100% sure if this is where its coming from, but it does sound similar to what's being said. I think Lotus was playing with it back in 90's which if it is, it's taken a long time for it to hit

The only real downside with this is are our speaker choices going to become limited if everything that sounds different is eliminated. I for one don't mind some of the nuances in my room which are a part of the room and speakers combined. You take to much away and you may take the heart of the speaker away. I've already experienced this with one of the best Room EQ systems currently available where it masked a foot tap with what sounded more like a hand clap. Prior to that, I'd just enjoyed the sound and never noticed it until it was gone
If it is masking detail... then it is failing in its primary purpose...

Yes I think it sounds a lot like the active noise suppression system that lotus was working on - but I am sure it has been developed independently - we are 30 years on from that!

Still, much like Dirac Live, such a system is likely to also incorporate the ability for the user to tailor his/her target curves, and approach to the sound in the room - while still providing easy to use defaults.

Some people have even used Dirac to experiment with giving one speaker the "voicing" of a different one...

Whereas up until now, you chose your systems voicing by choosing your speakers (primarily) - we have now reached the point, where with a sufficiently high quality speaker system, you can opt for whatever voicing you like!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom