• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

WDtv setup advice

Klonricket

Standard Member
Hi,

Newbie forum user here. Have had a WDTV for about 6 months and love it. However, I wanted some advice on my hardware setup.

My current setup is the WDTV is in my living room under the main TV. This is connected via homeplugs to my computer in another room. A third home plug is connected to my BT Infinity Home Hub sharing out the internet to both the WDTV and PC. The computer has a Network Share on the go and 80% of the time everything is good. The other 20% is when the streaming breaks down if I use the computer whilst the someone watches an HD movie on the WDTV or the Windows decides to do something in the background whilst we are streaming a HD movie.

I'm considering buying a WD My Book Live/Essential to take the reliance on computer streaming out of the equation. However, I'm trying to work out the best combination to go for.

The Essential would handy as it could connect to the WDTV via USB however I have to disconnect it and carry it down to the computer to add new content. And unless I go grab a USB 3.0 card I'll have to wait an age to transfer larger files.

The Live could connect to the computer via the homeplug, or directly into the Home Hub's router however this will have use the network to stream to the WDTV.

Has any one got any advice on what I should do? Ideally, I'd love to find something like the Live that could connect to the computer to copy stuff over by ethernet when more convenient, and connect to the WDTV by USB to playback content without touching the network.

Cheers!

NX3

Prominent Member
So your WDTV connects to your PC via the router, just via homeplugs.

What speed homeplugs have you got ? 200mpbs plus would be needed.

Are you just using a samba share on the PC ? Have you tried a DLNA server instead like Serviio ? (Its free)

What are doing on the PC to slow it down so much ? Browsing or playing games ?

Klonricket

Standard Member
There are three homeplugs, all 200mbps. They aren't set up in any particular way. The Internet is kinda just shovelled out to whatever machine is asking.

I have used a few media servers in the past, PS3 Media Server, Twonky and TVersity and found them to be okay, but network shares has been the most reliable.

I will certainly check out Serviio. The computer gets used for a number of things, video editing, uploading media content, skype, podcasting. That kind of stuff.

So your WDTV connects to your PC via the router, just via homeplugs.

What speed homeplugs have you got ? 200mpbs plus would be needed.

Are you just using a samba share on the PC ? Have you tried a DLNA server instead like Serviio ? (Its free)

What are doing on the PC to slow it down so much ? Browsing or playing games ?

NX3

Prominent Member
Serviio is vastly better imo than those servers.

Have you thought about a NAS ? So on the network, copy / stream files, no having to move around the house and no impact on the PC.

Klonricket

Standard Member
I have, but the cost was a little more of a decent 3TB NAS when compared to the Live/Essential. Also the WDTV can serve out content on the drive to other network devices.

Serviio is vastly better imo than those servers.

Have you thought about a NAS ? So on the network, copy / stream files, no having to move around the house and no impact on the PC.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom