WDTV Live woes

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Rigsby123, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Rigsby123

Rigsby123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have this ongoing problem for some time now - and it seems to get worse everyday.

I have a WDTV Live box connected to my PC (Windows 7) via ethernet. The box is connected to the TV via HDMI. There's no problem with the video - it's the audio that's the trouble.

I've connected the box to my Panasonic SA-HT900 (Home Theatre) via an optical cable. It won't play the audio on DTS encoded videos (don't really know why), but what really bugs me is when I play DD5.1. It takes longer and longer to get the Panasonic to output the audio without stuttering (and the display flashing) all the time. Today for instance I've rebooted the PC twice and the WDTV box and after an hour I'm no closer to watching a DD5.1 encoded film. Other times - very rare I might add - it plays flawlessly as soon as I switch it on.

I've tried checking and re-checking the network connection; changing the digital/optical properties etc. I've even used Twonky and PS3 Media Server which work sporadically along with ordinary Windows network connections. NOTHING seems to solve the problem once and for all.

Any ideas would be greatly welcome as I'm reaching the point of swapping out the box for another brand.

2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sounds like you've got a faulty box to be honest as never had these problems. WDTV is more than capable of playing these files.

Have you updated the firmware on your WDTV ?
    The Panasonic system works fine from other devices using DTS ?
    Have you tried playing the file locally e.g from a USB device plug directly into the WDTV ? What happens ?

3. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,383
    Its not your WDTV , its the panasonic all in one unit , which are notorious for not handling surround codecs properly from any other source outside of its own DVD player.
    Heres an example ....

MKV DTS Sound Issue

4. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Also trying plugging the WDTV directly into the tv via HDMI, no audio via the panasonic. WDTV will downmix to stereo, confirm if its playing normally and that WDTV is operating properly.

5. Rigsby123

Rigsby123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies guys. From what I read here I guess it's all down to the Panasonic.

The WDTV has the latest firmware; A USB plugged in has the same problem; Haven't got any other media devices to try; Playing in stereo works fine - it's only DD5.1 that takes an age to settle down. So it's grin and bear it or buy another decoder etc.

By the way Andy1249, can't get thru that link into wdtvforum site. It says I've been blocked cos I'm a spammer !!

Thanks for all the help.

6. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If playing via tv works fine this confirms it the Panasonic unit imo.

7. gmp

gmp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Sounds like similar problem to one that I and others had a couple of years ago with LG all-in-one H Cine systems. Worked fine with dvd played on unit and even digital inputs from Sky HD worked ok. But when digital inputs from Media Streamers and Bluray players started being connected, they just couldn't process signal quickly enough/properly. Might be worth a look to see if there is any firmware update available for your Panasonice system though.

8. Rigsby123

Rigsby123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the help folks. Seems like I've sorta fixed it. By switching the unit on and just leaving it for around 30mins (without doing anything) - it appears to sort itself out. A little patience I guess..