• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Wdtv live with iPad???

s1oww

Standard Member
I'm looking to upgrade my media player.
I am looking at the new wdtv live box. All i want to do is be able to play movies off my external hard drive and watch things like BBC player etc off my iPad or even my lap top.

I need it to be wifi because my phone socket is nowhere near my tv.

I already have the older wd box and it's been great, the new live box seems to do everything I want, but cant find out if it plays on demand stuff through iPad or pc?

I don't really want to buy this and apple tv.

next010

Distinguished Member
It doesn't support that kind of integration, the Boxee Box is what you might be interested in as it has Airplay support so you can send video from your iPad to it but it does not play protected video. Boxee also has it's own iPlayer interface app on the player itself and of course it plays everything the WDTV plays from USB or network storage.

s1oww

Standard Member
So the boxer will do all I need?
Films from my hard drive
Wireless
Play from iPad
With bbc I player, itv, 4od, 5 on demand?

next010

Distinguished Member
There is an iPlayer in the main app repository and there are third party apps which interface with the 5 on Demand and ITV Player websites (you add the website address in settings then can install those apps) have not tried those personally and third party apps do break.

Boxee also has a flash capable web browser so it can view any site that uses it although you really need a keyboard/mouse to use web browser properly.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom