• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

WDTV or WD TV Live Hub

dspit1664

Established Member
I all,
Oh well up again early because of the kids so no lay in for me ;) so thought would post some more of my grand plans for my house setup.

Just bought QNAP 412 to store and stream my video and music centrally as well as my photos. Now want a media/dlna device ( I think this is right ;) still a bit new to all what's out there and the terminology) to sit at my tv end in bedroom so I can 1. Stream from my NAS and stream from Internet as is the wdtv capability.
So
1. What's the difference to the two devices mentioned in title, I know one has hdd the other doesn't what's the other pros / cons ?
2. Is this the best device, note for now I don't want to lay out £££?
3. How could I use this or other to replace my sky + record playback function as looking to replace the record option soon ( or is that a whole different discussion + a different forum ?)

Thanks all for advice :)

Last edited:

dspit1664

Established Member
In addition to above
There seems to be a dearth of devices what with
Roku and sony's offering and that is not incl apple tv (as ever that piece of kit is slick)
So apologies for comment, just making sure nothing gets lost in my tidal wave of questions, can I get answers to all my questions in this and above postings :mad:)
Thanks again all.

MarkE19

First off I suggest you click on the 'Report Post' button and ask a moderator to move this thread to the dedicated video media streamer (not music media strreamer) section of the forum as you will likely get more responses there - Streamers & Network Media Players | AVForums.com - UK Online
1. What's the difference to the two devices mentioned in title, I know one has hdd the other doesn't what's the other pros / cons ?
Well htere has just been a new version of the WDTV Live released that has a newer chipset but runs basically the same firmware as the Hub. So the differences between the 2 are basically just the 1Tb HDD in the Hub.
The older WDTV Live runs an older firmware with less features, but there is another firmware you can put on it to add some of the missing features - B-RAD
2. Is this the best device, note for now I don't want to lay out £££?
Not the best, but they are very good value for money. There are literally hundreds of other media players, some a bit cheaper to some a lot more expensive. The top players are from the likes of Popcorn Hour or HDI Dune (my personal choice) and down to the cheap and not very good Sumvision.
3. How could I use this or other to replace my sky + record playback function as looking to replace the record option soon ( or is that a whole different discussion + a different forum ?)
Media players are not generally able to record TV. A few can but are normally limited to DVB-T (ie Freeview through an aerial) receiving & recording and these features are generally limited.

Mark.

dspit1664

Established Member
Hi thanks for highlighting this needs to be in different forum and all the info too. What I am fundamentally wanting is a device in the bedroom that can take a stream from my central QNAP 412, have access to kids tv and various free view, freview hd and record. Is there one type of device which provides all this or am I looking at a few devices here ?

MarkE19

For streaming to the bedroom then a Dune TV101 should do all you want. If you add a Dune HD TV Stick then you will also be able to us the TV101 to watch Freeview (SD only) channels.
For recording TV I don't think any media players will do as good a job as a dedicated PVR.

Mark.

dspit1664

Established Member
Firstly thanks Silverfox

So should I wait for the 301 as it'll be shiny new ?
And I think I read here in this thread, but sure have read elsewhere that it may or may not have a hdd some part due to current hdd manufacturing problems. Will it have an internal hdd?

MarkE19

The TV301 is not supplied with a HDD unless you order it from your retailer at the same time. But the player does have a hot swap bay for a 2.5" (laptop) HDD so you can easily fit your own at any time.
If you don't need the extra connectivity & internal HDD option offered by the TV301 then the TV101 with an external USB HDD or just media streamed from the NAS should also be a good option. The TV101 was only released a month or so back so is not an old model that is being replaced by the TV301.

Mark.

dspit1664

Established Member
Hi
I really initially only intend to connect it to my bedroom tv. So I guess since I have ( or very shortly will have) a NAS setup to stream 1. I can use that 2. I can add an external drive via USB 3. I can us tv content which is fundamentally the same in the 101 or the 301?

MarkE19

Yep, all that should work fine.

Mark.

dspit1664

Established Member
Hi Mark,
well you definitely given me a lot to think of pre-order 301 as only a little more than 101 or order a 101 now.

Thanks again:smashin::smashin::smashin:

MarkE19

Well hopefully my comments have been more of a help than just a matter of throwing a spanner in the works :blush:

Have fun deciding,
Mark.

dspit1664

Established Member
Lol well to be honest I have pre-ordered (can I say that here ?) from Graham the 301 so may just stick as need time to play with my QNAP when I get it x-fingers this week and then it's full on count down to the jollies with my two little girls so end of Dec may not be such a bad thing given that hopefully QNAP don't delay even more ;)

Cheers all

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom